Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Turjan

Arcane
This thread stopped delivering!!! I demand new, fresh space horrors!

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:+:mhd:+:prosper: = ?
Patience. You probably have to wait until all the Codexers that bought the game are done playing it.

This is damn beautiful in all the wrong ways. All that ominous music as the shots focus on her slow transformation into an eldritch horror... It's like something straight out of The Thing.
love.png

Drakron

Arcane
Microorganisms would kill them all within hours, days at most.

Not really, you are forgetting Earth virus and bacteria evolved along the other species, virus are rather specific on what they target and bacteria would be more complicated, still unlikely.

People just say this because of what happened to America when exposed to European virus but they ignore both Europeans and Native Americans are human, it would be akin of a virus that targets horses would infect humans, they dont ... different species, they can mutate but still that doesnt commonly happens.

donkeymong

Scholar
I always wonder who the fuck can stomach "romancing" aliens. Even Asari in the original trilogy were unsettling but this takes zoophilia to a whole new level.

IRL I can't even stomach the thought of screwing the vast majority of my own species...

I'm pretty sure if you put your typical SJW in a room with an alien and turned on the mood lighting they would be clawing at the door trying to escape in microseconds.

Yet there are brothels with female Orangutan in Asian countries...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I always wonder who the fuck can stomach "romancing" aliens. Even Asari in the original trilogy were unsettling but this takes zoophilia to a whole new level.

IRL I can't even stomach the thought of screwing the vast majority of my own species...

I'm pretty sure if you put your typical SJW in a room with an alien and turned on the mood lighting they would be clawing at the door trying to escape in microseconds.

Yet there are brothels with female Orangutan in Asian countries...

He means that the alien would be clawing at the door, trying to escape.

HEY GUYS YOU WERE ALL WRONG!!! CODEX BTFO!!!

Criticism Of The Facial Animation In 'Mass Effect: Andromeda' May Have Been Misdirected

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...omeda-may-have-been-misdirected/#71496a4b1397

Mass Effect: Andromeda’s facial animations are not very good which has led segments of the internet community to lose their minds. Memes, gifs, blog posts, articles and despicable sexist attacks on one of the game’s animators have been the result. Not surprisingly, some of the people contributing to this uproar do not have a solid grasp on how facial animations in games are actually constructed.

See guys the animations aren't bad at all you just don't understand how animations are made you fucking retards :retarded:

It’s important to notice Cooper’s point that the facial animations in Mass Effect: Andromeda were very likely created be designers, not animators. The criticism, ridicule and abuse heaped on Bioware’s animators was not only outside the pale, it was strikingly misinformed.

You fucking retards ha ha, btfo again, your criticism of the shit animation was not only outside the pale, disgusting and another sexist Gamergay holocaust it was also wrong because you said the animations were created by animators, when they really... erm... probably... were created by designers.

If Cooper is right about this, the people responsible for Mass Effect: Andromeda’s poor facial animations are not the animators and designers at Bioware who built the game, but the people at either Bioware or Electronic Arts, the game's publisher, that insisted the game be released before it was ready.

Cooper’s Twitter Moment on facial animation is well worth reading not only for its insight into how games are created but as a corrective to venting ridicule and outrage on the internet if you don’t really know very much about you’re complaining about.

See the animations are bad because the game wasn't finished you dumbfucks. Oh and you can't complain about anything that is completly fucked up if you don't know how that's made, remember that guys the next time you get a bad meal or a beer that tastes of bleech in a bar because the dishwasher has fucked up

...Seriously how is this article even possible? I though Forbes was supposed to be somewhat objective, this is just beyond disgusting. It's not even shilling it just sounds like an angry butthurt rant from a Bioware dev blaming everyone but themselves for their own mistakes.

Last edited:
We can't pretend much from the people who thought it was cool to have a scene with your crew watching a movie together like fucking overgrown children.
It's actually kinda symblistic. In ME3 your crew and friends are having parties and drinking. In Andromeda they are watching movies.
That's diffrence between teenagers and adult people.

There's no symbolism on it. Citadel DLC was made to provide a more satisfying ending for the fans, and was mostly intended as a comedic episode. So it's more like your average fanfic turn into a reality.
And it has Tali singing (iirc it was here).
the citadel was ONLY for comedic purposes, that's why it's great. as a stand alone spin-off i would have worshipped it.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I though Forbes was supposed to be somewhat objective
Afaik they have low standards for their "contributors" so it's not hard to get stupid shit published. Reminds me of Ted and TedX where one is curated platform and the second one is available to any shitspewer who pays.

GrainWetski

Arcane
That's amazing. :D

Not the guy melting into his chair... that's pretty normal for Bioware quality. I meant that someone made a non-hideous Ryder.

Where did you see a non-ugly Ryder? Not in the video above your post, that's for sure. She looks like she has the mumps.

...Seriously how is this article even possible? I though Forbes was supposed to be somewhat objective, this is just beyond disgusting. It's not even shilling it just sounds like an angry butthurt rant from a Bioware dev blaming everyone but themselves for their own mistakes.
Forbes is shit outside of that Erik or whatever guy.

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Criticism Of The Facial Animation In 'Mass Effect: Andromeda' May Have Been Misdirected

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...omeda-may-have-been-misdirected/#71496a4b1397

Mass Effect: Andromeda’s facial animations are not very good which has led segments of the internet community to lose their minds. Memes, gifs, blog posts, articles and despicable sexist attacks on one of the game’s animators have been the result. Not surprisingly, some of the people contributing to this uproar do not have a solid grasp on how facial animations in games are actually constructed.

See guys the animations aren't bad at all you just don't understand how animations are made you fucking retards :retarded:

It’s important to notice Cooper’s point that the facial animations in Mass Effect: Andromeda were very likely created be designers, not animators. The criticism, ridicule and abuse heaped on Bioware’s animators was not only outside the pale, it was strikingly misinformed.

You fucking retards ha ha, btfo again, your criticism of the shit animation was not only outside the pale, disgusting and another holcaust it was also wrong because you said the animations were created by animators, really... erm... probably they were created by designers.

If Cooper is right about this, the people responsible for Mass Effect: Andromeda’s poor facial animations are not the animators and designers at Bioware who built the game, but the people at either Bioware or Electronic Arts, the game's publisher, that insisted the game be released before it was ready.

Cooper’s Twitter Moment on facial animation is well worth reading not only for its insight into how games are created but as a corrective to venting ridicule and outrage on the internet if you don’t really know very much about you’re complaining about.

See the animations are bad because the game wasn't finished you dumbfucks. Oh and you can't complain about anything that is completly fucked up if you don't know how that's made, remember that guys the next time you get a bad meal or a beer that tastes of bleech in a bar because the dishwasher has fucked up

1.This level of press retardation can only be attained when a magazine that has no experience, or any business for that matter, in videogames, has a go at discussing videogames.
2.What I really don't get, is how they went from having games with facial animations that worked, to this mess. Seriously. Cannot BioWare into copypasting models and animations? Many will argue that moving from UE to FB did it, but seriously, this is a case of "you had one job, for fuck's sake".
3.What is even less fathomable to me, is how all of this got through QA without anyone batting an eye.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
. Oh and you can't complain about anything that is completly fucked up if you don't know how that's made, remember that guys the next time you get a bad meal or a beer that tastes of bleech in a bar because the dishwasher has fucked up

I completely agree. :bro:

...Seriously how is this article even possible? I though Forbes was supposed to be somewhat objective, this is just beyond disgusting.

There is your mistake. Forbes has really gone down the drain in the last decade or so, trying to have a stab at pretty much anything that is vaguely popular or promising to be so. Instead of sticking with their audience of wannabe jetset millionaires, they went overboard and tried to gain recognition as a veritable magazine in every single possible niche of the market, from videogames to cooking to cockrings. And, as easily foreseeable, this was their undoing.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I remember playing street hockey once and the ball hit me square in the nuts. Yeah I know, I'm an idiot for not wearing a cup.

That shit stung for a good 10 minutes or so.

That experience is superior to ME:A

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What I really don't get, is how they went from having games with facial animations that worked, to this mess. Seriously. Cannot BioWare into copypasting models and animations? Many will argue that moving from UE to FB did it, but seriously, this is a case of "you had one job, for fuck's sake".
The studio/teams are not the same, from what I understand. Hence the thread title.
3.What is even less fathomable to me, is how all of this got through QA without anyone batting an eye.
My guess is they are staffed to the gills with SJWs who really don't have much experience with games in general, let alone QCing them. That or top down incompetence. Who knows?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
What I really don't get, is how they went from having games with facial animations that worked, to this mess. Seriously. Cannot BioWare into copypasting models and animations? Many will argue that moving from UE to FB did it, but seriously, this is a case of "you had one job, for fuck's sake".
The studio/teams are not the same, from what I understand. Hence the thread title.

Well, sure, but one assumes that BWMontreal is made out of people with at least some experience, and that, being the company the same, they could ask BWHQ to send them over the .3ds (or whatever) and the animation scripts... Or is there some virtual wall preventing them from communicating (like a normal, business-minded company would do when passing over a franchise or project from one office to another)? But again, yeah, I guess the very fact that the game was released in such a state, proves me wrong.

I just read an old review of Mass Effect 2 and was reminded that the voice actors included Martin Sheen, Yvonne Strahovski, Tricia Helfer and Seth Green. The original had Keith David, Marina Sirtis and Lance Henriksen. ME3 also added another Battlestar Galactica graduate in Michael Hogan. This is smart casting as they're using talent which is already associated with well-known sci-fi shows or other shows with geek credentials. Basically the casting is saying if you liked these sci-fi shows then this is the game is for you.

MEA has one chick from Game of Thrones.

Either the budget for Voice Acting went way down or they simply lost the plot.
It is madness to encourage developers to prefer famous people for voice actors. A giant waste of budget. It's not that famous people are necessarily bad, but there has always been a core of superb voice actors who cost a fraction and do at least as well if not better. I am sad that I'm old enough to remember Skyrim being mocked for Patrick Stewart, only to now see ME:A being mocked for not having celeb voices.

it was oblivion.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sitrep. Whatever this game is one thing is clear - it's less shitty than ME3 and and WAY less shitty than DA:I. The writing and plot is a tiny bit more retarded than ME3 but the visuals, sounds and combat is lightyears ahead.

It's one of the best looking games so far. DA:I was one of the shitties RPGs I've ever played but I always thought the concept and environment artists at Bioware deserved a medal. Probably the last vestiges of talent left at this sinking ship. In MEA they outdid themselves and the landscapes are amazing. The animations are just as bad as the memes said. Fucking incredible for the current year.

Multiplayer in ME3 was the only saving grace for that game and in MEA it's basically the same. No inovations whatsoever so far. Kindda letdown but it's still fun.

(Except I can't, for some reason, play the Apex missions. If I set the mission status to an Apex mission and then punch "Join match" I end up in a lobby for just a regular custom mission. And when I try to "Create match" with an Apex mission modifier noone ever joins. Something's fucked up with the netcode. Then again ME3 MP was a buggy, unbalanced mess in the early stages too.)

donkeymong

Scholar
From what i have seen on youtube, other positives are: The Nexus as an area is at least as big as the old Citadel. Real sniping is back
and the vintage heatsink mod that make any weapon use the "old" overheat system instead of ammo.

Drakron

Arcane

If the first thing that comes out is "unless you done it, you cannot criticize" then you have no actual argument.

I should not be saying this because nobody judges a movie on its technical aspects or most of movie critics that do have some degree of cinema most of the time never actually directed them or have actual knowledge on the technical aspect.

It’s important to notice Cooper’s point that the facial animations in Mass Effect: Andromeda were very likely created by designers, not animators. The criticism, ridicule and abuse heaped on Bioware’s animators was not only outside the pale, it was strikingly misinformed.

Now that is quite a bold statement, care to back it up? because there are people listed in the credits and I, like everyone will, assume they were responsible for that, not the cleaning lady ... at least people with a "small grasp" have a small grap instead of making statements that animations were made by designers.

IMDB lists:

Animation Department
Maxwell Adams ... cinematic animator
Tyson Bradock ... animator
Shwan Khalid ... motion capture animator: EA Canada
Patrick Sinclair ... animation director
Ken Thain ... cinematic director
Jeff Wong ... motion capture animator: EA Canada

Those are the names listed, they took credit....

Ah, Jonathan Cooper ... funny thing he works att Naughty Dog and guess WHO also worked with Naught Dog? Patrick Sinclair since IMDB have him listed in Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, now he is a contract worker kinda since he also worked in a lot of other games (like Fallout 3 and 4 and some of the AssCred games) so I dont think he would take kindly as someone using his name all things considering.

Yet where we are making wild claims ...

I dont need to know how animations are done to know what looks like crap, the moment that argument was made and even worst, claiming that somehow it was the SPOOKY DEVELOPERS that did it and just wrote names on the credits of actual people ... did something go wrong? oh yes ... but the fact the animations are shit doesnt change the fact the animations are in fact shit, why are they shit? is the animators fault or the programmers fault or both of them fault?

Its 2017 and its NOBODY FAULT, responsibility? that so last century ...

Ediit:

Jonathan Cooper seems to like to talk a lot ...

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why a Trans character has been shoehorned in this game after being put in DA:I. Dragon Age I may understand, but the Mass Effect saga was initially designed as "realistic", yet social minorities such as trans, lesbians and gays are being portrayed in great numbers.

While having nothing against them they are not nearly as common as these games make them out to be. I know hundreds of people and out of all of them, two gays and one lesbian.
http://www.newnownext.com/mass-effect-andromeda-gay-romance/03/2017/

Mass Effect: Andromeda will feature a sexy gay romance when it debuts later this week, but some fans think that Bioware’s attempt at LGBT representation didn’t go far enough.
I think it's ok that they'd say it has stopped to be a game, and has become more a some sort of romance simulator, I think both audiences would be happier. Also, I think this game seriously belongs to the general gaming, as was suggested.

Bioware damage control is now reduced to asking Codex mods to switch threads to hide the game:D

This thread stopped delivering!!! I demand new, fresh space horrors!

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:+:mhd:+:prosper: = ?

Watch a few lets plays or basically any of the clips Bioware has put out itself, they're all laughable, then after a while you get used to it and watch on in stony faced silence. BTW we are not here to entertain you, just ourselves.

I stopped making memes and webms because no matter how much I mocked the game, the next clip from the actual game footage I watched was much worse

You fucking retards ha ha, btfo again, your criticism of the shit animation was not only outside the pale, disgusting and another sexist Gamergay holocaust it was also wrong because you said the animations were created by animators, when they really... erm... probably... were created by designers.

Anyway just to follow up on this, I've signed up with Forbes and tried to comment on the article, as I'm sure many others have, it redirects my comments to another article and when I manually change it back it won't allow my comment and say please reload page. Now I posted my comment on the other article unaware at first, then apologised then stated on that article that the site was redirecting comments and not allowing them. All those comments were deleted.

Now does anyone know Erik Kain or Paul Tassi on twitter and can you ask them to explain why their publication is publishing insulting clickbait with a percieved right to reply which in practice dosen't exist. Here's my comment if anyone thinks I was being a cunt, I wasn't I was being harsh but fair...

OK just signed up again (because I forgot my old password) to post this....

Both Forbes and Kevin should be ashamed of this article. What it boils down to is saying the customer is wrong because they don't understand why a product is bad and how much work went into it.

Kevin I don't give a damn and nor should you about how much work goes into something if the end result is shameful or not fit for purpose.

Nor do I need to know how to make everything I use before I am allowed to criticise it. I don't need to do that when I order dinner, fly in a plane, drive a car etc. If a product is a joke to the ultimate consumer it is a joke period.

Imagine both readers and Forbes and Kevin if you had written the same sort of article about Samsung phones self immolating....
...Oh yes they're bad but the customers don't understand how much work went into them and besides they don't understand how to manufacture a phone.

This is shameful and the worst argument and article I have ever read (and I read the Guardian, so have read some really bad ones)

Keppo

Arbiter
I checked game credits from Witcher 3 and Mass Effect Andromeda, because there is discussion on internet that BioWare had smaller budget = less people working on animations and this is the reason for them why animation sucks etc...

So Witcher 3:

One department responsible for animations in Witcher 3.

Character Animators: 9 people who shipped Witcher 3

Additional Character Animators: 6 people, probably ppl that worked only some time on W3 and left company during production and didnt shipped / maybe some outsource

And this is it, 15 ppl worked on Witcher 3 animations.

Mass Effect Andromeda:

3 departments responsible for animations in Mass Effect Andromeda:

Cinematic Animators: 11 people

In-Game Animators: 11 people

Technical Animators: 8 people

30 people worked on animations in Mass Effect Andromeda. two times more than in Witcher 3.

So they probably fucked up something badly in production, they had shitty tools, or they are just lazy and unskilled fucks.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom