Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Starwars

Arcane
It's really not. It's much more of a "walking simulator" horror with some sneaking sections.

It's pretty damn good though if you don't get ulcers from someone saying walking simulator.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dread Out is indie fatal frame with unusual theme (Indonesia). Graphic is bad, voice acting is super chessy, but it is somewhat enjoyable. Steam reviews are mostly positive too.

Cromwell

Arcane
Dread Out is indie fatal frame with unusual theme (Indonesia). Graphic is bad, voice acting is super chessy, but it is somewhat enjoyable. Steam reviews are mostly positive too.

because mobile phone camera instead of camera camera or is it also good? I liked fatal frame a whole lot and dread out is drit cheap now.

railway

Educated
Any good survival horror games on steam? In the style of Silent Hill?

I enjoyed playing The Lost Crown (http://store.steampowered.com/app/291710/). It's a point & click adventure without survival elements, though. As you're not out for shooting undead things unundead, it might still be worth a look.
Voice acting is a little cheesy and puzzles could have been harder but as far as I remember - with maybe one exception - the puzzles are all logical and well designed, there's no pixel-hunting, using various devices to go ghost-hunting is fun and there's lots of content for a game like this. I found it to be actually creepy in some parts of the game but it's hard to generealize with horror, so YMMV. At least it's aiming more at psychological horror without relying much on jump scares, just like Silent Hill.
As far as I can tell the Steam version also removed the biggest gripes I had with the game playing it years ago, namely unskippable dialog and lack of fast-travel out of scenes combined with moving at slug's pace.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Any good survival horror games on steam? In the style of Silent Hill?

I enjoyed playing The Lost Crown (http://store.steampowered.com/app/291710/). It's a point & click adventure without survival elements, though. As you're not out for shooting undead things unundead, it might still be worth a look.
Voice acting is a little cheesy and puzzles could have been harder but as far as I remember - with maybe one exception - the puzzles are all logical and well designed, there's no pixel-hunting, using various devices to go ghost-hunting is fun and there's lots of content for a game like this. I found it to be actually creepy in some parts of the game but it's hard to generealize with horror, so YMMV. At least it's aiming more at psychological horror without relying much on jump scares, just like Silent Hill.
As far as I can tell the Steam version also removed the biggest gripes I had with the game playing it years ago, namely unskippable dialog and lack of fast-travel out of scenes combined with moving at slug's pace.

Sounds great, good horror adventures are fine too. I played the Dark Fall series and it was quite cool. Also Black Mirror trilogy, very recommendable. Thanks for the advice :)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
because mobile phone camera instead of camera camera or is it also good? I liked fatal frame a whole lot and dread out is drit cheap now.

Well the mobile phone acts virtually the same like camera obscura from fatal frame, so it is as good as cheap knockoff as it can get. TBH the game is less scary overall if only because the ghosts are based on folklore instead of Japanese batshit scary ghosts. Puzzle are also much simpler than fatal frame.

If you think and play it as a cheap fatal frame knockoff, and if you pay it cheap enough, it should give you a decent ammount of entertainment.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Might as well reveal my purchases (so far):

I'm hunting titles by two definitions:

# That they're Steam exclusive (if I can get them elsewhere, I will).
# That they actually interest me (for which I've been using the Steam Discovery Queue).

What I've found:

# Bit Blaster XL: A very simple retro shoot 'em-up in the vein of Asteroids. Fly around the screen, shoot stuff, don't get shot. Unlock ships, grab better gear, repeat. For only half a buck during this sale, you can't really go wrong with this one.
# Dungeon of Zolthan: Another cheap game, this is a retro-esque platformer with wireframe graphics and somewhat retro challenges. I beat the game on my first playthrough in roughly 30 minutes, so if you have a buck to spare and fancy some platformin', this might be worth your time.
# ShellShock Live: Pitched to me as a "modern-day Scorched Earth," which piqued my interest because I haven't played anything of that caliber since Scorched Earth itself. Sadly it lives up to that claim, but does so in the worst conceivable way possible. To get access to the multitude of various weapons, you need to grind XP. On and on and fucking on. And once you get the weapons you need to level them up as well. And the servers have shorter lifespans than emo lemmings. That said, a group of friends shouldn't have trouble forking over 5$ each for some quality deathmatches.
# Subnautica: An Early Access "Minecraft meets Waterworld"-game. The good stuff? The game looks beautiful on maximum settings. The bad stuff? The game's running on Unity and is currently an unoptimized piece of junk, so good luck getting those maximum settings. "Caveat Emptor" is my current verdict.
# Reveal the Deep: Currenly the Winner of "Best Purchase From the 2016 Steam Sale" for me, this short little 50 cent game is a 2D pixelated platformer where you're a guy in a old-school diving suit (that doesn't seem to require an oxygen source) exploring a shipwreck that went down in 1901. This game has A LOT in common with many Thief Fan Missions that have been made over the years, especially in terms of writing, pacing and atmosphere - but where Thief is a first-person 3D game, this is a 2D game. It makes excellent use of lighting and sound and is sure to creep out some players. Its only downside is that it requires (32-bit) Java. Taffers in particular might wanna give this one a look.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Evil within?

It's a hybrid of Silent Hills mindfuckery and Resident Evil shoot-zombies-in-the-eye.

How's the PC port now? I remember at release it was awful with black bars and low FOV and the like.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Evil within?

It's a hybrid of Silent Hills mindfuckery and Resident Evil shoot-zombies-in-the-eye.

How's the PC port now? I remember at release it was awful with black bars and low FOV and the like.

You can remove the black bars. Option inside the game. Fov is pretty close I guess. Feels a bit claustrophobic at times. I have a feeling it was meant to feel like that though. I locked my game to 30 fps (old card) with most stuff on high. The game recommends a card with high vram though, so there is a risk of stuttering when stuff is loading in.

Is Rebel Galaxy worth spending 10 eurobucks? Could it be enjoyable for someone who likes space combat games (not space trading/boredom sim etc.) type games?
Not in my experience, no. The 2 axis limitation felt really lame to me and, at the end of the day, the majority of playtime is doing rote basic econ stuff. The soundtrack is great and the game looks good, but it's really too simplistic mechanically and feels very constraining.

Raiden IV: OverKill
Hotline Miami 2
Valkyria Chronicles™
Lords of Xulima
Transistor
Chaos Reborn
Ziggurat
The Talos Principle
TRANSFORMERS: Devastation
Endless Legend™ - Guardians
The Talos Principle - Road To Gehenna DLC
Endless Legend - Shadows
Invisible, Inc. Contingency Plan
Thea: The Awakening
Alien: Isolation Collection
Dungeon of the Endless™ - Rescue Team Add-on
Endless Legend - Echoes of Auriga
Endless Legend™ - The Lost Tales
TRANSFORMERS: Devastation DLC Bundle
Endless Legend - Shifters

Spent around $60. Sale was shit though, I mostly treated myself to some stuff I had removed from inventory. Thought about getting D44M but that would have been 85% of what I spent with some great games, so no.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've heard that War for the Overworld was pretty mediocre / slightly bad, but reading the Steam reviews as of now it seems to have a positive score from recent times. Have they fixed the game or what? Thinking of picking it up since it's on sale.

War for the Overworld is a very competent DK clone; its problems are mostly related to the Unity engine. Too many units onscreen cause problems. But other than those technical issues (and the game is playable even with those), it's pretty good.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've heard that War for the Overworld was pretty mediocre / slightly bad, but reading the Steam reviews as of now it seems to have a positive score from recent times. Have they fixed the game or what? Thinking of picking it up since it's on sale.
It was pretty unfinished on release but now several updates later and with the first DLC out it's pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom