Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Binary Domain for PC

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You all have more patience than me.

bonescraper

I just tried the demo (the Steam one, not TPB one :p) and... it's surprisingly good. Why? I can't fucking explain it. I absolutely hate Gears of War. It's one of the worst games in existence, so i don't know why i like BD. It looks like shit, the controls are shit and the whole idea of a Japanese GoW clone sounds extremely repulsive. I don't like Japanese games, i don't like cover shooters... so wtf is wrong with me? :?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just tried the demo (the Steam one, not TPB one :p) and... it's surprisingly good. Why? I can't fucking explain it. I absolutely hate Gears of War. It's one of the worst games in existence, so i don't know why i like BD. It looks like shit, the controls are shit and the whole idea of a Japanese GoW clone sounds extremely repulsive. I don't like Japanese games, i don't like cover shooters... so wtf is wrong with me? :?

I think the fact that you still tried the demo even though you despise all the characteristics of the game could mean

bonescraper

I think the fact that you still tried the demo even though you despise all the characteristics of the game could mean
Could mean what?

I tried it, because it looks like the most awful, bland and uninspired game ever. Fuck, even its cover art looks like it was made for a budget Russian PoS. So i just couldn't understand how anyone could like it. Especially here, on the 'Dex. I tried it out of sheer curiosity. And to my big surprise, i found it... fun.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I can't bear to hate it. Although some gameplay moments frustrates me tremendously. Honest, I fuck up often, but the fact that the game literally gave you 9 lives from the medkits kept me up and the knowledge that the more I screw up, the worst ending I'll get is enough motivation for me.

LundB

Mistakes were made.

This is almost exactly what I went through (except it started when I saw the Consequence system trailer and preordered for lulz). I was genuinely surprised to like the game as much as I did. SEGA was unforgivably shit at marketing this game. It should have sold way better than it did, on consoles and presumably PC (Looking around, they have plenty of decent trailers. Why the fuck is none of them on Steam?).

My TL;DRs in this thread are really me just trying to figure out why I like it while hating other cover shooters. The fact that it's not really a cover shooter (at least past the first 10 minutes or so, where popamoling is still a workable strategy) due to the aggressive enemies is probably one of the biggest factors. Then all the little things like locational damage etc. that I mentioned earlier.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yay, a patch that cures some of consolititis:

* FOV options have been added in the Configuration Tool for Aiming and Normal views.
* Fixed Configuration Tool crash when modifying options for DirectInput control pads.
* Restored missing Controller Sensitivity options to Configuration Tool.
* Added basic keyboard and mouse navigation to the menus.
* Updated mouse sensitivity; mouse aiming should generally feel more comfortable now.
* Added Volume option in the Configuration Tool.
* Changed the Screen Size setting to be 100% by default.
* Changed the default button prompts to the keyboard icons.
* Fixed a crash on game exit.

RK47

Patron
And shock burst is still mapped to Reload.
Goddamn babysteps. Otherwise, good changes.

9821.jpg

bonescraper

Yeah, funny how a nation can decline so much in a period of 50 years.

Angthoron

Arcane
Finished BD, and I've got to say that I really enjoyed it. Fun combat, varied enemies, dismemberment, neat bosses, amusing one-liners, memorable stereotype characters, campy story that combines lulz and drama in good measure AND doesn't take itself seriously, AND an endgame that made me recall the good ol' days of 8-bit Nintendo.

Oh yeah, and some neat music tracks, too. And this thing BioWare doesn't know the meaning of - pacing. Zomg.

All in all, a pretty good game.

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
This game's fucking ace, screw the haters.

Just killed the spider boss. I don't know whether the AI's pretty good or I just got lucky, but I just focused on blowing the armor and keeping the thing busy trying to shoot me while the party destroyed the glowy bits I had uncovered all by themselves.

On Survivor the enemies supress you, charge your position, throw grenades, flank you, and shit.

It's pretty cute how the squadies react to how you play, how much you fail at the improvised maneuvers, how much you kill, etc. They feel more alive and interactive than anything Bioware has ever done.

All the guys in the squad are total douchebags, though. Faye should have been the main character.

Sul

Savant
Just finished it on Survival, easily best shooter in ages.

I love it. I want to kill myself. The poor sales and critical reception despite the story been as good as it is (very, very low standard to compete with) and the gameplay been so much better and varied than the best selling third person shooters makes me sad and has caused my opinion of contemporary gaming to sink to a new low.

RK47

Patron
Metacritic at 74
:hero: SAYYYGAHHHHHH!

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I guess someone didn't bribe enough games journlolists.

Monk

Arcane
Very good game. And don't forget the cut scene that comes after the credit.

Angthoron

Arcane
I do hope they get to make an addon/sequel and not just be canned by SEYYYYGAAAAH because of retarded reviews.

"Imitation of third-person combat", one of them said. What the fuck?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom