Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So are ass effect 1 and 2 the only ones worth playing?

ME1 was entertaining but remember that its a 10 year old console game. ME2 is defended by people here for some reason but its basically a cover shooter with very, very limited RPG mechanics. They did make the only black guy's father a deadbeat dad who Cosby's a ton of women so there is that. ME3 brought back some of the RPG mechanics but the story is godawful stupid.

Vorark

Erudite

Yes.

ME1 = Would still be king if ME3 didn't shat all over it. Worth it for atmosphere and the soundtrack. Combat is a bit clunky (and there's a lot of it).
ME2 = Isn't the sequel ME1 deserverd and fucked up the whole series. Feels like a spinoff which, considering how the third one went, is a good thing. Improved combat, couple of decent characters, story went full on retard.
ME3 = Nope. Ignore it.

Hellion

Arcane
ME2's story (minus its DLCs) ends up being completely irrelevant in the long run though. What you do in the course of this game doesn't have the slightest effect whatsoever in ME3's story or world state (apart from 1-2 choices regarding your NPCs, which result in a few optional quests). They might have skipped from ME1 straight to ME3 and nothing would have changed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
ME2's story (minus its DLCs) ends up being completely irrelevant in the long run though. What you do in the course of this game doesn't have the slightest effect whatsoever in ME3's story or world state (apart from 1-2 choices regarding your NPCs, which result in a few optional quests). They might have skipped from ME1 straight to ME3 and nothing would have changed.
Nah it is the other way around. ME was shit and they decided to change the story. The original story was about the suns doing shit,like the mission with Tally . ME3 was just CoD in space.

Latelistener

Arcane
They might have skipped from ME1 straight to ME3 and nothing would have changed.
We wouldn't get the best game in the series.
Story became irrelevant by the time they kicked out Karpyshyn after ME2.
Originally Reapers wanted to solve a problem with dying stars, which was actually the consequence of the mass effect (thus the name).
Instead we got some shit about synthetics and organics, that was not the central theme of the first two games.

Last edited:

Yes.

ME1 = Would still be king if ME3 didn't shat all over it. Worth it for atmosphere and the soundtrack. Combat is a bit clunky (and there's a lot of it).
ME2 = Isn't the sequel ME1 deserverd and fucked up the whole series. Feels like a spinoff which, considering how the third one went, is a good thing. Improved combat, couple of decent characters, story went full on retard.
ME3 = Nope. Ignore it.

Combat is very clunky in that first Mass Effect game, and dumb, and stage layouts are pretty awful from what I remember of it. Game mostly just got by at the time of release on the hope all these parts that had promise would actually fulfill that promise in the next game...which it didn't. And also the game's atmosphere and soundtrack, which they totally fucked up in ME2.

Given how it's basically just a third person shooter, especially after that first game, I'd say someone would just be better off playing any number of third person shooters. Like, just play Vanquish, MSGV, RE6, Binary Domain, GWAR 2, or GoW2 instead of a Mass Effect game.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Nah it is the other way around. ME was shit and they decided to change the story. The original story was about the suns doing shit,like the mission with Tally . ME3 was just CoD in space.
:what:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'd say someone would just be better off playing any number of third person shooters. Like, just play Vanquish, MSGV, RE6, Binary Domain, GWAR 2, or GoW2 instead of a Mass Effect game.

The issue with that sort of proposal is that some people are on a site called RPG Codex and feel the need to prove their legitimacy by playing stuff with "RPG" in the description.

I'd say someone would just be better off playing any number of third person shooters. Like, just play Vanquish, MSGV, RE6, Binary Domain, GWAR 2, or GoW2 instead of a Mass Effect game.

The issue with that sort of proposal is that some people are on a site called RPG Codex and feel the need to prove their legitimacy by playing stuff with "RPG" in the description.

They can just pretend the games are RPGs like they pretend Mass Effect games are RPGs. Some of those have leveling systems, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Cael

Arcane

They can just pretend the games are RPGs like they pretend Mass Effect games are RPGs. Some of those have leveling systems, so it shouldn't be too hard.
I thought it was the conoversations that made it a RPG? You know, you get to choose WHO to bone, what TONE to take with the NPC, pretending to be a hard bitten badass jerk when in actually you are just picking the rude and nasty lines to mirror your real life personality?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I thought it was the conoversations that made it a RPG? You know, you get to choose WHO to bone, what TONE to take with the NPC, pretending to be a hard bitten badass jerk when in actually you are just picking the rude and nasty lines to mirror your real life personality?
Yeah the first two games are petty good games and rpgs in my opinion. Rollplaying for me is not only changing stats.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I need to remember to put [/sarc] tags in my posts...

When people actually believe the kind of stuff that you say sarcastically, and as a fairly new-ish user, you aren't that distinct from the people who find their way here, then it's not surprising that those are necessary.

Cael

Arcane
I need to remember to put [/sarc] tags in my posts...

When people actually believe the kind of stuff that you say sarcastically, and as a fairly new-ish user, you aren't that distinct from the people who find their way here, then it's not surprising that those are necessary.
I had thought the crack at the losers in front of the monitor would have clued people in :D

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I had thought the crack at the losers in front of the monitor would have clued people in :D

Maybe that would work on other forums, but this is a forum that insulting everyone else is a daily activity, similar to taking a dump.

Axie

Scholar

Maybe that would work on other forums, but this is a forum that insulting everyone else is a daily activity, similar to taking a dump.

And here we have nice example of a post that is an insult to all the people suffering from opoid induced constipation, while being masked as explanatory one.

[URL='http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?posts/5393473/rate&rating=25&_xfToken=22068%2C1512138588%2C8dc40619c7fa2acc864369be4ad24b7365350cdf']:greatjob:
[/URL]

Santander02

Arcane

None are very good. ME1 was probably the best in terms of world building and lore and rudimentary RPG mechanics, but the combat sucked. ME2 had better combat but lost most of the RPG trappings, and the story sucked. ME3 was a flaming bag of crap. ME:A was... well, you've got 100 pages of posts on ME:A.

I don't get people that prefer ME1 to 2 because the later got rid of the RPG elements, Was ME1 such a great classic RPG that loosing said elements was some sort of blasphemy, a la Fallout->Fallout3? ME1 was a shitty RPG and a mediocre shooter, ME2 is a good shooter and not an RPG at all which honestly makes it a better game, the game focused on the one thing that it could do right and not bother being something it could never be. Story-line was equally cheesy Bioware fare in both but I found the one in 2 to be one hell of a lot less pretentious precisely because it didn't have this forced attempt at "epic" world building and just focused on the action, I like it in an dumb but fun action movie sort of way. As a plus for both games they were written before nuBio went full SJW so there's no blatant social pandering shoved on the player's faces like the tyranny scene or the strong independent lesbian elf in DAI.

From what I've seen of ME3 it tried a "please everyone" approach and failed miserably like such approaches usually do.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I don't get people that prefer ME1 to 2 because the later got rid of the RPG elements
I never understood myself why people cherish the RPG elements in ME1. They weren't very good, so nothing of value was lost.

I believe it is the feeling of what could've been if Bioware had actually cared about making a quality RPG rather than a mediocre cinematic shooter, though I haven't played any of the ME games myself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Very few people (excepting those who were already predisposed to hate all BioWare games obviously) actually disliked Mass Effect 2 when it came out. It was seen as an enjoyable popcorn game and a fine companion to Dragon Age: Origins. Any current dislike for it is driven to a great extent by a retroactive appraisal of its influence on the subsequent BioWare games, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. The former is commonly thought to have been dumbed down because of Mass Effect 2's success, while the latter's poor story is partly blamed on Mass Effect 2's failure to advance the Reaper plot in a meaningful way.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Very few people (excepting those who were already predisposed to hate all BioWare games obviously) actually disliked Mass Effect 2 when it came out.

I hated it immediately. Very few people played ME at all compared to ME2. For most people, ME2 is where it started. Some dudebros ventured into trying ME and were like "dude" ... "terrible shooting brah"... "yeah brah". ... "so much text lol" and thus started the meme "ME had terrible gun gameplay". Well, ME2 had terrible gun gameplay, it just didn't matter in ME because that game wasn't about gun gameplay.

It's upsetting just remembering how bad ME2 was and still is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom