Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Biowartanic Continues Its Epic Descent

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He has oldfag tenure.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
What is the Volourn thing that posts here anyway?
A reminder of days gone by where the Saint ruled instead of the Underlord and the ancient antediluvians posted their bitterness. Sadly the Volly was once a most reasonable person before degenerating into this thing.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Today, the final nail was pounded into the coffin that holds Troika Games, LLC. Today could be considered the date of its closing, or you can pick from one of several dates: February 28, 2005 - Troika Games closes its doors September 30, 2005 - Troika Games files with the state for dissolution December 24, 2005 - Troika Games files its final tax return (the last step in dissolution) Pick your favorite date, kids. Thanks for your support, and good night. Tim.
just dont join Obsidian Obsidian is like a cRPG cancer or something, absorbs all the good thats left in the genre and turns it into shit. I'm sure they'd have you doing 'lite designing' in no time.
:smug:

Oesophagus

Arcane
Two rich fuckers who are co-responsible for gangraping the cRPG genre to death, burrying it in a swamp, then disguising shooters as cRPGs until no one remembers the difference are retiring to live a cosy life of yachting, while lauging away at all the evil they've done. I hope they get a mole on their back that wasn't there before but no one notices until it's too late

Psquit

Arcane
ghost_ship1.jpg

A ship that was never meant to sail...

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
As far as Bioware is concerned, this time I won't mind watching Moloch have his feast.

Now we just sit back and wait for Dragon Age 3: The Iceberg.

Data4

Arcane
Did predicting a studio's eminent doom happen when Bethesda was recieving the brunt of Codex ire?

The difference here is that Bethesda is pretty good at making their specific product. Granted, it's a product the Codex in general doesn't like, but it's one that their fans generally eat up like manna from heaven. Bioware's problem is they can't even make what their fans want decently.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
People have been 'predicting' BIOI's death for 15 years yet instead of dying BIO keeps growing. They've been witH EA for five years yet stille xist. if DA series was so toxic why they making DA3? dOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

The cos are too busy coutning their money to make games anymore. R00fles!

Psquit

Arcane
meh, after swotor huge fail... moral must be pretty low.

pd: they should fire hamburger helper.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Out of everything to ever come out of Bioware, this news probably came the closest to actually emotionally engaging me.

DraQ

Arcane
The difference here is that Bethesda is pretty good at making their specific product. Granted, it's a product the Codex in general doesn't like, but it's one that their fans generally eat up like manna from heaven. Bioware's problem is they can't even make what their fans want decently.
Also:

1) At least bethesda is still making games.

2) After Skyrim it seems that they are again at least trying.

Two rich fuckers who are co-responsible for gangraping the cRPG genre to death, burrying it in a swamp, then disguising shooters as cRPGs until no one remembers the difference are retiring to live a cosy life of yachting, while lauging away at all the evil they've done. I hope they get a mole on their back that wasn't there before but no one notices until it's too late
... for it to be popped.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's true, but I would also add that the market for the type of games that Bioware like making has been exhausted. There's simply not enough of them out there, even when the games are good.

A reminder of days gone by where the Saint ruled instead of the Underlord and the ancient antediluvians posted their bitterness. Sadly the Volly was once a most reasonable person before degenerating into this thing.

Maybe he became a vessel for the essence of the codex itself. Rooflemancy?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

That's true, but I would also add that the market for the type of games that Bioware like making has been exhausted. There's simply not enough of them out there, even when the games are good.

:what:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Maybe he became a vessel for the essence of the codex itself. Rooflemancy?
Nah, that's Andhaira. Volourn simply IS.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

If you mean that games like this can't be sold in 10m+ copies like CoD or Skyrim than yes... but as Obsidian is just proving with his Infinity Kickstarters you can make such Biogame with 1/10 of FPS shooter budget. :troll:

DraQ

Arcane
Depends on which market we're talking about. Storyfag experiences? Ok, CDPR has probably made quite a dent here, and Obsidian will likely too.

Dating sims for deviants and landwhales? We probably don't even know what we don't know here (and the truth would set drive us free insane). :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Depends on which market we're talking about. Storyfag experiences? Ok, CDPR has probably made quite a dent here, and Obsidian will likely too.

Dating sims for deviants and landwhales? We probably don't even know what we don't know here (and the truth would set drive us free insane). :M

I'm skeptical.

For years, many Codexers spoke about how Bioware's "success story" was that they'd expanded from the small grognard market to a mass market of bored housewives and former weeaboos.

I was one of the first people here to realize that no, Bioware's new "mass market" was not massive at all. They'd just gone from being niche, to locking themselves in with an increasingly picky, never-quite-big-enough, medium-sized customer base. And in today's market, "niche" is good. Niche sustains countless indie developers. Medium-sized customer bases? They're a deathtrap.

Now, if you're a privately owned company like Obsidian, you can be creative and maybe escape the deathtrap. Bioware can't seem to do that.

Psquit

Arcane
I'm skeptical.

For years, many Codexers spoke about how Bioware's "success story" was that they'd expanded from the small grognard market to a mass market of bored housewives and former weeaboos.

I was one of the first people here to realize that no, Bioware's new "mass market" was not massive at all. They'd just gone from being niche, to locking themselves in with an increasingly picky, never-quite-big-enough, medium-sized customer base. And in today's market, "niche" is good. Niche sustains countless indie developers. Medium-sized customer bases? They're a deathtrap.

Now, if you're a privately owned company like Obsidian, you can be creative and maybe escape the deathtrap. Bioware can't seem to do that.

So rip bioware? :hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom