Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Tytus

Arcane
I had my ass grabbed by a gay alien today, how do i tell my dad?

You grab his juicy ass as hard as you can, place a wet kiss on his lips and ask:

"Do you like that dad? Because this is how a gay alien touched me".

Problem solved.

Padzi

Arbiter
I had my ass grabbed by a gay alien today, how do i tell my dad?

You grab his juicy ass as hard as you can, place a wet kiss on his lips and ask:

"Do you like that dad? Because this is how a gay alien touched me".

Problem solved.

1exploitableiamdisappoi.jpg

Iznaliu

Arbiter
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit www.ice.gov for more information.

I am happy to let any undocumented immigrants live in my VW Kombi (I will have to save up and buy a Kombi first, though)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/bioware-kiboshes-mass-effect-andromeda-dlc-cancellation-rumor/

BioWare kiboshes Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC cancellation rumor
Developer says it has 'never heard of Sinclair Networks.'

The Mass Effect rumor machine spun up quickly following a report yesterday which claimed that the planned story DLC for Mass Effect: Andromeda had been canceled. The rumor began with a Facebook message from a purported Austrian studio called Sinclair Networks, now deleted but captured by Critical Hit, claiming that its contract with BioWare to create three Andromeda DLCs had been cancelled.

"Due to issues in initial production, heavy critique, significant delays in other projects, staff allocation and reductions in Montreal, it was decided to shelve the franchise for the time being and all our resources and outsourcing are being focused to the 2018 release of Anthem," the message said. "For the moment the Mass Effect series will be on ice until BioWare can decide which direction the franchise will go."

The whole thing seemed dodgy, but nonetheless gathered some steam because Electronic Arts did put the series "on hiatus" in May and transitioned BioWare Montreal into a new role as a "support studio." Further messages posted on the BioWare Social Network fan site lent it an appearance of legitimacy too: Someone claiming to be an employee of the company said that DLC development had been outsourced because of downsizing at BioWare, but that the decision had been reversed in favor of a focus on Apex missions.

Earlier today, however, BioWare shot down the rumor on Twitter. "While we can't talk about future yet, I can def say we build our own dlc/patches for our games and don't hire fake companies to do so," Mass Effect: Andromeda producer Fernando Melo tweeted.

Addressing a comment about the studio's silence regarding the future of Andromeda, he continued, "The internet is what it is. Doesn't change the fact that there are things we can & cannot talk about at times, as part of a public company... however, new/future content etc is something we can't discuss yet sorry."

Producer Mike Gamble put it somewhat more bluntly.

Unfortunately, the process of taking the air out of this rumor down did not include any word about what sort of DLC is planned for the future of Andromeda, if any. BioWare hinted at the arrival of the Quarians and other races from the original Mass Effect trilogy in May, but nothing has been said about it since. Hopefully it's just playing its cards close to the vest, but with all the trouble surrounding Andromeda and BioWare's new focus on Anthem, if it does have something to reveal, now would be the time to do it.

I've emailed Electronic Arts for more information, and will update if and when I receive a reply.

RepHope

Savant
Even if they do get to make DLC, which even DA2 got, I doubt the usual shitty 5 hour DLC for $15 that Bioware shits out would redeem the rest of the game.

schaltbock

Novice
kotaku now reporting that dlc is a no go

https://kotaku.com/sources-mass-effect-andromeda-will-not-get-single-pla-1796548159

Sources: Mass Effect: Andromeda Will Not Get Single-Player DLC
Yesterday, a widely shared Facebook post claimed that BioWare had canceled Mass Effect: Andromeda’s downloadable content. The good news: that Facebook post was a hoax. The bad news: they guessed correctly. Mass Effect: Andromeda will indeed not be receiving any single-player DLC, three people familiar with BioWare’s plans have told me.

This will be a drastic departure for the long-running sci-fi series. All three Mass Effect games received single-player content after launch, with expansions like Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker and Mass Effect 3's Citadel earning praise for their stories and character development. Fans had expected a similar approach for Mass Effect: Andromeda, but mediocre reviews and animation memes have steered the series in an unfortunate new direction.

In April, as we reported, BioWare scaled down its Montreal studio, whose staff had developed Mass Effect: Andromeda with help from BioWare’s other studios in Edmonton and Austin. The chilly reception to Andromeda led the company to transfer BioWare Montreal’s employees to other projects, including Star Wars Battlefront II, Anthem, and the next Dragon Age. Although a small team remains in place to work on Mass Effect: Andromeda’s multiplayer and patch support (which isn’t done yet), most of BioWare Montreal has moved on.

BioWare also shelved plans for a sequel to Mass Effect: Andromeda, sources said.

While reporting that news, I had been pretty sure that Mass Effect: Andromeda wouldn’t be getting single-player DLC. There are few people left at BioWare Montreal who could even work on it. But I wanted to be more confident, so over the past few weeks I’ve confirmed the news with three sources familiar with the company’s plans, all of whom spoke anonymously so as not to jeopardize their careers. Unless BioWare decides to make some sort of drastic pivot (plans can always change!), Mass Effect: Andromeda will not be getting single-player DLC.

It’s unclear why BioWare has not yet talked about these plans publicly—and the company did not respond to multiple requests for comment over the past two weeks—but this will no doubt come as sad news to Mass Effect fans. BioWare has traditionally released meaty, excellent downloadable content for all of its games, and Andromeda left several loose narrative threads that still need to be tied up.

Yesterday, a widely circulated Facebook post from a group claiming to be called Sinclair Networks said that it had been working on Andromeda’s DLC until BioWare cancelled it. But Sinclair Networks appears to be fraudulent. Several BioWare employees later wrote on Twitter that they had never heard of this company. “While we can’t talk about future yet, I can def say we build our own dlc/patches for our games and don’t hire fake companies to do so,” wrote producer Fernando Melo.

The future for Mass Effect, however, looks dismal.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It sounds exactly like Bioware is approaching that point where it dissolves and a Neanderthal rises from the ruins.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Even if they do get to make DLC, which even DA2 got, I doubt the usual shitty 5 hour DLC for $15 that Bioware shits out would redeem the rest of the game.

It's not about redemption for Bioware at this point; its about sales.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Weird people: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...da-single-player-dlc-hoaxers-head-into-hiding

How internet trolls became Mass Effect fans' public enemy number one
Mass Effect Andromeda single-player DLC hoaxers head into hiding.

Last week, an Austrian developer hit the headlines when it revealed Mass Effect Andromeda's much-anticipated single-player DLC had been cancelled.

The unknown Sinclair Networks claimed to have provided support to a number of big game publishers and to have worked with Mass Effect developer BioWare on Andromeda's recent patches. Sinclair was also helping with Andromeda's single-player DLC, it claimed, but had now been informed it was canned.

The only thing is, Sinclair Networks did not exist. The company was fake, its "employees" were internet acquaintances who enjoyed boasting of their own importance. Sinclair Networks never worked on a single game.

When BioWare staff spoke out via Twitter to state they had no knowledge of the company, Mass Effect fans were upset. After the recent report Mass Effect had been put on ice, the franchise's community was back to not having any formal confirmation of Andromeda's future.

Fan anger turned to Sinclair Networks, as the Mass Effect reddit began investigating the company's credentials. Under fire, the hoaxers headed for the hills. But I was able to speak to one former employee before he did so, too.

Sinclair Networks had operated on Facebook under the guise of a real company for several months - its founder, Patrick Sinclair, has now deleted his profile and his fake company's details.

But the page started off as a positive project - a tech support page where people could turn for help.

"They did like an online support thing for people," Steven Reese, a former friend of Sinclair, told me. Reese, from Hawaii, was listed as a staff member of Sinclair Networks but had never met anyone else from the company. Rather, he just chatted with them via Facebook. "If people posted on the page or sent messages we always tried to help," he said.

Sinclair Networks would post official patch notes for games like The Division to attract fans to its Facebook page - although many of its Likes were fake, Reese said.

"When I was there we offered advice to people making gaming rigs and stuff like that but Jorg [Kellar, another friend of Sinclair's] wanted to make it look more official and like an actual company."

The company only ever listed a handful of employees - including Reese, Kellar and Sinclair. We've tried and failed to get in contact with the latter two.

jpg

Sinclair Networks' hoax.

When investigating the company, reddit users began poking into the background of people who had simply received PC help from Sinclair Networks' Facebook page. Names of these people were published online as possible co-conspirators. I spoke to one person who had previously received help from Sinclair who had woke up, panicked, to messages on his phone telling him reddit was looking into his connections to the company.

This person, who asked to remain anonymous, contacted Sinclair several months ago for help learning HTML. He had received it, and thought nothing more until the company posted their hoax.

"[It's] not a real company," Reese continued, "it's a few guys who like to troll people. When I joined we use to post patch notes. But then they started posting rumors about DLC and nonsense. Changing their details to be a 'developer' and I bailed.

"It's just a few trolls trying to get a reaction through fake news and bullshit like that to trigger the gullible. Now they been called out they ran for the hills."

Sinclair Network's now-deleted Facebook page included a link to the company's website which redirected to another company, CiscoAustria. We've contacted it for comment too, but are yet to hear back.

"[I've] no idea what that is," Reese says when asked about CiscoAustria. "When Jorg started adding addresses and then creating fake IMDB stuff I backed out.

"I met Patrick in a GTA group about three years ago. Started that page about two years ago and he bought fans from some kind of online service to make it look popular. Met Jorg in a Overwatch group about two years ago. Both seemed kinda legit and knew about computers but the last four months got really suspect."

Reese seemed surprised by the number of fans who had believed the hoax. In the Mass Effect community, Sinclair Network's legitimacy had been debated, but there were two points to support its claim. Firstly, big budget developers often work with support studios on larger projects - and often these external developers receive little or no public attention. Secondly, with BioWare Montreal downsized following the disappointing launch of Mass Effect Andromeda, fans thought the idea of another studio stepping in to help with DLC was possible.

Sinclair Networks had attempted other hoaxes in the past. Reese remembers Sinclair posting a fake Ghost Recon Wildlands DLC rumour, which riled up a few fans but failed to find larger traction. But with the internet still waiting for BioWare to speak officially about the future of Mass Effect Andromeda, Sinclair's latest and likely final hoax spread like wildfire.

An EA spokesperson confirmed to Eurogamer neither EA or BioWare had previously known of Sinclair Networks. Despite repeated requests for comment since Andromeda's launch, EA has declined to confirm or deny the status of any Mass Effect Andromeda single-player DLC.

A Kotaku report last Friday stated no single-player DLC was planned, due to the fact Andromeda's Montreal team was no longer around to make it. A source close to BioWare has told me similar - no single-player DLC is currently in production or planned at this time.

Andromeda now looks like it will be the only Mass Effect game without single-player expansions, despite various teases in the main game itself. Andromeda leaves several plot threads dangling - the Benefactor, the kett, Ryder's family, and the much-discussed quarian ark. BioWare is known for creating hugely enjoyable and fan-favourite expansions, such as Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker, Mass Effect 3's Citadel and Dragon Age Inquisition's Trespasser. The lack of any further support for Andromeda only speaks to the franchise's current standing.

BioWare has remained tellingly silent on the future of the Mass Effect franchise - a situation Sinclair Networks took advantage of. With BioWare's new IP Anthem set to be a "10-year journey" and a new Dragon Age game in early development to support as well, there's no knowing when Mass Effect may or may not return. But one things for certain - it won't be from Sinclair.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Just tried MEA. Thought I'll quickly see how horrible it is and drop it.

But it feels better than any of the previous ME games. I've just finished first proper planet main quest (Eos, the sand planet) and I'm having fun. Dialogue feels better as it flows more naturally without forced drama, constant meltdowns and clowns. The basic idea is nice and suits the game better as it felt very strange how supposedly huge universe of previous games manifests itself in a hundred rooms connected by identical doors. There are fewer of cutscene dialogues and I think that's what triggers fans but I'm ok with that - this is a little step backwards but honestly ME2-3 felt annoying with every damn NPC giving you a Globe Theater performance while discussing the weather.

Most importantly it has gameplay. I was very surprised when on Eos I visited some abandoned outpost and was ambushed by Kett using some sort of giant ape monster. I had to sit tight shooting waves of ground troops and than run around the place shooting the beast with my sniper rifle and looking for ammo. Playing on highest difficulty I am really concerned about my equipment as I don't have enough ammo for a serious fight and I have to use environment, run around the battlefield looking for ammo, use consumables. There are also profiles switching your stats and abilities to better suit the situation and huge equipment upgrade system. I fully expect all this to not work at all and the game being perfectly completable on higher difficulty setting whatever I do but those things make me feel I'm playing a real RPG, not a story-focused shooter.

Well, "they say it's for retards but I really like it". Maybe the story is worse but it's like dropping from 3/10 story to 2.6/10 story so I don't really care that much. And perhaps Dragon Age Inquisition taught me that BioWare open world side quests should be regarded in the same way as Assassins Creed/Witcher 3 quest - you only do them when the story is interesting, because otherwise it's tiny veiled collectables from GTA.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I wish I could be in so much denail too. Andromeda would look pretty good then.

What is there to deny?

It has all the faults of previous Mass Effects, slightly less invasive story, slightly less dramatic story, some actual gameplay, not as primitive as a whole. It's not great but it's enjoyable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I dunno, seems pretty likely to me that ME:A does have better/more elaborate gameplay than the original trilogy. Weren't some people on the Codex excited by the pre-release videos with jetpacks and shit?

The game got trashed anyway because Biodrones are storyfags who don't care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom