Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
soooooo how is it now ?

flyingjohn

Arcane
After replaying the legend of heroes 1 and 2 in anticipation of the third one,i watched some Andromeda videos on you tube get a laugh or two.
Compared to those games,the writing is below indie level.
And it is just not even funny anymore,it is just pathetic(not even cringey).
The writing is pre-teen level(stupid memes and gags) but the entire feel of the conversations feels off.
Timings,animations,it feels like it was made by autists who's only source of information are cartoons.
Hell i can see the writers/devs just going on twitter and writing "Everyone who doesn't like the game is a evil nazi poo poo head."
It is worse then dragon age inquisition by a mile.(inquisition was cringey,this is pathetic)

Also the difficulty of the game completely ruins the combat.
If you want any choice in weapon usage you have to choose easier difficulties unless you like torturing yourself thanks to hp bloat and weapon imbalances.
But then the game is a joke and gets even more boring.
But if you choose harder difficulties,all you get are hp bloat enemies which just increase the time spent on horrible encounters.
And considering the game is probably not going to get a large amount of dlc,i don't see any future chance for anything getting fixed.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

And it destroyed the entire plot and character development in Andromeda.
No, I don't think you can say that. Andromeda was already destroyed 10x over by a dozen other things. The poor attempts at adding humor was just another raindrop in the perfect storm of awful.

the characters were already unlikeable sjw fodder - from Peebee (worst name ever) to the Garus knock-off empowered turian girl. Just complete trash. Same with the fetch quest plot, the big bad villain and the mmo gameplay.

tbh, I was kinda hoping for at least a good for what it is experience like ME3, but there is literally nothing in this game for me. I have no desire to even pirate it. I just want to laugh at it from afar, though even that is old at this point.

donkeymong

Scholar
While the range for shotguns was absurdly low in the last two games,
I played as a mage.
Had to turn my brain off it was just click, click, click forever.
Kiling a dragon was like going to work.
In Andromeda you can fight a space dragon and it doesn't seem much different:

10 freaking minutes of fighting for poochie to fly back to his home planet with nary a goodbye. What a grindy garbage heap of a game.

While the range for shotguns was absurdly low in previous games, turning the Piranha into a sniper rifle is equally dumb.

Tytus

Arcane
MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA’S CRITICISM WAS LIKE A GUT PUNCH, SAYS BIOWARE DEV
Posted on April 16, 2017, 2:35 am By Billy D

(Last Updated On: April 16, 2017)
Lead designer for Mass Effect: Andromeda, Ian Frazier, spoke recently with IB Times about working on the AAA sci-fi RPG epic with the rest of the BioWare team. However, part of the conversation veered into territory about the criticisms and feedback coming from the hardcore gaming community, and Frazier described it as being like a punch to the gut.

According to Frazier…

“As far as my personal reaction. I won’t speak for the other guys, but I spent quite a bit of my time on Twitter and various forums and such. And I won’t lie, it’s hard. It’s hard to see the criticisms, some of the challenges that are out there.

“It’s difficult because we do want to help, so you’re out on Twitter and forums and stuff trying to troubleshoot issues or give people a hint on something they’re struggling with. But to do that, to help the fans and try to absorb the feedback to better steer what we do next, you have to wade through a lot of crap. And that part is not a lot of fun”

The criticisms for Mass Effect: Andromeda centered around the fact that the game couldn’t even measure up to the technical performance or standards set by the decade old Mass Effect 1. These issues combined with a lot of the typical SJW talking points embedded into the story, and poor dialogue, left a lot to be desired, and plenty of people bummed about the newest entry in the Mass Effect franchise.

Frazier notes that he didn’t enjoy the “gut punch” when reality hit him hard, but it did help them get some insight into what it is they needed to address…

“Don’t get me wrong. I don’t enjoy the occasional gut punch, but on balance I think it’s really valuable that things have gone this way. Our ability to get feedback from fans on such a broad spectrum is great.”

BioWare closed down the forums on their own site, but a lot of fans migrated elsewhere, so they’ve had to go searching for feedback through the noisy and incomprehensible clutter of Twitter and Facebook.

BioWare has already released a patch for Mass Effect: Andromeda addressing the dead fish-eye effect and the body movements for some of the dialogue sequences for a few of the characters. However, they note that over the course of the next two months they’ll be fixing more of the characters’ faces and the poor lighting, graphics and animations as well. There’s no word on if they’ll also fix the awkward dialogue.

Maybe for the next BioWare outing they’ll actually make the game better than a decade old title and Frazier won’t have to worry about feeling like he got punched in the gut. Also, there’s still no ETA on when they’re going to add fair-skinned customization options so you can make light-skinned Asians and Caucasians/whites.

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/0...-was-like-a-gut-punch-says-bioware-dev/28755/

Poor Ian. I don't understand who those dispicable fans could have done something so terrible to him. IAN DID NOTHING WRONG!

:philosoraptor:

J1M

Arcane
2112aeo.jpg

:hmmm:
At least now you know the account of a Bioware employee.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Oh no. I wanted to play Conquest at some point.

Conquest has some good levels and you can have fun with it as long as you pay zero attention to the story and what Corrin is saying/doing in general. Never before have I been forced to play as such a pathetic protagonist. Corrin is an idiot, sure, but they're also an emasculated little bitch with no will of their own who gets shoved left and right by the other characters, all while wearing a dumb smile on their face, and that's what makes them truly irritating, at least to me. Basically, most of the criticisms about Ryder can also be leveled at Corrin.

I hated Awakening, but the PC in that game was significantly more bearable than what Fates gives you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Padzi

Arbiter
And it destroyed the entire plot and character development in Andromeda.
No, I don't think you can say that. Andromeda was already destroyed 10x over by a dozen other things. The poor attempts at adding humor was just another raindrop in the perfect storm of awful.

the characters were already unlikeable sjw fodder - from Peebee (worst name ever) to the Garus knock-off empowered turian girl. Just complete trash. Same with the fetch quest plot, the big bad villain and the mmo gameplay.

tbh, I was kinda hoping for at least a good for what it is experience like ME3, but there is literally nothing in this game for me. I have no desire to even pirate it. I just want to laugh at it from afar, though even that is old at this point.

There is some truth to it. Because the writers instead of creating a character from the ground upm they rely template. They write a gay instead of a character that happens to be gay, they write a lesbian instead a character that happens to be lesbian. They write a fuckfaced crazy Asari, instead a mutlifaceted character. Zero fun.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA’S CRITICISM WAS LIKE A GUT PUNCH, SAYS BIOWARE DEV
Posted on April 16, 2017, 2:35 am By Billy D

“It’s difficult because we do want to help, so you’re out on Twitter and forums and stuff trying to troubleshoot issues or give people a hint on something they’re struggling with. But to do that, to help the fans and try to absorb the feedback to better steer what we do next, you have to wade through a lot of crap. And that part is not a lot of fun”

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/0...-was-like-a-gut-punch-says-bioware-dev/28755/

Poor Ian. I don't understand who those dispicable fans could have done something so terrible to him. IAN DID NOTHING WRONG!

:philosoraptor:

At least devs know it's shit.
:excellent:

Don't worry, I soldiered on and got this gem:

For some reason, Mass Effect: Andromeda is scoring significantly below both Mass Effect 2 and 3 on most major gaming sites. Even Dragon Age 2 got higher scores. I honestly don't understsand that. Perhaps the animation memes and what not leading up to the release made it more acceptable to bash it, despite it being an AAA title. It's certainly not because the animations in question are bad enough to warrant a huge drop in ratings.

It's an AAAAAAAA title, of course it should never have low scores or be bashed! This is an outrage!! :outrage:

It's entirely true though. Reviewers are herd animals who generally only score games unexpectedly low when there is a socially acceptable reason for it. Memes are what killed ME:A's score, merely being a bad game would have gotten it 8.5/10 "it's OK" reviews.
no man's sky got its share of 10/10. if internet hadn't existed, every game ever would get 10/10 today.

pippin

No Man's Sky was endlessly shilled by the media, so it's not just a case of Molyneuxery here. Not trying to appear as smart or cool, but I kinda knew it was going to be a shit game just by reading a quick list of its features. It's not really a surprise that the game ended up being shit, especially since the other game made by them had a rather simple premise and even then they fucked it up.

Andromeda had more cautious marketing. Perhaps trying to avoid any NMS-like controversy. But while Bethesda managed to save face with Fallout 4 in spite of being a terrible disappointment for people who actually care about them, Andromeda is just too bad. Also, it has been proven that Bioware employees do post on forums and social media to promote the game, so I would not be surprised if the post above is actually an example of this.

Padzi

Arbiter
if internet hadn't existed, every game ever would get 10/10 today.

It reminds me of late 90s when the internet in Potato was incredibly slow and it was rare to have it, so everyone bought magazines to find out about games. I threw out mine a couple of yers ago, because they were just junking up my room. God bless the internet. Thanks to it I at least saved money through not preordering Prospermeda.

pippin

Spore belongs to a different era, though. I think one of the few positive aspects of Gamergate blowing up, going back to the Kane and Lynch days, is that media is really under constant scrutiny by customers when it comes to the stuff they are buying, because gaming media is just another marketing arm. Still, score controversies are nothing new, and have been there since gaming and tech mags have existed. Guru Larry has made videos pointing this out, back in the Spectrum/Amiga days gaming media was just as shamelessly corrupt as they are now. The difference is that we can see it happening real time now. The controversy about Driver 3 was "avoided" mostly because the devs and the media were gung ho about it not making it through to the "mainstream".

we saw the amazing tech demo of spore, our expectations were based on it. who would have thought *that* game had been scrapped long before?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I kinda knew it was going to be a shit game just by reading a quick list of its features.

It was pretty obvious afaic. After all, what they promised meant only two things - it's either gonna be a gigantic, embarrassing failure or they've perfected the procedural generation proces to the point of basically having developed the first true AI in history. And I knew they haven't developed the first true AI in history.

Deleted member 7219

Don't worry, I soldiered on and got this gem:

For some reason, Mass Effect: Andromeda is scoring significantly below both Mass Effect 2 and 3 on most major gaming sites. Even Dragon Age 2 got higher scores. I honestly don't understsand that. Perhaps the animation memes and what not leading up to the release made it more acceptable to bash it, despite it being an AAA title. It's certainly not because the animations in question are bad enough to warrant a huge drop in ratings.

It's an AAAAAAAA title, of course it should never have low scores or be bashed! This is an outrage!! :outrage:

It's entirely true though. Reviewers are herd animals who generally only score games unexpectedly low when there is a socially acceptable reason for it. Memes are what killed ME:A's score, merely being a bad game would have gotten it 8.5/10 "it's OK" reviews.
no man's sky got its share of 10/10. if internet hadn't existed, every game ever would get 10/10 today.

AAA games would - but games from smaller studios would still get kicked around.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Those of you who played andromeda and FF XV, which is less worse at this point ?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I made a mistake and checked out Andromeda for two or three hours yesterday. Putting aside all the animation nonsense, why are the characters trying to out-quip each other constantly? Bioware's been on a steady decline with writing, but this is seriously rock bottom. At this point they're better off just firing the entire writing team and going for a fresh start. So bad. Not a single goddamn situation so far has had any impact because it's all so over the place tonally.

:deadtroll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom