Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

I strongly disagree about one point. A Mass Effect game without a sense of urgency caused by a galaxy-level threat would be great. When everything's an extinction-level event it is difficult to deliver on the fantasy of Space Cop or write a coherent sequel. The universe is big enough that things can matter for other reasons.

If they were smart Mass Effect would basically just have been space James Bond with your Specter license to kill. No reason for it to be a trilogy of games, the whole idea behind that was gameplay related, and it was pretty clear by game two in a three part series that they'd abandoned the idea of a changing throughline based on player choices. If you're not doing the thing that was the whole reason you announced it as a trilogy, may as will just drop the trilogy angle. Just have Shepard encountering big space opera versions of the kinds of threats Bond does, (like the first game did with its rouge agent main villain) or the kinds of villains you'd find in space operas. Instead they stupidly went really big and ended a series they still intended to make more games in, in a way that makes them have to pick a ending if they want to do anything that takes place after it.

J1M

Arcane
I strongly disagree about one point. A Mass Effect game without a sense of urgency caused by a galaxy-level threat would be great. When everything's an extinction-level event it is difficult to deliver on the fantasy of Space Cop or write a coherent sequel. The universe is big enough that things can matter for other reasons.

If they were smart Mass Effect would basically just have been space James Bond with your Specter license to kill. No reason for it to be a trilogy of games, the whole idea behind that was gameplay related, and it was pretty clear by game two in a three part series that they'd abandoned the idea of a changing throughline based on player choices. If you're not doing the thing that was the whole reason you announced it as a trilogy, may as will just drop the trilogy angle. Just have Shepard encountering big space opera versions of the kinds of threats Bond does, (like the first game did with its rouge agent main villain) or the kinds of villains you'd find in space operas. Instead they stupidly went really big and ended a series they still intended to make more games in, in a way that makes them have to pick a ending if they want to do anything that takes place after it.
I agree with you, but I'd still call the thing a trilogy because that clearly resulted in many people feeling obligated to play all 3 when they became interested in one.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
It took balls for Bioware to end Mass Effect 3 the way it did. Love it or hate it, it was a real ending, one that tied up all the storylines so completely that it basically salted the earth for any cash grab sequel to be released in its wake. Even if you are disappointed in how it ended, you have to admire the finality of that. That's a very un-EA thing for EA to have done to one of its biggest franchises.

Wunderbar

Arcane
mTNoLju.jpg

It took balls for Bioware to end Mass Effect 3 the way it did. Love it or hate it, it was a real ending, one that tied up all the storylines so completely that it basically salted the earth for any cash grab sequel to be released in its wake. Even if you are disappointed in how it ended, you have to admire the finality of that. That's a very un-EA thing for EA to have done to one of its biggest franchises.
I dunno why people are rating this opinion poorly. Attempting to keep the series going indefinitely by dumping the trilogy format would've almost certainly taken the franchise to far worse places than ME3's endings.

Oh wait, EA/BioWare did take the franchise to worse places than ME3's endings and that's why this thread exists.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
This game has some of the worst writing and plotting I've seen in a "big" game, and that's coming from someone who tends to think games suck at both in general already.
Can you be more specific? I don't disagree, but I'm curious what your reasoning is.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This game has some of the worst writing and plotting I've seen in a "big" game, and that's coming from someone who tends to think games suck at both in general already.
Can you be more specific? I don't disagree, but I'm curious what your reasoning is.
How does it compare to the Disney Star Wars movies?

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath

Theldaran

Liturgist
At least SJtar Wars had something to defile.

I played Mass Effect 1 and that was enough. Maybe EA wanted the saga to be their own Assassin's Creed, with yearly releases.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Just the plot skips over pretty important info, the quests are the barest of the bare justifications for pressing E on things. Dragon Age Inquisition was similar but at least had somewhat of a basic plot structure and development, but this one just throws shit out there without any development or sense. The villain is just the villain and everyone mentions him but he was never really introduced or developed at all. You go to Hoth and try to help tube ear people and none of them really have intros or setups, just random chat factories. It's weird honestly, since the first three games were basically interactive movies.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
If Bioware hadn't gone SJW, this game would never have tanked. I just don't understand why corporations insist on cutting their nose to spite their face.

It's stupid.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

If Bioware hadn't gone SJW, this game would never have tanked. I just don't understand why corporations insist on cutting their nose to spite their face.

It's stupid.
Not sure if that's the case. DA:I was full SJW and didn't tank.

No, it's about giving the game to an inexperienced team, who also happened to be SJW, who then went about hiring all their dumb, talent-less, SJW friends - at times in the hopes of having sex with them, in the case of that facial animator girl.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Not sure if that's the case. DA:I was full SJW and didn't tank.

Oh, it tanked. It tanked hard.

• Sales numbers never released, not even hinted at.
  • Franchise has been in deep storage for half a decade now, after DA:I release.
  • Mike Laidlaw, the lead designer, fired
  • Aaryn Flynn, the general manager, fired.
  • Lead writer, Gay McGayface, gone.

Bioware changed officially EA Bioware, under the EA Worldwide Studios umbrella, because they just can't be trusted on their own.

That's Inquisition tanking. ME:A wasn't even made by any of those people - not to mention it was made in a sister studio in another city. No this is DA:I tanking, and tanking hard.

No, it's about giving the game to an inexperienced team, who also happened to be SJW, who then went about hiring all their dumb, talent-less, SJW friends - at times in the hopes of having sex with them, in the case of that facial animator girl.
Funny. I could have quoted that line out of any rando on Reddit, where he's echoing it from the next NPC.

In reality, Mass Effect Andromeda is unquestionably a better game than DA:I, by a country mile. It's better than ME2 and ME3 combined, but then again, they were both extreme shitshows with mere passing resemblance and relation to the awesome original Mass Effect.

If anything, ME:A is the actual sequel to ME1.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom