Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Padzi

Arbiter
Omega DLC is the queen of bad DLC and Arrival is the king. Or vice vera (uh, oh fuck them gender roles). Both are barely playable cause the plot is so stupid it lowers one's IQ.

Awarding winning worth faces:
tumblr_inline_omxai92aQJ1tqmwkj_500.jpg

pippin

You can do without Omega, but Arrival explains what happens between ME2 and 3, which was one of the complaints people had when they played ME3. If you don't get Arrival, you simply don't get why things are happening like that in 3.

Padzi

Arbiter
I have all the DLC except Pinnacle Station.
And I think that Shadowbroker and Arrival should've been part of the game.
Just like Javik in ME3 (day one on disc DLC, ohh Bioware).
Well overallno character should've been downgraded to downlodable content, but Javik was a blatant slap in the face.
I think there is finally I can praise Prospermeda for. No DLC squadmates.

Tytus

Arcane
Well overallno character should've been downgraded to downlodable content, but Javik was a blatant slap in the face.

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. We still don't know what DLC Bioware is preparing. We know they cut one character from the roster. Maybe that person will come back as a DLC pack.

Amid all the bitching about animations this is the real problem with the game. Gook is spot on here.

This is basically the same thing Padzi wrote earlier, about the Joss Wheedonesque dialogues and not taking everything seriously.

Padzi

Arbiter

Aren't the ME1 dlcs integrated into the pc versions?

In Poland CD Projekt localized ME1 for our market. And because of it there are some issues with the DLC. Bring down the sky for this reason was delayed and for some time was incompatible with the polish version, until a CDP finally made a patch. But Pinnacle Station was never translated. It is possible to buy it on Origin, but you need to jump through some hoops to make it work on CDP's version.

Do we know what is the usual ratio between shipped-sold? If so it'd be easy to estimate actual sales.

Either way the only thing that matters is sequels. Whatever DAI sales were we KNOW they weren't good enough bc Bioware is not working on DA4. Same will be true for MEA. Simple.

Which info you pulled out of your ass.

Because the voice actor for Elf Inquisitor in DAI already posted that she is recording lines for a new Elf role.

http://i.imgur.com/MNI9uF5.png

MNI9uF5.png

So they are either making DA4 or some other DA spin-off. They are still trying to milk this franchise.

Then again she just could be recording lines for a mobile app that she thinks is a game...

Then again they''ll still get cucked by CDPR....

I don't think Dragon Age or Mass Effect, Bioware or EA is even a neutral brand at the minute and they would be better launching a fresh IP and renaming the studio as the taint is worse than the hype

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. We still don't know what DLC Bioware is preparing. We know they cut one character from the roster. Maybe that person will come back as a DLC pack.

Amid all the bitching about animations this is the real problem with the game. Gook is spot on here.

This is basically the same thing Padzi wrote earlier, about the Joss Wheedonesque dialogues and not taking everything seriously.

TLDR this shows you what he's trying to get across...

EDIT I'm not even being funny here as the MEA clip is a 2 minute cringy joke romance of two people who are supposed to be saving the human race, while the witcher clip is six seconds of Geralt an emotionless husk being pissed that a guy finds pleasure in torturing and killing whores, when Geralt kills monsters everyday and sees death everywhere.

There is more emotion in that phrase from a guy without emotion, than in any scene in MEA. And you know the Geralt is pissed and you know and you want to beat Whoreson to death, or nearly there and you don't think it's wrong to do it.

Last edited:

Also dialogue from Cora when the PeePee shreck attacks. "Back up... literally."

Do people not realise when you say "back up." And point a gun at them you actually mean back up and are not joking? Why has literally become the new junk progressive writing out of context emphatic term surplanting "period."

Do these idiots not understand you don't write characters based on your own progressive moonspeak otherwise they just sound like a try hard valley girl dressed as a tenticle headed alien?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Once again, we have to read the keywords... is "shifted" the same as "sold"? Bethesda claimed they have shipped a number of FO4 copies and everyone thought that meant copies sold, but it actually means they sent that ammount of copies to stores, not that people actually bought them. As I said before, you will never get clear and honest numbers from videogame companies.

Thankfully we have Steamspy that can, fairly accurately, check number of owners. Fallout 4 now sits on some 4 million copies, in the first day it was 1 mil and in the first month that number was 3 mil. PC sells less then consoles so a number around 10-15 million sales in the first month on all platforms is pretty realistic. Which makes the game a definition of success no matter how hard we wish it would fail.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
EDIT I'm not even being funny here as the MEA clip is a 2 minute cringy joke romance of two people who are supposed to be saving the human race, while the witcher clip is six seconds of Geralt an emotionless husk being pissed that a guy finds pleasure in torturing and killing whores, when Geralt kills monsters everyday and sees death everywhere.

There is more emotion in that phrase from a guy without emotion, than in any scene in MEA. And you know the Geralt is pissed and you know and you want to beat Whoreson to death, or nearly there and you don't think it's wrong to do it.

I think the big difference here is Bioware A) clearly doesn't know how people talk to each other or, god forbid, read social situations and B) they don't have anyone on-board with a modicum of artistic talent to direct cutscenes/dialog beyond a very utilitarian "we need to convey this information to the player in the cheapest and quickest manner possible" approach. I don't know who specifically directed cutscenes in Witcher 3 but you can tell they weren't so intimidated by their sheer quantity to not stop for a second and put said scenes together properly. There was some effort put into the camera work and it shows if you're not there to just project into and fawn over characters the way players seem keen on doing in ME:A.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Oh no. I wanted to play Conquest at some point.

Conquest has some good levels and you can have fun with it as long as you pay zero attention to the story and what Corrin is saying/doing in general. Never before have I been forced to play as such a pathetic protagonist. Corrin is an idiot, sure, but they're also an emasculated little bitch with no will of their own who gets shoved left and right by the other characters, all while wearing a dumb smile on their face, and that's what makes them truly irritating, at least to me. Basically, most of the criticisms about Ryder can also be leveled at Corrin.

I hated Awakening, but the PC in that game was significantly more bearable than what Fates gives you.
He isn't as bad in Birthright, since that is pretty much the game's 'good' path, but in Conquest Corrin is an insipid combination of frustratingly naive, pathetically weak-willed, and hopelessly idiotic. Time and time again it is clearly demonstrated to the guy that A. His father is evil and wants to kill him, and B. The entire cause he is fighting behind is inherently evil and destructive. Despite this, he continues on with following his fathers orders while whining when atrocities and horrible events occur while moaning to himself about how "There has to be a better way!"

For example, despite it being confirmed to his face that his father was personally ordering that his armies rape, pillage, and burn every settlement they come across, it being blatantly obvious that he orchestrated the events that lead to his father and mother's death, and that he had tried to have him murdered as well, Corrin refuses to even believe that his father is evil. He is only convinced when, I shit you not, another character shows him a picture of his father turning in to a slime monster. Even with this concrete evidence that his father was evil and that he was serving an evil cause...Corrin decides to do nothing with this information and continues following his fathers orders. He's really the fucking worst.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Azura: For you see, as this lens will show, he is actually an evil slime monster.
Corrin: !!! It... it all makes sense now!
Crocodile: Oh thank God, now we finally get to kill this motherfucker.

*lens shatters*

Corrin: (oblivious) IS THERE ANY WAY TO SAVE HIM?!
Crocodile: Wait wat
Azura: No. We must reveal him for what he is.
Corrin: .............................
Crocodile: You just-- the lens, why did it even break?!
Azura: The other country has a throne that will expose him as an evil slime monster. If we invade as far as their capital city, killing untold numbers and crushing the country as a whole, we can have him sit on it and show everyone his true form.
Azura: Then, your siblings won't want to fight, and the war will be over.
Corrin: !!!
Corrin: ... I see.

Corrin: (determined) I'll do what it takes to end this war. For everyone.

Fuck Corrin.
Fuck Azura too.
FUCK THEM ALL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Santander02

Arcane
e7d.png

Welp, that does it, Ryder has been cemented in memes as a lego-loving incestuous autistic girl. After collar grabbing-loving "motherfucker" Sheppard that's quite the decline for Bioware

pippin

I think it's also a testament to Bioware's writing that male Ryder has been forgotten and apparently is blander than Kaidan Alenko.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Pretty much. Ryder in general is a complete blank personality-wise. Say what you want about the Paragon/Renegade system from the earlier games, but at least those options gave Shepard a personality to work with:

With Ryder, there is absolutely nothing. You can't even be an asshole, so every single dialogue is either you choosing the 'technical' option (re: being as boring and bland as humanely possible), or the 'wisecrack' (re: you treating everything as if it's a joke). You're constantly belittled and talked-down to by your superiors, your teammates treat your entire mission as a joke, and often rope you in to dealing with their personal problems while making the dumbest decisions possible. And when you do try to be badass, the voice actors for both male and female Ryder are utterly incapable of pulling it off. Mark Meer sounds really awkward at times, but when it comes to delivering corny threats as Renegade!Shep, he absolutely delivered, and I don't even need to say anything about Jennifer Hale's performance.

The reason why people focus on characterizing Sara Ryder as an autistic incest child is because without it, Ryder is an utterly forgettable character.

Last edited:

Max Stats

Liturgist

Aren't the ME1 dlcs integrated into the pc versions?

In Poland CD Projekt localized ME1 for our market. And because of it there are some issues with the DLC. Bring down the sky for this reason was delayed and for some time was incompatible with the polish version, until a CDP finally made a patch. But Pinnacle Station was never translated. It is possible to buy it on Origin, but you need to jump through some hoops to make it work on CDP's version.

Pinnacle Station's garbage anyway. No point jumping through the hoops. To top it off, it's prone to crashing, too.

Also the "emotional-bond" activities post DA2 suck ass, I mean, Leliana singing was cringeworthy, but it was (mostly) due to poor execution; now we get "hurr durr Cassandra reads Varic's books" and "let's emulate zero-g in freaking space".

DemonKing

Arcane
e7d.png

Welp, that does it, Ryder has been cemented in memes as a lego-loving incestuous autistic girl. After collar grabbing-loving "motherfucker" Sheppard that's quite the decline for Bioware

75159 is the freaking 4000 piece Death Star...at least she's got taste in Lego. I'd be into her room in a flash.

75159-1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom