Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Deleted member 7219

I bought Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Just requested a refund. Could be the most boring thing I've ever played (and I liked Dear Esther).

Alchemist

Arcane
Invis Inc - Got that early access for $8 a long time ago. Neo Scavenger was in some bundle. Hotline Miami $1 from an Amazon promotion years ago. Civ... 4?!? Frayed Knights is awful. Broken Land was in some Groupies Bundle. I mean, those are okay games but most are fairly old and/or have been bundled to death.
Come on, Metro, "I got it from a bundle two years ago" is not really an argument and arguing quality is subjective as fuck.
It's a pretty good argument when people are listing games that have been steeply discounted for years now.
The thing is, even if something was in some bundle years ago, it's not now. Are you saying you should never buy or play it because one time it was cheaper?
And throwing a couple extra bucks to good indie devs is worthwhile, I feel. The race to the bottom / buying only bundles mentality doesn't seem conducive to getting quality games made.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alchemist Getting games as quickly and cheaply as possible is just a big game for Metro. It's kind of like the leet warez culture of the 1990s BBS scene, where if the game wasn't released "0-3 dayz" ago, it was worthless and why are you losers even talking about it. In its modern incarnation, that translates to "lol I got that game in a bundle back in 2015, shit sale".

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Bought One Finger Death Punch for 2,5 euros and after playing it for an hour I have to say it's fucking awesome,get it

:5/5:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Invis Inc - Got that early access for $8 a long time ago. Neo Scavenger was in some bundle. Hotline Miami $1 from an Amazon promotion years ago. Civ... 4?!? Frayed Knights is awful. Broken Land was in some Groupies Bundle. I mean, those are okay games but most are fairly old and/or have been bundled to death.
Come on, Metro, "I got it from a bundle two years ago" is not really an argument and arguing quality is subjective as fuck.
It's a pretty good argument when people are listing games that have been steeply discounted for years now.
The thing is, even if something was in some bundle years ago, it's not now. Are you saying you should never buy or play it because one time it was cheaper?
And throwing a couple extra bucks to good indie devs is worthwhile, I feel. The race to the bottom / buying only bundles mentality doesn't seem conducive to getting quality games made.
You could also argue the fact that the Gothic Universe bundle is $4 makes it a great sale... but it's been that price for the last five or so years. As far as supporting indie devs, that's a separate argument. I'm talking about the prices. That most people here seem to ignore bundles and then pay inflated prices during Steam sales (notably Infinitron ) is also a separate issue.

Compared to to the average Steam sale of four or five years ago, this sale is terrible.

Alchemist Getting games as quickly and cheaply as possible is just a big game for Metro. It's kind of like the leet warez culture of the 1990s BBS scene, where if the game wasn't released "0-3 dayz" ago, it was worthless and why are you losers even talking about it. In its modern incarnation, that translates to "lol I got that game in a bundle back in 2013, shit sale".

Not at all, it's merely stating the obvious. Not sure how people can proclaim the sale to be good when the discounts are no better (and in some cases worse) than previous prices. Whether you want to pay $20 for something that was $10 before doesn't really bother me but let's be honest about it. Nothing wrong about enjoying older games but it's not evidence that this sale is anything but sub par to awful.

Mustawd

But you're basically paying for the convenience factor. Consider a few things:

Fact 1 - I know there will be a summer sale. I know there will be a winter sale.
Fact 2 - I know when these sales will be happening.
Fact 3 - I do not know when some of these games will be in a bundle.

It's the equivalent of buying stuff on sale at a department store versus spending time to find it for 99 cents at a Marshall's where you have to find it in the discount bin or whatever. It's just not worth the effort if I have the Tubman's.

Now, if you can point me to a bundle sale right now or in the near future where I know the games i want will be there, then I'm all ears.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The analogy somewhat falls apart when you're talking about the internet age and most of the bundles and other deals are regularly posted on the Codex GG threads. Everyone posting here is a regular who probably reads these threads at least two or three times a week. Fair point that you don't know when a better deal will come along it just depends on if you want something now or you have other stuff to play, etc. But again, this doesn't back up an argument that the sale is good. It's just... there and convenient. Which is the direction Gabe has taken Steam -- it's more in line with traditional department store sales of 30% off across the board and since you know millions of people will be paying attention there is little reason to slash prices further.

I mean... Grim Dawn is only 25% off now whereas it was 50% off over a year ago. What's up with that?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In Grim Dawn's case, that's probably because the game went out of Early Access and its "sales cycle" has now reset.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In Grim Dawn's case, that's probably because the game went out of Early Access and its "sales cycle" has now reset.
I suppose that's possible but most games I see just keep getting lower even through EA and release. Darkest Dungeon (lol) is one example. Anyway, people seem to be confusing my point. Objectively you really can't argue the sale isn't getting worse. That doesn't mean I think you buy shit games or you should pay more attention to bundles or whatever, but the facts are pretty clear and Steam has moved towards the mass appeal/convenience price points.

Edit: Grim Dawn dev actually confirmed that is the case on the forum. Well, fuck him with a rake. 75% off or bust.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Yes, I agree there is an argument for not buying games that are just 25% off when you know they probably should be higher discounts. But that's up to the individual consumers.

Again, going back to the indie argument, it's probably a good thing that prices are up a bit more. Shovelware indie devs will still discount their crap to $1, but legit ones like Iron Tower or Styg can keep prices relatively high for longer periods.

mastroego

Arcane
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (-80%)

Blade of Destiny or the Blade of Destiny?
I have both now but I've been meaning to try the new one ust for shit and giggles, and while it still reeks of shovelware it has received dozens of patches, so I guess it might not be that terrible...
I know it's a remake that came out with a lot of problems which got eventually fixed.
I'm trusting what another Codexian said, which honestly I can do for that price.

Actually, Codexians deserve even more trust, so I'm blindly buying SOMA too, which I didn't even know before this thread (the "overwhelmingly positive" reviews tag helps).
So, 3 games so far, about 29€.
Need to figure out how to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider, then I guess I'm set.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This Steam sale sucks. Prices aren't even that low. I'm surprised how expensive indie turnbased games are. Dead State, Age of Decadence, and Wasteland: 2, for example, aren't worth regular price. Anyways, nothing on sale that I want to buy.

---

Arcane
Actually, Codexians deserve even more trust, so I'm blindly buying SOMA too, which I didn't even know before this thread (the "overwhelmingly positive" reviews tag helps).
So, 3 games so far, about 29€.
I really liked SOMA, much more than Amnesia games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
State of Decay 'remake,' is 15% off. Fifteen percent. This is a game I bought a couple of years ago from Steam for 75% off. They announced a sequel coming early 2017. They put the first one up for... 15% off. Dark Souls 3 is 25% off and it released, what, three months ago?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
State of Decay 'remake,' is 15% off. Fifteen percent. This is a game I bought a couple of years ago from Steam for 75% off. They announced a sequel coming early 2017. They put the first one up for... 15% off. Dark Souls 3 is 25% off and it released, what, three months ago?
Hell even D44M, which came out last month and was on top sales the entire time, is 40% off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom