Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It will be at 20 bucks by the summer. Bit burned out on Farcry, played it for and hour and cant force myself to come back. It does look cool tho and the ugugugu language sound awesome.

pippin

This is the state of video game marketing these days. Prepare for a near future when AAA games are released at 60 bucks, just to be dropped to 40 bucks after one month and down to 20 after two, with the mandatory -40% on its first sale.
Squeenix kinda does that right now.

pippin

Consumer wins, right..

They do, but only because publishers are fighting between them for the next purchase. I mean, I take most codexers don't buy games fully priced now, and when they do, it's when they buy something they know they'll like, and/or it was made by studios which they feel like supporting with every single coin they pay. Games can be very shitty these days, but from an economic point of view, this is the best time to be a pc gamer, because most new games get cheap quickly and old games cost peanuts, or they are available for free, as it is in the case of abandonware and emulators.

Riskbreaker

They've been doing that since 2011. At this point, they are at the very top of the list of publishers whose games face fastest price drops (at least as far as Eidos side goes) and are most often on steep discounts.

pippin

They've been doing that since 2011. At this point, they are at the very top of the list of publishers whose games face fastest price drops (at least as far as Eidos side goes) and are most often on steep discounts.

That's what I was saying. Soon it will be the only business model for every company.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Brazilian Portuguese only game, huh: http://store.steampowered.com/app/389170/

You might have noticed that the store page says that the only language in which this game is available is Brazilian Portuguese. Unfortunately, you read that right. No, this is not a database error, it is the naked truth. There is no English version currently available.

We do want to release an English version eventually, but right now, we can't. It would take a great amount of time and money to make it happen, because the whole game is dynamically sung-through like a musical, and we'd need native singers and lyricists with a good sense of comedic timing and all that jazz.

Therefore, we chose to make the Portuguese version available ASAP for the thousands of Brazilians that supported our local crowdfunding campaign and/or pre-ordered the game at Nuuvem (http://www.nuuvem.com.br/).

We are currently speaking to Valve and we plan to put a region lock on this game so that people who don't speak Portuguese won't buy this game by accident.

We are deeply sorry for all the confusion this might have caused, and we hope we'll be able to give this game the top-notch English localization we believe it deserves.

Turjan

Arcane
Seems to me like they don't like money.
Not sure about this. This doesn't look as if it could become a huge seller. To pay some English-speaking lyricists and a musical troop for this game sounds prohibitively expensive to me.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That game is mostly just a cash-in on a popular BR youtube video, where the guy sang what the character was going through:

It's a simple, linear platformer (mostly inspired by Wonder Boy in Monster World - a massive hit here), with a looping theme. As you progress, silly lyrics describing your actions kick in.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Squeenix will probably go the way of THQ fairly soon. Just Cause 3 seems to have flopped badly. Hitman is reduced to episodic releases. Deus Ex and Tomb Raider are their only reliable franchises. I guess Final Fantasy on consoles?

tormund

Arcane
Squeenix will probably go the way of THQ fairly soon. Just Cause 3 seems to have flopped badly. Hitman is reduced to episodic releases. Deus Ex and Tomb Raider are their only reliable franchises. I guess Final Fantasy on consoles?
It looked like that few years ago, but they seem to have recovered and are doing p well right now. New Deus Ex and FF are bound to sell tons even in the highly unlikely case that they receive lukewarm or worse critical reception...

pippin

From outside it seems they are kinda fucked up, but I'd say they finally learned how to properly sell games to the pc crowd. As I said, the way they do things seems to be the only viable solution.

Beowulf

Arcane
It looked like that few years ago, but they seem to have recovered and are doing p well right now. New Deus Ex and FF are bound to sell tons even in the highly unlikely case that they receive lukewarm or worse critical reception...

Paid reviews in major gaming mags are never short of praise.

10/10 RPG FPS hybrid GOTY.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Perhaps. Did the latest Tomb Raider game get a good reception? For some reason I think people were underwhelmed by it.

pippin

Perhaps. Did the latest Tomb Raider game get a good reception? For some reason I think people were underwhelmed by it.

It was basically the same thing than the previous one, but Squeenix didn't left the game to die and is still doing the occasional marketing work these days. I guess they think of it as some kind of sleeper hit in terms of sales, since the 2013 game was one.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Didn't the new Tomb Raider bomb badly as well?

Martius

Liturgist
Even if they did they still got some money from Microsoft and still it was by the numbers sequel so probably was cheaper to produce than last one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What is there to tell? If you want to maintain a steady stream of sales you have to lower your price/offer higher discounts over time. Especially for a somewhat niche game (in the sense it's not appealing to the AAA crowd).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom