Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
The uBSN forums are good for a laugh right now, if you're really bored and feeling down to the challenge.

What a shitshow. At least they finally nutted up and came clean.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Games released by EA feel soulless. EA absorbs a developer and then releases mimicked products that should be enjoyable but are very boring and drab. I honestly feel that it is a skill unto itself. So... congrats EA?

When will we see the shutdown of Bioware? Next year?
After anthem flops and Dragon age dies!

J1M

Arcane
EA confirmed that BioWare Montreal merged into EA Motive: https://techraptor.net/content/bioware-montreal-merge-ea-motive

BioWare Montreal, the development team behind Mass Effect: Andromeda, is merging with Motive Studios.

The news was circulating for the past few days that Electronic Arts, the parent company of both studios, would go forward with a merger. Previous reports noted a statement made by CFO Blake Jorgensen during the quarterly EA conference call (transcript here), where he stated that the BioWare Montreal team and the EA Motive team are now in the same studio together.

“We’re building out a new studio in Montreal, as we’ve told everyone. And we’ve hired over 100 people into that studio that are brand-new to EA. This is to build the new IP around Jade Raymond’s team that she’s been building. I was in that studio last month. And it’s a wonderful new addition to our team. And we brought our BioWare Montreal team into that same facility. So they now all sit in one new studio together,” stated Jorgensen.​

An official EA spokesperson informed us that the statement is indeed true, and the two teams will be merging.

“The teams in EA Worldwide Studios are packed with talent, and more than ever, we’re driving collaboration between studios on key projects. With multiple major projects in development in Montreal, we are merging BioWare Montreal with Motive Studios. This is an ongoing process, but there are many exciting roles and opportunities for everyone on the team.”

BioWare continues its work on new titles – including the highly-anticipated game, Anthem. What’s coming next for BioWare is very exciting, and we’re thrilled to have Casey Hudson returning to lead the studios in Edmonton and Austin.”​

The news of the merger was previously hinted at from several other stories breaking over the past few months, including rumors that BioWare Montreal was “scaled down” after the release of Mass Effect: Andromeda. The game, which according to CEO Andrew Wilson “was a significant contributor” to third quarter sales, received mixed reviews from critics, with most of them heavily criticizing the game’s poor facial animations and graphical glitches. The rumors also noted that possible single-player DLC would be shelved for the game, which would instead only focus on multiplayer content at this time.

The official word of the merger between BioWare Montreal and Motive Studios may be another piece of evidence giving credence to that rumor, although BioWare has continued to patch Mass Effect: Andromeda since the release of the game. The most recent patch, which focuses on mostly multiplayer tweaks, was released today.

BioWare as a division of EA still has two major studios working on projects. BioWare Austin is headlining the ongoing support for the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO, while BioWare Edmonton recently revealed their newest I.P, Anthem at E3 this year. Edmonton is also working on another title, which many speculate to be the next installment of the Dragon Age franchise. Recently, Casey Hudson returned to lead the studio as Aaron Flynn left.

Motive Studios is currently headed by Jade Raymond, who has been working on an unannounced Star Wars project for the past two years. The game, which has no official title, is described as a “Star Wars in the style of Uncharted.” Motive also has been working with DICE and Criterion on the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront II.
Never heard of EA motive before. Looks like it is run by Jade Raymond and Kim Swift is the design director. :lol:

I guess EA knows that loading that team up with Andromeda SJWs isn't going to ruin anything good. :smug:

Vorark

Erudite
Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player or in-game story content.

Of course, the game is unsalvageable. Point being:

we will continue to tell stories in the Andromeda Galaxy through our upcoming comics and novels, including the fate of the quarian ark.

Missing the opportunity to release DLC and make a couple more $ from people? Yeesh. Even Dragon Age 2 had content released.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it's pretty weird they aren't going to milk it more. That tells me it didn't sell well at all. That should've been obvious the moment they decided to obliterate the department that developed it and put the ME IP on ice. The beginning of the end for Bioware? I guess it depends on how well the next DA and "Anthem" are going to do. I expect them to be as bland as humanly possible for an attempt to cater to as many people as possible. They have to appease their overlords somehow. I also predict this will backfire and it will be the end of Bioware. Even the mainstream can sometimes tell when they are fed shit from the trough.

Vorark

Erudite
Could EA (and in turn, "Bioware") be going into the direction of multiplayer games? Maybe it brings more revenue than releasing SP DLC? Not to mention multi is the ultimate DRM.

- ME3 MP was unexpected and turned out to be very sucessful;
- Inquisition had some sort of multi;
- MEA won't have single-player content but will supposedly keep active on the multiplayer front;
- Anthem will be some sort of MP focused title.

Sure is a departure from the ME2 days in which you had multiple DLC, usually relevant to the story.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Could EA (and in turn, "Bioware") be going into the direction of multiplayer games? Maybe it brings more revenue than releasing SP DLC? Not to mention multi is the ultimate DRM.

Additionally, it allows them to transition to a freemium model as players will have a strong incentive to buy stuff to gain an edge over others.

DemonKing

Arcane

I'm surprised they've lasted this long, but maybe someone who signed off on the sale all those years ago can't bring themselves to shutter it because it would look like they'd screwed up.

The value of the Bioware name has certainly dropped a lot since EA acquired the studio though - I can't see much value in retaining it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I'm surprised they've lasted this long, but maybe someone who signed off on the sale all those years ago can't bring themselves to shutter it because it would look like they'd screwed up.

The value of the Bioware name has certainly dropped a lot since EA acquired the studio though - I can't see much value in retaining it.
Only value that Bioware have now is in memes.I do hope that cumbucket burns,and all the retarded sjws in it.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Not surprised by them abandoning the game, surprised by Codex joining the circlejerk.

This game had deeper gameplay than anything BioWare ever produced (maybe except Neverwinter Nights). It's expected for the public to ignore that and whine about interactive movie being not as fun as they remember, but I'd expect actual gamers to see that the infamously primitive series tries to do something interesting with gameplay. Sad!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not surprised by them abandoning the game, surprised by Codex joining the circlejerk.

This game had deeper gameplay than anything BioWare ever produced (maybe except Neverwinter Nights). It's expected for the public to ignore that and whine about interactive movie being not as fun as they remember, but I'd expect actual gamers to see that the infamously primitive series tries to do something interesting with gameplay. Sad!
You are wasting oxygen,please stop!

Iznaliu

Arbiter

Not outside the Codex; If EA did what they did with Maxis, they would get a lot of attention.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/585...+sees+no+reason+not+to+return+to+Mass+Effect/

Patrick Söderlund "sees no reason" not to return to Mass Effect
We talked to EA's executive vice president at Gamescom.

EA's Executive Vice President Patrick Söderlund was in attendance at Gamescom in Cologne recently, and we couldn't resist talking to the man about all things EA, including Mass Effect: Andromeda. When we asked about his views on the franchise right now, and where it needs to go in the future, he had some very interesting things to say on the matter.

"Well I think, my personal opinion is, I think that the game... I usually don't do this, but this is one of those places where I feel like the game got criticised a little bit more than it deserved," Söderlund said. "I think the game is actually a great game. Yes, we have to acknowledge the fact that there were some things that maybe we could have done better, absolutely, but as a whole, if you go in and you buy the game today with everything that's in it today, I believe that that's a game worth buying, personally."

"So that's the first thing I'll say. The [second] thing I'll say is, for Mass Effect as a franchise, that has such a big fanbase, and you know I've seen people saying 'Oh, EA's not making another Mass Effect'. I see no reason why we shouldn't come back to Mass Effect. Why not? It's a spectacular universe, it's a loved [series], it has a big fanbase, and it's a game that has done a lot for EA and for BioWare.

"What we need to be careful though of is, whenever we bring Mass Effect back again, we have to make sure that we bring it back in a really [relevant] way, and in a fresh, exciting place. That' my job, and that's Casey's [Hudson] job, and BioWare and the Mass Effect team's job, to figure out what that looks like, and that we don't know yet, but we will."

Would you agree that some of the criticism it got was unfair?

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nobody is arguing that. Point is, tho, Bioware fans are what is called "storyfag" around here. Gameplay-driven game like Andromeda that pushes story on the second place never had any chance of being well-received amongst them. And, to a point, you can sympathize with them: original trilogy was mainly story-driven, especially second and third game.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Nobody is arguing that. Point is, tho, Bioware fans are what is called "storyfag" around here. Gameplay-driven game like Andromeda that pushes story on the second place never had any chance of being well-received amongst them. And, to a point, you can sympathize with them: original trilogy was mainly story-driven, especially second and third game.

Then I wonder why the hate against MEA is stronger than against Dragon Age Inquisition. Because MEA gameplay focus makes it superficially similar to Mass Effect where there was lots of stuff to explore, upgrades to apply etc. It was just useless because gameplay was so basic. MEA basically plays like better ME1 if you leave difficulty on easy. But Dragon Age was never an open world game. You were trained to explore everything in DA1-2 (and for that matter KotOR and NWN), complete every quest because it was all important and you needed that even on normal difficulty. In DAI though they changed it to sort of a Bethesda style where most quests are really optional. But they don't tell you that, they throw those shards at you and NPCs tell you it's something important, and you're trained to believe such stuff. You're bombarded with quests like kill 10 goats for meat or find a lost goat or find a lost yack or bring those flowers to a grave because I'm too lazy and it's not like you're busy with saving the world, dear inquisitor. In MEA you don't get those until several hours in the game and they're always presented like Ryder being proactive and is not expected to help.

Anyway storyfags still have their story, it's just poorly animated.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah nice gameplay
Yeym8BS.gif

masseffectcrabwalk.gif.b6dd4699a63cce5f0253a2c208d38967.gif

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah nice gameplay
Yeym8BS.gif

masseffectcrabwalk.gif.b6dd4699a63cce5f0253a2c208d38967.gif
Janky animation (which where fixed by now) have shit all to do with "gameplay".

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Well, I guess there won't be a GOTY edition. .. still I find €20 to be to high a price for this.

:keepmymoney:

Freddie

Savant
https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/585...+sees+no+reason+not+to+return+to+Mass+Effect/

Patrick Söderlund "sees no reason" not to return to Mass Effect
We talked to EA's executive vice president at Gamescom.

EA's Executive Vice President Patrick Söderlund was in attendance at Gamescom in Cologne recently, and we couldn't resist talking to the man about all things EA, including Mass Effect: Andromeda. When we asked about his views on the franchise right now, and where it needs to go in the future, he had some very interesting things to say on the matter.

"Well I think, my personal opinion is, I think that the game... I usually don't do this, but this is one of those places where I feel like the game got criticised a little bit more than it deserved," Söderlund said. "I think the game is actually a great game. Yes, we have to acknowledge the fact that there were some things that maybe we could have done better, absolutely, but as a whole, if you go in and you buy the game today with everything that's in it today, I believe that that's a game worth buying, personally."

"So that's the first thing I'll say. The [second] thing I'll say is, for Mass Effect as a franchise, that has such a big fanbase, and you know I've seen people saying 'Oh, EA's not making another Mass Effect'. I see no reason why we shouldn't come back to Mass Effect. Why not? It's a spectacular universe, it's a loved [series], it has a big fanbase, and it's a game that has done a lot for EA and for BioWare.

"What we need to be careful though of is, whenever we bring Mass Effect back again, we have to make sure that we bring it back in a really [relevant] way, and in a fresh, exciting place. That' my job, and that's Casey's [Hudson] job, and BioWare and the Mass Effect team's job, to figure out what that looks like, and that we don't know yet, but we will."

Would you agree that some of the criticism it got was unfair?
Well, he can't trash anything EA has produced so of course stupid peasants just didn't get how great game it actually is.

It's interesting however what he says about Hudson, so two things from the top of my head:
- If ME series comes back, it's likely not happening before Anthem is out, or Hudson point where Hudson can move from producing Anthem to something else.
- Walters, whatever skills he have, didn't saved him this time, his position is unsure.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I personally do not think it's going to come back. It's pretty dead...
I think he's just saying that to calm people.

I think you're right, although there's always a good chance some EA executive decides to launch an online spinoff game based on the franchise. We might see a Mass Effect digital cardgame yet!

:popamole:

Padzi

Arbiter
I personally do not think it's going to come back. It's pretty dead...
I think he's just saying that to calm people.

I think you're right, although there's always a good chance some EA executive decides to launch an online spinoff game based on the franchise. We might see a Mass Effect digital cardgame yet!

:popamole:

This or the new mobile game, like the mobile version of Dungeon Keeper.
And EA will pay for the new Mass Effect rap advertise.
But instead of Horny, put here Garrus or Saren:

RIP Mass Effect

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom