Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Translation is a huge investment (as I said, ABSOLUTE MINIMUM for a SHITTY translation is 5 cents per word, average is around 10 and professional agencies can go into the 20s, and RPGs have tens if not hundreds of thousands of words) and an indie shouldn't go for that many languages for the first release under any circumstances, really. Not even many big budget games have that many languages.

Make the game in English, IF you get a translation get a German one because that's the biggest market share (but then again, most Germans are willing to play their games in English too). If your game is successful, THEN you can think about additional translations, most relevant would be Spanish, Russian or French, possibly Italian. Anything else is only advisable if you know that the country in question will have a huge fanbase, like when you make a game set in medieval Hungary making a Hungarian translation is a good idea, or when your studio is based in the country and you can become popular locally.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
like when you make a game set in medieval Hungary making a Hungarian translation is a good idea, or when your studio is based in the country and you can become popular locally.

Some of the developers (at least the European part) are Hungarians, so Hungarian would be "free" (as in money not as in time). They also seem to have at least some connections to Hungarian press, so a Hungarian version might make sense, but it's a small country, so it'd probably be more for the bragging rights to their friends / family.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah, Hungarian makes sense then. Czech doesn't really, though, and neither do most of the Romance languages for a small indie RPG. English, German, Russian are the sensible languages for an RPG (although Russian a bit less so because most Russians torrent anyway).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yeah, Hungarian makes sense then. Czech doesn't really, though, and neither do most of the Romance languages for a small indie RPG. English, German, Russian are the sensible languages for an RPG (although Russian a bit less so because most Russians torrent anyway).

In general you can skip the smaller countries, because they are used to not getting stuff translated. German on the other hand can make sense, it's a market for that kind of games and Germans are also an entitled bunch who despite of years of English in school cannot into speaking or reading it.

From the Google Play page of their last game said:
Alles auf Englisch! Ich konnte nicht mal das Totorial abschließen =(

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

In general you can skip the smaller countries, because they are used to not getting stuff translated. German on the other hand can make sense, it's a market for that kind of games and Germans are also an entitled bunch who despite of years of English in school cannot into speaking or reading it.

From the Google Play page of their last game said:
Alles auf Englisch! Ich konnte nicht mal das Totorial abschließen =(

Oh god, why are my countrymen so retarded :(

Everyone has English in school, ffs! Everyone!
But even in my university, some people just suck horribly at English. One of my profs recently said "Sometimes, we will read English texts in this seminar. If you have a problem with that, the problem is not with the text - it is with you. You should be able to understand the language." :lol:

Perkel

Arcane
Bigger chance of the world will adopt Mandarin.

Not with such fucked up gramma. It takes year or two to speak and understand english it takes hard learning years to speak mandarin and takes whole life to learn their written in symbols language. (10k symbols each with different meanings).
Mandarin is harder than Japanese and Japanese itself is harder because they barrowed from mandarin shit ton of those.

Internet is written language and with such fucked up language as mandarin now way it will take off and replace anything

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Not with such fucked up gramma. It takes year or two to speak and understand english it takes hard learning years to speak mandarin and takes whole life to learn their written in symbols language. (10k symbols each with different meanings).
Mandarin is harder than Japanese and Japanese itself is harder because they barrowed from mandarin shit ton of those.

Internet is written language and with such fucked up language as mandarin now way it will take off and replace anything
fucked up gramma? Their gramma is pretty trivial actually. The characters are indeed a problem, and getting the tones right too. But you wouldn't want the to dumb down their language for the casuals, would you?

ArchAngel

Arcane

I am not saying it will happen soon but if you look at rise of China, it will happen or a big world war that will kill us all.

Weasel
English may not be the language with the most 'first language' speakers, but it ends up becoming the global language because it is the most common second language. Put businessmen from Russia, China, Africa and Germany in a room and they end up speaking English to each other. Go to China and see all the signs advertising English courses to get ahead. It's hard to imagine this changing, especially as the internet connects everyone into a global community. Doesn't mean 'English' won't itself change, however - just look at 'Singlish' for example.

ArchAngel

Arcane
English may not be the language with the most 'first language' speakers, but it ends up becoming the global language because it is the most common second language. Put businessmen from Russia, China, Africa and Germany in a room and they end up speaking English to each other. Go to China and see all the signs advertising English courses to get ahead. It's hard to imagine this changing, especially as the internet connects everyone into a global community. Doesn't mean 'English' won't itself change, however - just look at 'Singlish' for example.
It is only main because of the long long time that Britain and then USA were a dominant countries in the world. Whoever becomes a dominant country next will impose their language on the world.

Weasel
It is only main because of the long long time that Britain and then USA were a dominant countries in the world. Whoever becomes a dominant country next will impose their language on the world.

I disagree because I think they happened to be the the dominant nations when globalisation happened and now there would be a lot of inertia changing this. But I won't derail this thread further over an unrelated issue.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
A Chinese translation might actually be cheaper because lol Chinese wage slaves. It will be hilariously borked, of course, and useless because good luck getting any legal sales in China.

Perkel

Arcane

I am not saying it will happen soon but if you look at rise of China, it will happen or a big world war that will kill us all.

China doesn't matter. IT is India that will set rules in future. They don't have industry yet but they have waaay more people, concentrated on smaller patch of land and for decades they send people to study everywhere.
In summary when they will start to rise they will do it much faster than china ever was because cost of improving things will be that much smaller considering that ton of people live on way smaller patch of land.

Perkel

Arcane
Do translations even matter when you don't release games in physical forms ?

I mean people who buy things from Steam of GOG do know english and most of the time they prefer play games in native language + subs.

Rothgor

Arcane
Developer
black_geyser_logo_light_tr.png

Hello,

Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness now has an early gameplay video available!

My name is Leslie, member of the Black Geyser team. I'm creating the Spell System (and some other things) for Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness.

We're looking forward to your feedback, remarks, suggestions, etc. Thanks!

game-characters.jpg

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

"Okay. Let's talk to some random peasant folks. Peasants almost always have something useful to say...."
- goes to talk to a peasant, a completely irrelevant line is delivered -
"Except for our demo of course."

:lol:

Perkel

Arcane
This looks like the type of shit you'd see in a Kickstarter scam.

nah it looks like there is some proper work behind it considering that prealpha demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom