Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Desert - Korean MMO - Tent cities, conservating clothing, Oh my

Martius

Liturgist
Tank you very much! Any idea if these codes may expire after some time? Client size is probably big so I assume it will take to while to download on my crappy connection.

Renfri

Cipher
Tank you very much! Any idea if these codes may expire after some time? Client size is probably big so I assume it will take to while to download on my crappy connection.
No mentions about expiration date, if not used.

Thane Solus

Arcane
played a few days, it has some interesting points, but overall it fails quite quick. Its a themepark with some interesting, at first, convoluted crafting and worker system, decent housing system and nice action combat. The problem is the overall world its a themepark so beside maybe goin with your boat fishing, participating in some sieges, playing with your workers, there is not much to play for and no incentive to do it beside exploring. There is no real open pvp with rewards, no player economy, there is no real good rewards for holding a castle, there is no sea combat, there is no high end purpose, just mindless grind. Yes, all mmos are grind, but lets say in sandboxish pvp games like Albion Online,Darkfall i grinded to get better, to create better stuff for me in the guild, since it was a full loot pvp, so there always was a reason to go grind some materials, mobs, since some you were loosing them in combat. Maybe i m so sick of themepark mmos... that even a decent one cant make play more than a few days...

the crafting and worker system seems interesting at first but then you see its a complete garbage quite quick. Every feature related to crafting its made to be a grindy and complicated as possible just for reasons. For example: Lets try to build a mining axe, basic mining axe right? 1 log, 4 copper ingots . You could send you workers to farm copper nodes and get 1 log yourself. But wait! To produce 4 copper ingots you need around around 150-200 copper ore based on your skills. FOR A FUCKING Mining Axe! So much WOW, so complex.. Of course you can buy the axe from vendors for a low price, but just to give you an example. THere is the problem of armors and costumes and their looks and role, overall korean garbage as usual.

Overall, if you like themepark mmos, this one is an improvement, but its as useless as the others since it has no persistent economy, conflicts/pvp, or a dynamic world. I fucking hate themepark mmos, even tho this one does many things well, excluding crafting and the weird itemization...

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The biggest issue for me is the total lack of player-interactivity. Even just inviting someone who is grinding the same spot as you is ridiculous since you have to actually walk up to them, unlock the cursor and then press F1 to send an invite. Nevermind that the player you try to invite probably already moved 10 yards to kill the next mob and is therefore out of range... Since a lot of the server notifications are enabled by default you oftentimes miss whispers or general/world chat so it is actually hard to notify the player in question that you want to party up.
Castles/Sieges are something I am personally looking forward to, PvP is only enabled at 45+ (which is fine since at that point you can easily kill people in their 50s as long as you have a decent amount of accuracy) and GvG/Castlesieges will be coming in the next couple of weeks.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
So its not really a sandbox mmo? You can't build stone wall swastikas?

Lhynn

Arcane
Not complete sandbox, but it has an interesting economy and trading system, and its fun to explore.
The world is very well made, its a shame a lot of areas become useless because of them being low level. Tho its good that thanks to the economy and nodes and all that shit you still have a reason to go back.

shamelessly begging for a guest pass.
i need to try firsthand how much grind is involved and how involving is character development. i had 1600+ hours on guild wars because it had no grind and i had tens on tens of skills to tinker with. and because its combat was definitely not banal or passive. these three elements are extremely important to me.

oh, i almost forgot maybe the most important element of them all: how much solo-friendly it is.

Lhynn

Arcane
grindy, solo friendly and the character system is you basically unlocking skills and improvements for your class. All skills see circumstancial use and there are combos that eliminate animation frames. So its more about your skill as a player than your ability to tinker (which is almost non existant).

Combat is fine. And the game is about making your way in the world. There are plenty of sandboxy mechanics, and they all tie to the economy of the game.

Thane Solus

Arcane
PROs:

- Great graphics and some interesting site scenes
- Worker systems(helps you gather materials and craft) while you do something else
- Action combat, promotes players skill, very weird progression on skills (lack of proper UI)
- cool housing system, semi instanced(as in you can open the windows on some houses and see outside, thats pretty nice)
- cool mount system and trading between nodes, locations and crafting wagons to trade more
- nodes sytems to unlock(locations), trade between them, put workers to gather at them, earn points to invest in more
- small boats to fish from or hunt whales...
- cities and towns are full of live, NPC people running doing stuff, talking, its quite nice

+/-:

- no dungeons or maybe just a few(i dont know), but some interesting locations are to be found with specific mobs
- to get more quests you have to discover npcs, kill mobs to get knowledge, so you can play a minigame(dialogue) with certain npcs to unlock more quests. Cool at first, but due to the dialogue, translations and the sheer retardness of everything that is said by the NPCs, it can be annoying. Not a bad system.
- afk fishing for manboons, but at least it has a small minigame, not bad.
- each item has a min/max price for auction house, i find this nice in some cases. So no more destroying or exploiting the market, at least not in a huge amount like in other games. Not bad
- fast change of alts/characters system, promotes the use of alts
- no full loot pvp in warzones/special areas whatever...so no real economy...or scope, but at least some items cant be repaired

Cons:

- horrible first 10-12 levels, only kill quests, until you get to Velicia i believe.
- horrible story and dialogues. I played Lineage 2, i played Aion, this fucking game makes no sense, every dialogue, every scene, its so bad translated and also designed, that you want to go kill yourself...Beside animu manboons.
- no proper info on UI, or help, from stats on items to tons of other things, until you get them in your inventory
- horrible crafting system, too many branching paths just to keep you grind until you bleed, makes no sense. 100-200 cooper ore for a fucking mining pick (it can be bought from vendors for cheap)
- armors are limited and they all looks the same mostly(similar to Lineage II, tier armors and so) to make you buy costumes from the micro shop with real money cause FUCK YOU
- no real player dynamic economy, just basic stuff like in any themepark
- barely any proper group tools
- very limited inventory, increases with quests, and even then, buy from the shop upgrades, or get high level, or make tons of alts FUCK YOU
- static world, but we do have day and night which is nice.
- no real rewards for holding castle besides Tax... Lineage II had tons of features probably the best castle siege system along with DAOC. 12-14 years ago, FFS
- no sea battles

Overall:

The first 10 levels you will want to kill yourself, besides admiring some nice graphics and decent combat. After that you get to the good stuff, but since nothing matters in the world due to a static design it made me quit the game after a few days. It doesn't feel an accomplishment when you achieve something. It cant be lost, doesn't influence the world, the crafting is shit, the itemization and graphics of the items are limited to get extra bucks from the store. As usual with the korean/asian companies, half of the game is quite interesting, the rest is trash...

For your average themepark player this can be the best done so far, for those that actually played good mmorpgs, its fine for a few days, weeks, but too static to matter. It will be quite empty in a few months, when all these youtube hacks and journos, realize that is nothing to do in it that matters in the long run. Lots of cool features, but half of the core design is broken or mediocre...

There you go, hope it helps some of you...

Last edited:

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I can agree with you on the story aspect. Everything is all vague with the shadow talking to you. But when I got to the second city and meet Jordine everything feel apart into total incomprehensible nonsense. While the shadow makes a sort of sense. You made a deal with it. It wants to grow stronger and for you to grow with it. But I can't even begin to understand the sub plot after Valia at all.

Drakron

Arcane
But I can't even begin to understand the sub plot after Valia at all.

Its kinda the same I guess, you just see what happens when others come in contact with the Black Spirits.

I dont think you gone too far with Jordine since another faction comes into play, the Shadow Knights and Belmorn that is also another plot about Calpheon and Serendia.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Pretty as a picture but just as empty as TERA unless you're really into the crafting side, the point of which I did not grasp during my 7-day guest pass. And I can't really play Barbie doll with it either because your costume hardly changes unless you shell out real money at the cash shop - again just like TERA.

Drakron

Arcane
... because your costume hardly changes unless you shell out real money at the cash shop - again just like TERA.

Well kinda, I mean your selection of costumes on the store is what? 2 or 4 if we include the ghillie suit and the fish suit that just come out.

The real issue for me with the costumes to be is they provide bonus that will be on top of the armor own bonus.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Which kills part of the fun of finding new gear: seeing how the appearance of your character changes. Sure, it often led to hilariously mismatched clown looks but at least in Ye Olde MMOs you had a sense of progression in two fronts: stats and looks. In TERA and Black Desert, and to a lesser extent pretty much every modern MMO, especially if it's F2P from start, you don't get that which is a shame.

Drakron

Arcane
Thats kinda true but end gear tends to be all people wear.

Also there are oddities on BDO, the Agerian is common used until later levels because set3 is cast speed and attack speed for Valkyries its pretty good but you can find it around lv 20's so you pretty much see a LOT of Valkyries wearing it, the way BDO handles gear is rather usual since there are no level restrictions and obsoleteness doesnt happen entirely.

Last edited:

Renfri

Cipher
Anyone else having issues with shadows/grass flickering like crazy when running around?

Stokowski

Arcane
Yeah, every environmental object is being redrawn at differing levels of detail as your distance to them changes. Fucking hideous. A more powerful graphics card helps smooth it out, but otherwise, you just have to get used to it.

And to think of all the claims about how amazing the graphics were in this game. Did these previewers never actually move their characters?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom