Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
I started to playing it. Had a really low expectations. But enjoying it. Kinda.
It's not an RPG of course, it's more like Telltale quest with shooter and exploring parts. And it's better than many Telltale games at least.
It's certainly better than DA:I. They are close to each other but at least ME:A had much better combat.
As interactive movie it's worse than ME trilogy, cause they still didn't give me any real choices. At least bad Shep reactions was fun in originals. Music and cut-scenes are worse too. But exploring is better.
"Task" crap mmo-like quests are better than in DA:I too. It's usually tied with exploring and I just do it on my way to another quests.
Exploring is nice, I like it. Much better than in DA:I. Loot is random, but you can mine resources for crafting and learn something about region. Crafting is kinda boring though.
I never expected any quality writing from Bioware. It's just a b-movie type of shit, nothing special. New races are boring.
I'm still in first half of the game. Overall I'm just enjoying explorations ans space opera theme. For me it's far better done than Bethesda's shit at least. It's Witcher 3 wannabe, but worse of course. Both not real RPG, just fun exploring / cut-scene watching games.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
why is there no proper RPG with space combat? It would be so cool to buy a ship or shuttle and equip it with better weapons and shields and duke it out with other vessels, while also having proper ground combat and shit. Kinda like a better done Planet's Edge.

Because it's too much work designing seperate systems for space and ground combat.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It is our fault for having high standarts
DKNGzvQX0AEAOhT.jpg:large

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
why is there no proper RPG with space combat? It would be so cool to buy a ship or shuttle and equip it with better weapons and shields and duke it out with other vessels, while also having proper ground combat and shit. Kinda like a better done Planet's Edge.

Because it's too much work designing seperate systems for space and ground combat.

Maybe if Bioware spends the time they usually spend on tranny romance on something more interesting, it would be possible.

RepHope

Savant
Battlestar Galactica seasons 1 and 2 were great. I enjoyed the entire series but it became obvious towards the end that the writers hadn't fully planned out the story arc and were just pulling shit from their ass.

Voyager was a decent show too, but hey, it's Star Trek, Star Trek rarely goes full grimdark.

Still, I'd take a proper Star Trek RPG over Mass Effect any day. And while we're talking scifi RPGs... why is there no proper RPG with space combat? It would be so cool to buy a ship or shuttle and equip it with better weapons and shields and duke it out with other vessels, while also having proper ground combat and shit. Kinda like a better done Planet's Edge.
Probably because the only three who would have the money to make one are Bioware, who are complete fuckups, Bethesda, who might be doing something like that with Starfield, and CDPR who are making Cyberpunk.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battlestar Galactica seasons 1 and 2 were great. I enjoyed the entire series but it became obvious towards the end that the writers hadn't fully planned out the story arc and were just pulling shit from their ass.

Voyager was a decent show too, but hey, it's Star Trek, Star Trek rarely goes full grimdark.

Still, I'd take a proper Star Trek RPG over Mass Effect any day. And while we're talking scifi RPGs... why is there no proper RPG with space combat? It would be so cool to buy a ship or shuttle and equip it with better weapons and shields and duke it out with other vessels, while also having proper ground combat and shit. Kinda like a better done Planet's Edge.
Probably because the only three who would have the money to make one are Bioware, who are complete fuckups, Bethesda, who might be doing something like that with Starfield, and CDPR who are making Cyberpunk.

You could make an RPG like that even with a mid-size budget. Of course your game won't have AAA graphics then but nobody asks for that anyway.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I've never tried it, but all vatniks here will tell you to try star wolves or something like this.
I am no vatnik and will second that.Star wolfs is a good game.

- The explanations for leaving the Milky Way are so contrived. The asari girl even told me that "Oh, the Milky Way was so been there, done that." Bitch, please. We barely explored it in the trilogy. :argh:

I'm sick of this kind of overblown scope in Sci-Fi where so many involve an entire galaxy instead of restraining things to a handful of systems, or even with just one or two.

Star Trek Voyager: "A wormhole transported us to the other end of the galaxy... getting back home will take us... holy shit several decades! We will be old men when we reach our homes again!"

Ass Effect: "The Milky Way is soooo boring let's explore another galaxy. This one is soooo small, haha!"

tbh it's actually kind of realistic that the galaxy would be explored pretty quickly, if we're assuming exponential population growth like in most frontier civilizations. If you explore 1% one generation then a few later you'll have 4%, then a few more and you'll have 16%, and so on and so forth. It's one of the few plausible reasons for sci-fi scenarios of "we've gotten so big we're basically ungovernable and half the galaxy we rule we know almost nothing about", ala the Foundation series (galaxy is majority colonized by 850 years in). It's actually a major failure of universes like Star Wars where the galaxy has been in stasis for 50,000 years or something and yet half the galaxy is apparently unmapped and unexplored (especially egregious since you'd expect different races to aggressively colonize in order to gain political power, similar to the pro and anti-slavery factions pre-US civil war).

Not that the ME:A writers thought of this I'm sure, they just figured that the ME universe was tainted by ME3 and had to get somewhere else. Well look what you did now.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
- The explanations for leaving the Milky Way are so contrived. The asari girl even told me that "Oh, the Milky Way was so been there, done that." Bitch, please. We barely explored it in the trilogy. :argh:

I'm sick of this kind of overblown scope in Sci-Fi where so many involve an entire galaxy instead of restraining things to a handful of systems, or even with just one or two.

Star Trek Voyager: "A wormhole transported us to the other end of the galaxy... getting back home will take us... holy shit several decades! We will be old men when we reach our homes again!"

Ass Effect: "The Milky Way is soooo boring let's explore another galaxy. This one is soooo small, haha!"

tbh it's actually kind of realistic that the galaxy would be explored pretty quickly, if we're assuming exponential population growth like in most frontier civilizations. If you explore 1% one generation then a few later you'll have 4%, then a few more and you'll have 16%, and so on and so forth. It's one of the few plausible reasons for sci-fi scenarios of "we've gotten so big we're basically ungovernable and half the galaxy we rule we know almost nothing about", ala the Foundation series (galaxy is majority colonized by 850 years in). It's actually a major failure of universes like Star Wars where the galaxy has been in stasis for 50,000 years or something and yet half the galaxy is apparently unmapped and unexplored (especially egregious since you'd expect different races to aggressively colonize in order to gain political power, similar to the pro and anti-slavery factions pre-US civil war).

Not that the ME:A writers thought of this I'm sure, they just figured that the ME universe was tainted by ME3 and had to get somewhere else. Well look what you did now.

All of that hinges on how the primary method of exploration works. The Star Wars hyperspace is not a linear reflection of realspace, for example. Finding and mapping a stable hyperspace route is an ardous endeavor, disseminating data about it to interested parties (or keeping it secret) is another thing altogether. And then, there is always the risk that a hyper-route will collapse. As far as I recall, the Mass Effect setting features similar issues, with unassisted FTL being painfuly slow and limited by fuel supplies, while long-range jumps being only possible through the use of existing mass relays... which again need to be discovered and made operational.

All of that hinges on how the primary method of exploration works. The Star Wars hyperspace is not a linear reflection of realspace, for example. Finding and mapping a stable hyperspace route is an ardous endeavor, disseminating data about it to interested parties (or keeping it secret) is another thing altogether. And then, there is always the risk that a hyper-route will collapse. As far as I recall, the Mass Effect setting features similar issues, with unassisted FTL being painfuly slow and limited by fuel supplies, while long-range jumps being only possible through the use of existing mass relays... which again need to be discovered and made operational.

Is that hyperspace description for SW one of the "barely canon before and now not canon" things? Pretty sure actual SW only cares about being far away from a gravitational mass. Hyperlanes aren't actual things, it's just a consequence of the fact that the straight line path between two habitable areas is a line and the other 99.999% of space between stars you have no reason to be in.

Mass Effect's map has relays discovered all over the galaxy:

Mass Effect wiki says their normal FTL speed is on the order of thousands of times the speed of light, so something like 5-20 light years a day. Slow if you want to go straight across the galaxy but if you are spreading out from each relay you'd be able to reach anything very quickly. Most relays look to be on the order of 1k-5k light years distant from another, so you should be able to reach pretty much any place in the galaxy in roughly under a year of travel. Magellan would laugh at such an easy undertaking.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Is that hyperspace description for SW one of the "barely canon before and now not canon" things?

You missed the latest news. Hyperlanes surely and swiftly crept back into the new cannon. As all things do.

I've been actively avoiding all news since Disney took over.

Going by wookiepedia wiki:

Those routes were regarded as safe, allowing starships to travel without colliding with a body in space.

This isn't really a "hyperlane", in the sense that you can only enter and leave hyperspace at certain points. In space everything is so far apart that all routes are basically safe from randomly running into something. This is just bad science, only morons think that space is somehow densely populated with things to run in to. The same kind of thing where people think an asteroid belt requires some kind of expert piloting to navigate when in reality you can go through a million times blind and never hit a thing.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Does it have some kind of decent narrative and ending or is it purely grindathon?
Has a very good narrative, hidden in all the gameplay, which is great.

The story is pretty good too, and so is the worldbuilding, but we are barely seeing the start of it. Character creation for example, actually unlocks like 30 hours into the game, and it ties to the story. the titular warframes are a very big part of it, but we barely know anything about them other than them being war machines. You are a Tenno, but no one knows what a Tenno is.

Theres a big and powerful civilization, but no one knows what happened to it. Theres a war currently being waged between 2 factions, and you do get to pick a side.

There are a lot of cool pieces but very little to tie them together, but as you progress through the story you get to see those threads and how it all fits together.

Best part is that every new thread in the narrative ties into the gameplay, almost every single element touches upon it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom