Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Desert Online

Severian Silk

Is anyone playing this? I've been watching a lets play, and there are a lot of strategic/sandboxy mechanics that look really interesting. The game is also very pretty, even the GUI.

Drakron

Arcane
Its grinding and combat is good, I would say a "problem" is classes are self-reliant so grouping isnt strictly necessary outside grinding that is done for efficiency and self-defense so dont expect much group content out of it right now outside PvP, that might change.

Also even if some corrections were made, there are still many issues, the initial progression to Calpheon doesnt require much in terms of gear but Mediah requires gear and Valencia requires good gear (as in +15 and over) so you end up grinding a lot just to go into those areas, I did it when it was far worst (Mediah made me quit for about a month) but still, even if you can get into Mediah far more easily now (since they even give you a pretty good secondary weapon and a chest piece) Valencia didnt really changed, its still crap.

Its because of the gear requirements that I have a hard time to even recommend this, sure you can but this is going tio require some commitment and dont be fooled by the easy road to lv 40 because that changes real fast on 45-50 and only gets worst.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
I tried it when it came out and it was a grindy weeaboo shitfest, no idea if something changed.

Drakron

Arcane
Its kinda better since as I said, they eased everything pre-Valencia so its not as bad until Valencia.

Also they do have a attendance reward that is pretty decent, they give you black stones and memory fragments and a lootbox of some sort (and the current one is giving a penguin pet) ... the end game is like pretty much every MMO "grinding", it takes some mental stamina for it since I still play it as I stop giving a fuck and go at my own pacing, since I got decent gear I can do most stuff without relying on others.

You just have to hang in there and wait for the rewards to come in since they usually come in, I have about what? 8 Crescent rings from loot boxes since they are the most common drops from one of the higher tier ones that appear occasionally.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Nobody disagrees that the enhancement system is cancer outside contrarians and fuckwits, they are kind trying to fix that but not really? they increased the chances on green items ... note I said "green items" so outside Grunil it had very little effect as Liverto is kinda easily these days and I dont think subweapons are worth going over +15 that you can force anyway and they just thrown what ends up being a +16 subweapon for free anyway.

This is why people just rather buy the damn thing, thats how I got my TRI Kzarka Longsword and this is why I do say Artisan is P2W.

Drakron

Arcane
Artisan Memory is x3 on durability repair, they been for a long while now, even if at the start they were just in the Loyalty tab, they are now sold for Pearls as well.

Imagine you have a Kzarka, frags repair 1 durability, if you have Artisan they will repair 3 durability or if you have a Kzarka they will repair 30 (since same item is 10 so 10 x 3, of course you can more easily get 10 frags that 1 Kzarka but of course it will take 10 Artisan instead of 1).

"Technically" this is not P2W since it just repair durability x3 but it means for high sought items its something you can just get a Kzarka for 95m (even if good luck with that) and sell a +15 for 240m, sure there are costs (frags and stones) but you are limited to selling 5 Pearl Store items per week on the Marketplace so you cannot just sell costumes as with Artisan you can buy as many as you want and use them to sell those items on the Marketplace as there is no penalty for it and that is were the P2W enters because since after selling costumes you can just buy Artisan and use them to minimize silver costs on item enhancement that you sell on the Marketplace.

Edit:

Oh you quited a long time, Skill Awakening was completely changed, now its called Skill Addon and you pick whatever you want from the list.

Mabinji

Novice
This game recently had a huge player base rise due to steam release. Also they plan to release on Xbox by next year. If you give it a try make sure to start out on Olvia servers as the community is somewhat better and you can get from 1-54 in a few hours. Once you move off the Olvia servers your pushing into a pretty toxic community. Its a good game from wasting time, and can be enjoyable when people arnt going out of their way to grief. Still that's a PvP based game for you. A good guild makes a world of difference.

whatevername

Arcane
Can you gank, pk, loot corpses and then read someone's whining about losing hours worth of xp after being pked in this game?

Mabinji

Novice
Can you gank, pk, loot corpses and then read someone's whining about losing hours worth of xp after being pked in this game?
Yes... You can gank, pk, and read whining... You can even Karma bomb. Corpse looting and trading is a no go.

Death XP lose is huge once you hit 56 so you will make people bitter easily with camping.

Drakron

Arcane
your pushing into a pretty toxic community.

You are exaggerating, toxic communities arent as bad as the BDO community.

Here is a example, last update the Karma penalty was doubled and this was likely because thats the value of the penalty in Korea and what happened was the usual, people kicking and screaming because of that since, you know, its not as if you get Karma loss if you kill a PvP flagged player, only by killing unflagged players, no no no ... PvP is all about killing AFK fishers.

I think Korea have a PvP enable system instead of being automatic PvP enabled when hitting 50 and if that comes to EU/NA I am going to just sit there and see the kindergarten try to break the speed of sound.

Mabinji

Novice
your pushing into a pretty toxic community.

You are exaggerating, toxic communities arent as bad as the BDO community.

Here is a example, last update the Karma penalty was doubled and this was likely because thats the value of the penalty in Korea and what happened was the usual, people kicking and screaming because of that since, you know, its not as if you get Karma loss if you kill a PvP flagged player, only by killing unflagged players, no no no ... PvP is all about killing AFK fishers.

I think Korea have a PvP enable system instead of being automatic PvP enabled when hitting 50 and if that comes to EU/NA I am going to just sit there and see the kindergarten try to break the speed of sound.

True true, I get what your saying. I haven't looked into what Korea is running for their PVP system as of late honestly, and despite me feeling the toxicity, I still play the damn game. I must be a glutton for punishment. The RNG in the game hates me.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Is this shit any good?

It's cheap on Steam and the action combat and graphcis of this game peaked a bit of my interest.

So... is the exploration any good? Are there any shitty busy quests? Is the combat good? The character creation? Is there to much grind and the other plagues that affect MMO's like the stupid itemization and toxic community? Does it have dedicated servers or is it one Mega-server?

Stokowski

Arcane
Dedicated servers. If you're new I think there's a super exp boost server, but I'm not sure of the mechanics.

Looks pretty, but has horrendous pop-in. Terribly unoptimised engine.

Really nice world to explore and interesting creature designs and lore. But there is no form of fast travel (except horses) so you'll spend a lot of time travelling, especially at the start.

Quests are terribadly translated, and mostly the usual garbage, but worth doing to unlock various craft/trade/horse-riding features.

Character creation looks pretty but very very very limited. Combine this with rather few armor sets, and there's a lot of visual duplication.

Combat is busy, and largely satisfying as you take out bunches of trash mobs with a single blow/cast/spin/rain-of-arrows.

This makes the grind mostly fun, in my opinion, but this is tempered by death penalties to experience, and the whole open world PvP system. <- imho, you might love that stuff.

Hi end gameplay sucks balls (imho) because of the boss drops and equipment enhancing systems are locked behind a viciously unfavourable randomness.

I stopped playing a long time ago though, so there's certainly others around who can bring you up-to-date.

Drakron

Arcane
Dedicated servers. If you're new I think there's a super exp boost server, but I'm not sure of the mechanics.

The Olivia channels just have a permanent 200% XP boost applied, they can turn those on and off, during the weekend we also are get that boost.

Looks pretty, but has horrendous pop-in. Terribly unoptimised engine.

True, Hiedel is horrible in FPS since so many people are either AFK fishing or AFK training that really affects the performance, Field Bosses is even worst

Really nice world to explore and interesting creature designs and lore. But there is no form of fast travel (except horses) so you'll spend a lot of time travelling, especially at the start.

Well ... there is actually but the Transport is for moving characters since it takes a hour, there are a few other ways that were added with Valenica but horses is it more or less, I read they intend to add a airship.

Quests are terribadly translated, and mostly the usual garbage, but worth doing to unlock various craft/trade/horse-riding features.

They are kinda better, I recall when fishing quests had the wrong fish in the description.
Quests are worth it more for Contribution Points and Knowledge (and Knowledge is Energy), some of the Processing quests are pretty much mandatory since without them, you cannot make certain processing, those are the only ones you actually need ... rest pretty much only cares about XP, in fact you better off just mass cooking Beer to raise your Cooking level that actually do the cooking quests.

Character creation looks pretty but very very very limited. Combine this with rather few armor sets, and there's a lot of visual duplication.

Its like they sell costumes in the Pearl ship ...

Combat is busy, and largely satisfying as you take out bunches of trash mobs with a single blow/cast/spin/rain-of-arrows.

There is also satisfaction when dealing with bosses, such as when I was much less geared and taken on Red Nose Scroll Boss with what was +12 gear. Its not dull and you dont really feel you are lacking some counter. Even if gear is still king.

This makes the grind mostly fun, in my opinion, but this is tempered by death penalties to experience, and the whole open world PvP system. <- imho, you might love that stuff.

Open PvP is really what fucks the game in terms of the community because its a excuse for people to act like dickheads and being able to act as dickheads.

Being PK no longer gives you a XP loss, said XP loss is no big deal until lv52-3 due to the buffing of XP to mobs, its starts to be bad at lv56 because of ... well Valencia mobs being 56+ and that place being shit, their XP being shit and their stupid AP/DP values.

Hi end gameplay sucks balls (imho) because of the boss drops and equipment enhancing systems are locked behind a viciously unfavourable randomness.

Yes but you can get Grunil relatively easy and Livertos are no longer as rare as they were, you dont really need Boss Gear.

I stopped playing a long time ago though, so there's certainly others around who can bring you up-to-date.

There been many changes since you left, one being the XP loss from being PK, thats gone ... another you might not know is right now only gathering takes energy as before almost everything taken energy.

Its still a grind, the enchantment system sucks and the community is beyond toxic ...

whatevername

Arcane
What's the best way to spend your karma? I haven't found any afk fishermen outside of safe zones yet, but I pked 5 afk dudes carrying tradepacks to level their weight capacity. Assuming they went to sleep, they lost potentially up to 8 hours worth of training each lol.

I've read rumors that a lot of armor was in the game, but they moved it into cash shop early on.

whatevername

Arcane
This game is good. I destroyed someone's fishing boat without CONCORD intervention, pked 1 afk fisherman. Then I got low on karma, so I started throwing fishermen into the sea. Then I met an afk weight trainer on a road and pushed him off a cliff, but it wasn't too high so he didn't die. You should at least try the f2p version.

whatevername

Arcane
I grab afk fishermen from the Velia safe zone and dump them in the sea or in the middle of the ocean or pk them. One dude was wearing a fish suit, so for that I took him to the pirate island and pushed him to the shore, then agrroed pirate mobs which killed him, didn't lose any karma that way LOL.

Norfleet

These stories sound better than actually playing the game. Drakron never did hilarious shit like this. Tell me more!

deama

Prophet
I haven't played the game since August, is it any better now? I mostly had a problem with the late game of it wherein I hated the RNG and I didn't like how all the classes were so self-sufficient.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played the game since August, is it any better now? I mostly had a problem with the late game of it wherein I hated the RNG and I didn't like how all the classes were so self-sufficient.

It's meh. I played it a month ago for a few hours and dropped it. Haven't played it since.

Drakron

Arcane

Nothing really changed, we got Kama that was ... well Kama kinda pushes for party just because of Temple that is kinda for lv60 party but as usual PA forgot their cancerous RNG enhancing system and Kama mobs were too tough, you know because they did the same with Mediah and Valencia so why the fuck would they learn and not make Kamasylvia mobs dealing too much damage and too tanky followed by the usual nerfing to then. We also just got Mystic if you wanted a worst version of Striker, Korea got Len or Ren that is a wuxia class amd other things like the Camp system and their "2nd awakening" (that is pretty much giving main weapon more skill ranks so they can match Awakening skills) but who knows when we will see then considering how long did it take for Mystic to show up.

deama

Prophet

Nothing really changed, we got Kama that was ... well Kama kinda pushes for party just because of Temple that is kinda for lv60 party but as usual PA forgot their cancerous RNG enhancing system and Kama mobs were too tough, you know because they did the same with Mediah and Valencia so why the fuck would they learn and not make Kamasylvia mobs dealing too much damage and too tanky followed by the usual nerfing to then. We also just got Mystic if you wanted a worst version of Striker, Korea got Len or Ren that is a wuxia class amd other things like the Camp system and their "2nd awakening" (that is pretty much giving main weapon more skill ranks so they can match Awakening skills) but who knows when we will see then considering how long did it take for Mystic to show up.
Any idea if the devs are planning to make big changes or add some interesting things? Like changing the RNG system completely or something big like that.

Drakron

Arcane
Well they apparently want to touch on the life skills since in this year Fiesta they talked how they are going to change training and gathering ... and I didnt like hearing they want make gathering a minigame (training right now is pray to RNGJesus), and the next area is supposed to have dragons but little is know, reminds me when they talked about Mangoria and what we got in the end was Calpheon deforestation for a ship that cannot even effectively trade. Also buy our Shark Suit.

The next "big thing" for our version is really the "2nd Awakening" but that is pretty much in case you liked to say having you Kumo or Ninja to use their main weapon after lv58 since its "extra tiers" for main weapon skills to keep then competitive with Awakening Skills, I think Korea just got all of their for all their classes (expect the newest one that come out last week) and if Kama is a indication its going to take about 6 months after the next region comes out in Korea before we will see it, maybe longer.

I would not bet on their changing their RNG system, I dont think I seen anyone liking the damn thing but they rather just throw shards and stones at us and the occasional box with accessories that fixing the damn thing, they even started throwing Advice of Valks in hope people stop complaining but here we are, bitching. They might ... they arent autistic retards like Cryptic are, at one point they might just change the system but I guess if that happens is with the Xbox reaction to the game, not anytime soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom