Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Binary Domain for PC

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
In hypothetical case I'd try it, at what difficulty level should I start when I would try ironman?

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Hahhah, awesome. Just played CH2 and it's the first time you get to pick your squadmates. I picked up two females and they started to question if I only cared about their asses and asked if I was some pervert. (not in those words but anyway)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes it's like in Chrono Trigger, one macho and two chicks. Aka Luminare and Antipode2.
I wonder if women players tend to have one female character, and two males around.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Cutscene dialogs are kept funny and functional. No drama or overly distressing emotional bullshit a'la BioWare writing. Loved it when the Yakuza guy asked the MI6 dude about James Bond. :lol:

Overall the game keeps inclining the more I play. Definitely the best third-person shooter out there for a long time. The setting would indeed lend itself well for an Alpha Protocol style RPG.

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
I wonder if women players tend to have one female character, and two males around.

At least it isn't rare when the art style and visual quality makes the guys attractive. Back in Granado Espada, it being a Korean F2P MMO where each player controls a party of three characters, parties composed of one girl and two guys were about as common as parties composed of one guy and two girls.

Amusingly, the lone girl in the party was rarely a scout as scouts are very rarely used in pairs and male scouts, well...

3530222024_e8a7094874_o.jpg

:oops:

Though I did see a couple of female warriors followed by an entourage of two male scouts.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
what the fuck man use spoiler tags why do you want to ruin my emotional engagement

it is fundamental to the experience that I see no dialogue or implications about the plot

Angthoron

Arcane
You have to change the setting in the configuration to display M+K controls. Don't ask me why but it's set to xbox controller as default.
Didn't realize that was possible and was about to rage about how hard was it to fucking port control hints appropriately. Thanks bro.

Stabwound

Arcane
What exactly is the codex hype over this? Looking at gameplay videos it looks like the definition of shit popamole shooter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What exactly is the codex hype over this? Looking at gameplay videos it looks like the definition of shit popamole shooter.

It basically is but apparently there are a lot of shit popamole shooter fans on the Codex. Morgoth routinely betrays his Oldfagastanian heritage by posting his anticipation/enjoyment about console centric games. Not to say my tastes don't include what others would consider questionable a la Torchlight, etc. but pure cover shooters is pretty much where I draw the line. I can't explain it but it's just a chore for me to play them.

Then again, this game doesn't pretend to be anything other than a semi-budget console cover-shiooter co-op game. However, I still think it is overpriced at $40 or even $20 for that matter.

Machocruz

Arcane
Anyone play Vanquish? Best damn popamole around, probably because you can get raped hard for sitting behind block all day. Seems Japan can into cover shooters better than.

LundB

Mistakes were made.

Unlike most popamole, you're generally not just popping moles (which is, as Metro says, a chore; hideously boring). They'll flank you, rush you, and go right over, around, or through your cover, raping you if you spend too long sticking to a crate. I found myself spending at least as much time out of cover as in it. It also does some fun things with locational damage that are pretty rare in shooters. The boss battles are also fun, varied, and are a welcome change from the shitty boss battles that have been plaguing recent games.

Of course, not knowing any of this when I preordered, I got it because the :lol: Jap writing and much-advertised Consequence System (I wanted to see how much was BS) looked like they'd provide enough lulz to justify the low price. I was just pleasantly surprised to find that it's actually fun, unlike just about every cover shooter I've tried. It's kind of amusing/depressing that the Japs have managed to make the first game within a very Western genre that I think is actually fun to play.

Twinkle

Liturgist
It's kind of amusing/depressing that the Japs have managed to make the first game within a very Western genre

It was Japs who introduced that shit gameplay concept so they still deserve to burn in atomic hell.

Bamco's kill.switch was probably the first game that implemented nextgen-style cover system with blindfiring and stuffies.

However it wasn't until Generation Shitbox when *talented* game designer CliffyB made it popular thanks to Microsoft's colossal hype machine, while in reality Gears of War p. much ripped off kill.switch mechanics at the same time slowing it down to a crawl which made it taktikool and engaging in the eyes of mouthbreathing retards.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I'm enjoying this game immensely. It's like futuristic The Expendables as a popamole computer game. bioware could fucking learn from this. It's just chapter two and I roared with laughter several times. :thumbsup: The controls are bad though, the mouse especially suffers from consoletitis

Big BO is a BRO :bro:

LundB

Mistakes were made.
The controls are bad though, the mouse especially suffers from consoletitis

Yeah, having finished it on Saturday, I can say that my only major problem with this game is the controls (and the blue bar QTEs I guess, but there are only 3 of those in the game I think).

Turning off aim assist and going into the config menu to turn mouse sensitivity way up helped compensate for the mouse acceleration. It was still noticeable, but not nearly as bad. It got tolerable enough that after playing for a while, I got used to how it worked, and was able to turn 180° quickly when I wanted to.

Forcing reload and shock blast to use the same key was retarded, and obviously due to console button limitations (fire one shot, see tough enemy, try to fire shock blast FUCK YOU DAN WHY ARE YOU RELOADING!?). Pressing enter for the pause menu instead of escape was also a bit counterintuitive.

Lack of native 16:10 support is also sort of annoying, but I don't really mind the tiny black bars at the top and bottom of the screen (there are sometimes black bars on the sides too, but that can be fixed if you change the 'screen size' menu option in-game).

Though the mouse acceleration is a huge problem, luckily most of the other possible port complaints don't really hold up. It runs smooth on a mid-tier laptop, and the smaller FOV isn't the huge problem it would be in a first-person game. In fact, I think the fact that you can't see as much to the side and behind the character is actually an improvement, removing some of the cheating feeling I get with other third person games, where you can see things your character wouldn't have any way of being aware of. Gamepad controls being displayed is only a problem if you don't bother to look at the config menu. Graphics options are limited, but not nearly as awful as many ports (again, unless you don't bother using the config tool).

As for the game itself, after finishing it on Survivor, these are my thoughts:

As I mentioned earlier, the enemies being aggressive and forcing you not to just pop like a mole, but stay in motion (well, not beyond the very beginning, when you're only facing greens, though even they will charge you at times) was refreshing and eliminated the main reason I hate most cover-shooters (popamole is boring).

The boss fights were fun and varied. They could be difficult, but they never felt unfair to me. Some of them were also very impressive (that spiderbot). It was pretty much all 'try to take off the armor and hit the weak spot', but the differences in how the bosses attacked and moved, not to mention their varying sizes, made each fight feel quite different. (Advice: In one boss fight, a dude suggests you use a special mounted gun with armour piercing bullets. Don't listen to him. That thing is a deathtrap if you stay at it for too long.)

The weapons were generally fun to use, though towards the end, if you've upgraded Dan's assault rifle whenever you get the chance, you have little motivation to use any other weapons, except a sniper rifle for longer range encounters. However, while it is a pity, it is only really an issue during the later part of the game, and only if you bought the upgrades.

The locational damage system was nice. It's not complicated, but so few games bother trying something like it. I found myself thinking strategically, trying to shoot off the legs of fast enemies like shock troopers to prevent them from engaging up close, and working hard to take off a minigunner's head in order to confuse its friend-or-foe system and leave the smaller enemies on screen absolutely fucked. It's also fun to be grabbed by a legless robot, making you easy pickings for his friends (and if you don't kill it fast enough, a grenade it might detonate), and desperately trying to kill it and get out of the open before being killed. Knocking arms off wasn't as useful, but it did at least make them drop their weapons, and lower accuracy significantly if they picked them back up with their other arm.

The story and characters were stupid, over-the-top action movie type fare, and were extremely fun. It doesn't pretend to be anything it's not, unlike so many other games. I laughed quite a few times during the game, and it wasn't just unintentional humour.

I liked it a lot, which took me by surprise, as I had preordered it pretty much entirely for the lulz.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Why in the hell won't they let you separate some of the control functions, I mean I don't want to sprint with Space, I would much prefer Shift instead, and since you're forced to use cover I'd rather Ctrl be the cover key, and keep space as the Dodge/Climb key, but noooo all these commands have to be stapled together on the same key. Shock Blast and Reload on the same key is also a stroke of evil genius, if anything I'd prefer holding right click to do the Shock Blast, but again, crap. Why does there even have to be an Examine key? Seriously, what kind of mechanic is that. I want to bind Melee and Pick Up to the same key, but again that's impossible. Why do cover shooters have to have such stone age control schemes? The way DX:HR and the Brotocols did it was fine, but this... it's borderline unplayable. Then there's the annoying mouse acceleration, but somebody suggested maxing out the sensitivity so I'll try that.

I have a stupid question. You can use tab to bring up the voice commands list. How do you actually select the various commands? Assuming you don't want to yell stuff in the mic (which seemed to not work very well for me)?

This is actually sort of a moot point since I rage quit/uninstalled the demo after trying to figure this out and trying to deal with the menu system. But now I'm curious.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Why in the hell won't they let you separate some of the control functions, I mean I don't want to sprint with Space, I would much prefer Shift instead, and since you're forced to use cover I'd rather Ctrl be the cover key, and keep space as the Dodge/Climb key, but noooo all these commands have to be stapled together on the same key. Shock Blast and Reload on the same key is also a stroke of evil genius, if anything I'd prefer holding right click to do the Shock Blast, but again, crap. Why does there even have to be an Examine key? Seriously, what kind of mechanic is that. I want to bind Melee and Pick Up to the same key, but again that's impossible. Why do cover shooters have to have such stone age control schemes? The way DX:HR and the Brotocols did it was fine, but this... it's borderline unplayable. Then there's the annoying mouse acceleration, but somebody suggested maxing out the sensitivity so I'll try that.

Admittedly, I haven't examined the config utility in details, so this may be a stupid question, but it does have key remap feature. Did you try it?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Like I said, the problem is not the key remapping, it's the function splitting. You can rebind reload/Shock Blast from R to Ctrl, for example, but you can't split them into a separate key for reloading and a separate one for Shock Blast. Dodge/Climb/Sprint/Cover is the worst offender here, because it lumps 4 different things together on one key that I would rather have on 3 keys.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a stupid question. You can use tab to bring up the voice commands list. How do you actually select the various commands? Assuming you don't want to yell stuff in the mic (which seemed to not work very well for me)?

This is actually sort of a moot point since I rage quit/uninstalled the demo after trying to figure this out and trying to deal with the menu system. But now I'm curious.
You can turn off off microphone in the options, if you turn it off it adds keys you can press to reply to the tab display.

That caused my second alt+f4 in this game, first one was the xbox buttons and not being able to even do anything. :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom