Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Didn't the new Tomb Raider bomb badly as well?
It made a lot of money, but it didn't reach up to Edios's overbloated budget/SE's expectations. They expected Tomb Raider to sell as much as Call of Duty or Fifa.

pippin

Didn't the new Tomb Raider bomb badly as well?
It made a lot of money, but it didn't reach up to Edios's overbloated budget/SE's expectations. They expected Tomb Raider to sell as much as Call of Duty or Fifa.

They expected the same for the 2013 game, but it went pretty much as it's going on right now for Rise Of... Squeenix knows this game is not going to be an instant success. Besides it's not the only Tomb Raider product they have on the market right now. I guess Squeenix is giving Eidos/the devs of their western ips some free space to work, and only really focus in their japanese ips like FF or Dragon Quest (which don't get as many discounts or appear on bundles as their western games do).

tormund

Arcane
I guess Squeenix is giving Eidos/the devs of their western ips some free space to work, and only really focus in their japanese ips like FF or Dragon Quest (which don't get as many discounts or appear on bundles as their western games do).
I wonder what could be their reason for this. Those jRPGs of theirs sold decently on Steam, enough for SE to keep porting more of them, but they weren't anywhere close to being big successes, right? But they rarely go beyond 40-50% cuts.

pippin

I guess Squeenix is giving Eidos/the devs of their western ips some free space to work, and only really focus in their japanese ips like FF or Dragon Quest (which don't get as many discounts or appear on bundles as their western games do).
I wonder what could be their reason for this. Those jRPGs of theirs sold decently on Steam, enough for SE to keep porting more of them, but they weren't anywhere close to being big successes, right? But they rarely go beyond 40-50% cuts.

I'm quite sure the Squeenix that manages western games is not the same than the one porting old japanese games into Steam, that'd be the japanese/asian division. Judging their sales history, I'm willing to bet western squeenix is way more librul when it comes to marketing and sales, while eastern squeenix tries to protect their products in a better manner. Besides, Final Fantasy arguably has more "pull" than Tomb Raider, Hitman or even Deus Ex, if you think about it.

Diablo169

Arcane
48 hours.

Given the increased visibility of the game because of the discount, are you expecting a decent amount of sales over the weekend? Do discounted sales also still count towards your overall sales target of 45,000?

Mildly curious is all, and hoping for some success for you and your team.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
WHOA - first significant Age of Decadence Steam sale ever: http://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/ (40% off)

Vault Dweller Tell us more.

5 months and already in the bargain bin....chortle....another 3 months and it's in an IndieGala or Groupees bundle.

I'm being ironic of course as isn't that what the esteemed gentlemen say of every mainstream discount? I'm glad of the discount as have enough trading card credit to get it for free. Thanks VD! :salute:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
48 hours.

Given the increased visibility of the game because of the discount, are you expecting a decent amount of sales over the weekend?
Would be nice but at this point it's more about gaining experience (seeing what works and what doesn't) than selling copies.

Do discounted sales also still count towards your overall sales target of 45,000?
Yes. Discounts were always planned so it's not something unexpected.

Mildly curious is all, and hoping for some success for you and your team.
Thanks.

mastroego

Arcane
Squeenix will probably go the way of THQ fairly soon. Just Cause 3 seems to have flopped badly. Hitman is reduced to episodic releases. Deus Ex and Tomb Raider are their only reliable franchises. I guess Final Fantasy on consoles?
It looked like that few years ago, but they seem to have recovered and are doing p well right now. New Deus Ex and FF are bound to sell tons even in the highly unlikely case that they receive lukewarm or worse critical reception...
Perhaps. Did the latest Tomb Raider game get a good reception? For some reason I think people were underwhelmed by it.

I bought the 2013 Reboot during the sale. For 13 $.
It's honestly a very finely crafted and surprisingly inventive product, if a bit flawed (too easy, too much consolitis, and so on).
I genuinely enjoyed it, and I will surely get the sequel as soon as the price becomes reasonable.
I suppose many are just thinking similarly: that is, better to wait than to spend $60 now.

Anyway, I think they need to keep Lara Croft relevant.
There are also movies planned, after all.

Mozg

Arcane
Is Dragon's Dogma any good?

I ended up liking it a lot. The game has extremely tall highpoints. Unfortunately it's pretty fucked up in a lot of ways and you have to excavate the diamonds in the rough. I could almost write a little handbook of how you should play the game to stay away from the shitty parts but I don't care enough anymore. Plus a subset of people disagreed with me about what specifically was fucked in the game in the DD thread so maybe you're more like them.

The interface is also very consoley, slow, and dumb (e.g. there is only one save slot), but as far as performance the port is really good.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I didn't have a lot of fun on the first 5-6 hours, on the way to that big city. Maybe it was because I decided to take a detour from following the main story and the game didn't like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom