Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Tom Selleck

Arcane
what the fuck has happened in this thread? remember when ryder walked like she had to shit? good times

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Prospermeda is too much for mortal eyes and sometimes you have to take a break.

Whoever laughs at Mass Effect: Andromeda should see to it that in the process he does not become redacted.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If the purpose of ME1 writing was to bore people to death then it was a great success, seeing how writing was boring and bland just like its characters. It felt like a SF pulp writer trying to make a serious space opera and failing miserably in the process. Sure there were some good parts in there but overall the writing was just forgettable.

Except it wasnt boring, it didnt fail and you have been unable to argue otherwise other than with anecdotal evidence. It wasnt forgettable either, some of it sure, its a 60+ hours rpg, but a lot of it has stuck with the people that played it years after.

:lol:

Your only arguments that the game good was that it was popular thus its good, you like it thus its good and its better then some shovelware thus its good.

My argument was that compared to actually good RPGs released at the same time game is bad.

I did acknowledged that this game is fun for people like you who has low standards and shit taste.

Also I will just assume you didnt respond to my previous post due being unable to do so due using up your reserve of poor arguments.

And just so that you know I will be using our nice discussion as a reminder to point fingers and laugh at you every time you go on and try to bitch how PoE is a bad game and its fan base delusional.

Sykar

Arcane
If the purpose of ME1 writing was to bore people to death then it was a great success, seeing how writing was boring and bland just like its characters. It felt like a SF pulp writer trying to make a serious space opera and failing miserably in the process. Sure there were some good parts in there but overall the writing was just forgettable.

Except it wasnt boring, it didnt fail and you have been unable to argue otherwise other than with anecdotal evidence. It wasnt forgettable either, some of it sure, its a 60+ hours rpg, but a lot of it has stuck with the people that played it years after.

Your only arguments that the game good was that it was popular thus its good, you like it thus its good and its better then some shovelware thus its good.

My argument was that compared to actually good RPGs released at the same time game is bad.

I did acknowledged that this game is fun for people like you who has low standards and shit taste.

Also I will just assume you didnt respond to my previous post due being unable to do so due using up your reserve of poor arguments.

And just so that you know I will be using our nice discussion as a reminder to point fingers and laugh at you every time you go on and try to bitch how PoE is a bad game and its fan base delusional.

Name them.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

ME1 was good when it was released and is great now. ME1 was the best in the series. Every aspect, besides the rpg system and itemization, was best in ME1. ME1 was the only ME game that was going for a hard SF non-hippy setting. Two is when it became a silly space opera. 3 was better than 2 but still far too silly and space opera instead of SF. The only good characters are the ones introduced in ME1, and they are only good in ME 1. Besides Joker, he gets much better in 2 and 3.

ME1 was like "A Mote in God's Eye." And ME2 and 3 was like the sequel to that book. It was good, it just wasn't nearly as good as the original and it seems like there was a lot of acid and mushrooms done by the writers between the first and sequals and it just took off on this crazy fantasy nonsense that didn't jive with the original.

Lhynn

Arcane
Nope, ive made plenty of arguments, cited quests, talked about the races and how developed they were, etc. If you want more details go to the fucking wikipedia page. I have told you its there, if you do not know this, then either you havent played it, therefore your opinion is irrelevant, or you dont remember, which makes it equally irrelevant.

My argument is that compared to good rpgs released at the same time the game is decent, because around that time actual bad games got released too, which makes your point an inaccurate one, i am merely correcting your wrong criticism. If you want to argue that it wasnt the best game released on the same decade, or even the same year, or month, or whatever the fuck, then sure, i dont fucking know what kind of a retard would deny this, but this doesnt turn it into a bad game.

And i have already clarified that there is good stuff to be found in this rpg. If you want us to devolve into personal attacks again fine by me, but we are at page 41 and all you have done is shitpost. Its about fucking time you start putting some effort.

No, i didnt respond your previous post due to considering it a waste of time, even more than usual. You are like a child with your "but guise, its bioware, it couldnt have possibly made anything good hur durr", i have made my arguments and all of them addressed your uninformed opinions and how they were wrong, but you refuse to acknowledge them despite overwhelming evidence and give me the same old tired shit.

What does one game have to do with the other you retarded twat? not that it matters, PoE isnt even on the same league of ME1. World building in ME1 was actually good, quest design in ME1, while stupidly simple was also actually good from a writing standpoint, ME1 nailed the atmosphere by nailing both the art and the sound, the music in the game is pretty good too and the voice acting is p. great, which some interesting characters too.

Jesus fuck, we could take the brave boy ghost quest from PoE, or the pregnant woman quest and youd find that the first one is retarded and the second one is literally a poorly disguised expositional fetchquest. ME1 first quest has you dealing with some fairly mundane military problems in which a family wants the body of their sibling that died in the colony attack, which the military doesnt want to deliver because they want the body for research purposes. In this quest the game teaches you several things from their world, first that the military is much like our own, second just how the attacks from the geths have affected the people outside of the colonies, it also teaches you your own place in the military as an influential officer, and it lets you test the waters with the alignment system, it frames your efforts and your place in the fucking setting in a way PoE never does, and it shits all over almost every quest in poe and its a 2 minutes shitty fetchquest.
This kinda thoughtful design is present in almost every quest in ME1. It may not be fucking brilliant, but its still appreciated.

Jesus fuck markec whats with you and this irrational hate? Thought this shithole and everyone on it took pride in telling it like it is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/mass-andromeda-paragon/

Mass Effect: Andromeda's Missing Paragon/Renegade Choices

Mass Effect: Andromeda turns its nose up at the original trilogy's rigid morality. It boasts a more nuanced and intellectually compelling shades-of-grey approach in which a heart icon pops up when it's time to tell an alien to take their clothes off.

Still, a few topics in the game felt strangely incomplete without a Paragon or Renegade response from Ryder.

6d592f405e05ba47d17738ccd052702df09e332f.png

96b2fe8b2987dea28441c8e777d17c8ca739f954.png

05c948d3b60e34c7e3842522e89b68414b8c102b.png

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Error 1011 Ray ID: 34715853ed273530 • 2017-03-29 08:09:05 UTC
Access denied
What happened?

The owner of this website (i.somethingawful.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/u/ctstalker/2017/me_andromeda_01.png).

Edit: resolved

Last edited:

donkeymong

Scholar
Wot? Mass Effect 2 and 3 have pants on their head major plots, they aren't good even for genre fiction. Using you analogy, Bioware wouldn't be the kid making the rocket but that boy writing his name on feces and dressed like a girl. Hey, at least he knows how to write... something... it just needs to use a better material for it.
I think we are only discussing ME1. 2 and 3 basically threw away most of what gave the game some depth or made the setting believable or interesting.
ME2 did a few companions better than ME1, and it streamlined the combat a lot (which i disliked, because it dumbed it down and made every encounter predictable with the "oh look, so many chest high walls, i wonder what they are here for").

I think that's the problem I have with your thoughts re: me1
it had almost zero depth or interesting things, and most of it was imo based around a 2001 easer egg i particularly liked, other than that, it was just another aaa game. No need to be so defensive about it.
I do think they made combat less clumsy with the sequels though, there's no second opinions about that because combat in me1 was a confusing mess no matter how you look at it, and if you think otherwise you're trying too hard. Mass Effect was born to be a rather dumb aaa sci franchise and in many ways it's ok.

What exactly was confusing about the combat in this game, aside from the first time the player saw a Krogan get a "second life"...

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Krogans were really formidable enemy in ME1. When they charge, often it was *game over*. Rachni and Geth Destroyers too.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Don't understand why people thought ME1 was so damn good, combat was trash as fuck popamole bullshit where you didnt even need tactics, just run and gun till all the easy as shit enemies are dead, no need for cover. The 'rpg mechanics' were terrible, oh, should I do 5% more damage with my pistol or should I push shit 5% harder with my space magic. Itemization was absolute shit, there were literally only 4 weapons in the entire game. Thats it. Only 6 pieces of armor in the game really only 3 if you don't count the one different model each armor type had. 'Mako driving exploring uncharted woooooorlds' was just you driving around in a shitty fucking car that can jump around a shitty textured bump map. The only thing ME1 has over the other ME games is that there are no faggots in it.

donkeymong

Scholar
Don't understand why people thought ME1 was so damn good, combat was trash as fuck popamole bullshit where you didnt even need tactics, just run and gun till all the easy as shit enemies are dead, no need for cover.
On easy or normal maybee...
Starting on insanity with a level one character, tactics, powers and cover were definitely needed...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Name them.

I already did, MoTB, Witcher 1, Geneforge 4 and Avernum 5. But as I also said even if there was no good RPGs around the time ME1 was released that wouldnt make ME1 magically good only better then the rest of the shit games but still shit.

ME1 was good when it was released and is great now. ME1 was the best in the series. Every aspect, besides the rpg system and itemization, was best in ME1. ME1 was the only ME game that was going for a hard SF non-hippy setting. Two is when it became a silly space opera. 3 was better than 2 but still far too silly and space opera instead of SF. The only good characters are the ones introduced in ME1, and they are only good in ME 1. Besides Joker, he gets much better in 2 and 3.

ME1 was like "A Mote in God's Eye." And ME2 and 3 was like the sequel to that book. It was good, it just wasn't nearly as good as the original and it seems like there was a lot of acid and mushrooms done by the writers between the first and sequals and it just took off on this crazy fantasy nonsense that didn't jive with the original.

Nope, ive made plenty of arguments, cited quests, talked about the races and how developed they were, etc. If you want more details go to the fucking wikipedia page. I have told you its there, if you do not know this, then either you havent played it, therefore your opinion is irrelevant, or you dont remember, which makes it equally irrelevant.

I already noted that arguments under category "I like it thus its good", which is actually just your opinion not a fact.

My argument is that compared to good rpgs released at the same time the game is decent, because around that time actual bad games got released too, which makes your point an inaccurate one, i am merely correcting your wrong criticism. If you want to argue that it wasnt the best game released on the same decade, or even the same year, or month, or whatever the fuck, then sure, i dont fucking know what kind of a retard would deny this, but this doesnt turn it into a bad game.

Kudos for taking my argument and flipping it over, and it only took you 5 pages to do it, you know could have done that much sooner.

So let me just repeat myself, even if ME1 was the only RPG ever made it would still be a piece of shit game that only people with low standards and shit taste could enjoy, people like you.

And i have already clarified that there is good stuff to be found in this rpg. If you want us to devolve into personal attacks again fine by me, but we are at page 41 and all you have done is shitpost. Its about fucking time you start putting some effort.

I agreed that there are good stuff in ME1, unfortunately its buried in a sea of shit. Man I have been calling you autist and you me a retard, we have been throwing shit at each other so far, why stop now. I am amused by your "effort" which, as mentioned, consists of "arguments" "I like it thus its good" and "Its better then shovelwere thus its good".

No, i didnt respond your previous post due to considering it a waste of time, even more than usual. You are like a child with your "but guise, its bioware, it couldnt have possibly made anything good hur durr", i have made my arguments and all of them addressed your uninformed opinions and how they were wrong, but you refuse to acknowledge them despite overwhelming evidence and give me the same old tired shit.

Pure gold here. First start with a complete lie "but guise, its bioware, it couldnt have possibly made anything good hur durr" since I never said anything or implied anything remotely, seeing how I consider BG2 to be one of my favorite games and some other of their games I hold to high regard. Again your "arguments" are just opinions but you consider my arguments opinions but yours as a facts. Only "evidence" you provided are your "meh feelings".

What does one game have to do with the other you retarded twat? not that it matters, PoE isnt even on the same league of ME1. World building in ME1 was actually good, quest design in ME1, while stupidly simple was also actually good from a writing standpoint, ME1 nailed the atmosphere by nailing both the art and the sound, the music in the game is pretty good too and the voice acting is p. great, which some interesting characters too.

Jesus fuck, we could take the brave boy ghost quest from PoE, or the pregnant woman quest and youd find that the first one is retarded and the second one is literally a poorly disguised expositional fetchquest. ME1 first quest has you dealing with some fairly mundane military problems in which a family wants the body of their sibling that died in the colony attack, which the military doesnt want to deliver because they want the body for research purposes. In this quest the game teaches you several things from their world, first that the military is much like our own, second just how the attacks from the geths have affected the people outside of the colonies, it also teaches you your own place in the military as an influential officer, and it lets you test the waters with the alignment system, it frames your efforts and your place in the fucking setting in a way PoE never does, and it shits all over almost every quest in poe and its a 2 minutes shitty fetchquest.
This kinda thoughtful design is present in almost every quest in ME1. It may not be fucking brilliant, but its still appreciated.

It has to do with the fact that you have no self reflection. Every single "argument" you provided, every single excuse, every single "fact" is identical as to what any fanboy would have said for a shitty game they enjoy. Be that for PoE, FO3, ME1 or any other shitty game. I just focused on PoE since you have been attacking that game since day 1, mocking people who would say something like:

"My argument is that compared to good rpgs released at the same time the game is decent, because around that time actual bad games got released too, which makes your point an inaccurate one, i am merely correcting your wrong criticism. If you want to argue that it wasnt the best game released on the same decade, or even the same year, or month, or whatever the fuck, then sure, i dont fucking know what kind of a retard would deny this, but this doesnt turn it into a bad game."

Yet when the game you like is under attack you respond exactly the same way as them. So I was just trying to point out how big of a hypocrite you are.

Jesus fuck markec whats with you and this irrational hate? Thought this shithole and everyone on it took pride in telling it like it is.

I could say what with your irrational love for this shitty game that you go on such length to prove its good and get so butthurt in the process because someone claims its a shit game.

The truth is I really dont care about ME1 but I do enjoy good argument and that why Im still here.

I judge all games by the same standards, I dont care what company or person made it, a biggest SJW can make the game and I will praise it if its good and I will be critical of a game even if my best friend made it.

I find you amusing since, as I said, there are lots of shit games I love and enjoy. Like Dungeon Siege 3, Alpha Protocol, Dead State, Dynasty Warriors and many more. I know they are shit games, but I still like them and if someone tells me that those are shit games I just shrug my shoulders and continue playing. What I dont do is get all butthurt and defensive, trying to argue how actually good the game is, thats just insane.

Now in case you are butthurt due my constant use of word shit to describe ME1 I think some clarification is in order. I dont say shit for a game that complete and utter garbage, but for any game I think its not worth playing. So a game that I would score from "mediocre at best 5/10" to "Its worse then Oblivion 1/10) would all fall into category of "shit". Just like if I call you a faggot, its not because I think you like taking dicks up your ass but because I use it as a generic insult.

Juggie

Augur
On easy or normal maybee...
Starting on insanity with a level one character, tactics, powers and cover were definitely needed...
I made the mistake of playing the whole series on insanity and ME is not exactly difficult even in the scenario you describe. Slow, tedious, monotonous? Sure, but waiting for your character's regen or cooldowns or enemy's immunity to expire in cover is not my idea of meaningful challenge. The need to use sticky cover at all is not a positive thing in my book either.

Higher difficulty settings don't increase enjoyment of the game so I wouldn't use them in arguing about necessity of cover. Veteran is playable with very little use of cover.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I always felt that the ME series was just something Bioware stumbled into.

They wanted to continue with the kind of story telling that was in KOTOR, but with an IP they didn't have to pay royalties on. And at the same time, they wanted to reach a broader audience, so they made it a cover shooter.

It was a simple premise: KOTOR as a cover shooter - minus the automatic fan expectation of kewl lightsabers that would necessitate an expensive melee system and aforementioned royalties. They even retained force powers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom