Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would have asked for a Codex fundraiser about this and I would have backed it, if I hadn't made a promise to myself that Deadfire is the last game I'm backing before I've seen it released.

Then again, if there is a Codex fundraiser and I like the badge, I may reconsider...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/posts/2195397

Greed: turning our own dark side against us

This is wonderful! We are getting closer to the Rillow stretch goal thanks to your amazing support!

We have received several questions about add-ons, especially the one that gives you all future DLCs and Expansions for +€15, asking how to add it to your pledge on Kickstarter. We will therefore dedicate a future Update to our Add-Ons. In the meantime, don't hesitate to message us if you have any questions.

In the remaining part of this update, we would like to give you an additional glimpse into the main motives of Black Geyser's backstory: greed and envy.

bb8835440bb3077265945606f49b9adf_original.jpg

Wizards obsessed by greed often become paranoid and shield their houses (development version)
55f6a6cd50fee9c503b57f69aeb930c4_original.png

Fear is the obvious path into darkness, greed is the hidden path
In the Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness backstory, spreading greed is a new plot by dark gods to infiltrate, turn, and eventually wipe the world of mortals. Mortals have learned to cope with fear and evil, but have not learned to face their own weaknesses such as envy or greed. While fear from an external force makes people stick together, envy and greed silently divide and turn them against each other.

Greed is deeply rooted in the game lore, and is very special because it has a dual nature: it has a divine origin, but relies and feasts on the very nature of mortal beings. It exploits something that every mortal has had since their creation. It confronts us with our own dark side that has always existed, turning it against us. Mortals turned by greed become connected to the divine source (divine nature) of the curse, increasing its global strength. This corrupts even more mortals, resulting in a cycle of feedback to the evil divine source.

593cea23314b5717c1701ecb23b404d4_original.jpg

Greed does not mean you are evil
Being greedy does not mean you are evil, and you can be evil without being greedy.

NPCs affected by greed are not necessarily evil. If they hire you for a quest to retrieve an item because of their obsession and you complete the quest, you were good but contributed to the divine curse of greed, eventually making the kingdom even more chaotic. If you complete the quest but keep the item for yourself and even kill the innocent NPCs who hired you, you were evil and greedy. If you persuade them to change their mind about the quest in a branching dialogue, you were good and also fought against greed. And so on and so forth.

When you choose to be more generous and convince other NPCs (influencers) to do the same, then you attempt to break the feedback cycle to the evil divine source. While there is no way to break it completely, you can slow down the process, resulting in a "better", different state of the world by the time you reach the last chapter of the game. And different state means different challenges and adventures.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
if people are greedy but innocent I guess we have to assume they're mind controlled by 'the divine curse of greed'.

10/10 GOTY, best writing ever, At Least It's Not Obsidian

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
The dark gods are evil, and greed is of the evil gods. People can be good while spreading the evil of greed though. If you go and simply do as the good people asked you to do and retrieve an item for them, you're a greedy bastard. If you then go and stop those people who are spreading evil while being totally good, and you simply keep an item that you retrieved under mortal danger to yourself (totally evil lolz), you are more evil than the people who were spreading evil. And since there's no one left to give the item to, you're greedy too.

Can I please just shoot you all in the face right now, because there's no hope for this species

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
if people are greedy but innocent I guess we have to assume they're mind controlled by 'the divine curse of greed'.

10/10 GOTY, best writing ever, At Least It's Not Obsidian
No,it means that they are shit at making money!

PS:It is shame that i can't troll you with a retarded rating :( .

Cael

Arcane
Gorgon Gekko is going to have a field day with this game :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stretch goal achieved: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/posts/2196548

Kendall the Blacksmith and... Ay'eda the Mystic

Ho there adventurers,

Great news! We have reached the 75k goal (Rillow is now a playable race!) as well as our social stretch goal of 500 shares (Kendall the Blacksmith).

The next social stretch goal is Ay'eda the Mystic, located in Isilbright, with 750 facebook shares. We will soon reveal more about her!

The next financial stretch goal is finally 100k: a brand-new wilderness area with its own dwellers, secrets, and subquests: Valley of Singing Trees. And a brand-new spellcaster class! More information coming soon on this class.

By the way, stretch goals. You certainly know Pathfinder: Kingmaker, an absolutely amazing cRPG also inspired by Baldur's Gate, developed by Owlcat Games. They finish their post-Kickstarter crowdfunding this Friday (in Europe: today), so this is the last time you can contribute towards unlocking their truly exciting stretch goals. (Note: the below image shows Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness stretch goals, not theirs.)

a24e59da748cf6287e02809f2ae01e74_original.png

vazha

Arcane
Ridiculous quirks aside, the game looks good, seems to be focused on being unforgiving and has a good chance of being not boring akin to some pirate-themed SJW garbage that recently saw the light of day. Codex fundraiser seems a legit idea all of a sudden.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/posts/2196998

Ay'eda, a new NPC as a social stretch goal

For our next social stretch goal we will be introducing a new NPC to the game. Her origins are shrouded in mist, her wares are powerful, and her secrets are expensive. She may guide you towards a brighter future for Isilmerald, or show you the dark road to forbidden knowledge.

What mysteries might she hide in her caravan? What dangers await those willing to listen to her advice? What riches and power might come to those who seek it? Players will be confronted by these questions when they pull back the silken curtain to meet Ay'eda, the Mystic.

Since our next financial goal is now 100k, more information on the brand-new spellcaster class is coming soon as well! Stay tuned!

eab076a330aaf1023fd96a30fa1061e2_original.png

And now for something completely different. If you like the sound of an open-world action RPG featuring airships, floating islands, dungeons and dynamically destructible monsters and environments, check out Wild Mage - Phantom Twilight!

Wild Mage - Phantom Twilight on Kickstarter

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
generic NPC's as a stretch goal :lol:

what are these guys going to come up with next? Plane tickets to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the EU as a stretch goal?

My dear dim-witted friends, there was never a chance for Black Geyser to be completed. This scamstarter was launched exclusively for the pleasure of milking money from the Kodex while laughing at you. They've most certainly spent the time since we drove their representative off in shame to study the likes and dislikes of the hivemind.

Enjoy playing with Pepperoni Elves and Crushmasters in your dreams

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's dangerous to have words like "Black Geyser Supporter" written on your profile page.
DU will be sure to change it to something specific for the occasion - at least "Black Geyser Positive", if not something even more spicy.

I'm pretty sure he is at work thinking of ways to troll even now.

agris

Arcane
Patron
i will back the codex fundraiser if the badge art is appropriate

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
generic NPC's as a stretch goal :lol:

what are these guys going to come up with next? Plane tickets to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the EU as a stretch goal?

My dear dim-witted friends, there was never a chance for Black Geyser to be completed. This scamstarter was launched exclusively for the pleasure of milking money from the Kodex while laughing at you. They've most certainly spent the time since we drove their representative off in shame to study the likes and dislikes of the hivemind.

Enjoy playing with Pepperoni Elves and Crushmasters in your dreams

:planetickets:

AwesomeButton

Patron
"Domain of the Jotnar" will be the setting for the second game, where you have to stop greedy vikings from instituting a 6 day work week.

Tigranes

Arcane
Holy shit I just looked at their map. It's even similar to the Sword Coast region.

20151117_Sword-Coast-Map.jpg

4ef732466581d59787f6f67e8071df20_original.jpg

Look, you have to understand that the entire game is driven by a rigorous and consistent philosophy of Copypasta, and it is important to stick to your vision

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
If the badge resembles Kickstarter logo shoved up the bum, I'll pitch in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom