Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

sullynathan

Arcane
Might be the most pathetic thing I've done. I really traded pics of my feet for games on steam.:negative:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
They must be gorgeous, post some for us please.
21254.jpg

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Combining this sale and the the previous Fall sale, I have acquired the following games so far:
  • The Talos Principle + Road to Gehenna
  • Broforce
  • Super Hexagon
  • KOTOR 2
  • Assetto Corsa Dream Pack 3
  • Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
  • Rogue Legacy
  • Dishonored GOTY
  • Hotline Miami 2
  • Infested Planet - Trickester's Arsenal
Total: ~R$100,00 or US$26, discounting all the monies I've made in the past week selling trading cards at the market place, ~R$18,00 :smug:

And for the first time in like, ever, I've paid for all the games I have in my disposal.

Except NWN of course, since it's a Bioware game and all and A Dance with Rogues is what that game is all about.
Super Hexagon is rad. I've wasted so much time trying to master the lastest level.

sullynathan

Arcane
They must be gorgeous, post some for us please.
Gonna give me free games? :smug:
Well you want some free games? That's an even weirder thing to ask than pictures of your feet, but if you insist...

Here are some for you:
Team fortress 2 = http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/
Warframe = http://store.steampowered.com/app/230410/
Path of Exile = http://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/
Magicka: Wizard Wars = http://store.steampowered.com/app/202090/

Press the green button "Play game" to accept all these gifts. Now please, your toes, our monitors. They have a meeting.
I got 60 games for the price of pics of my feet. You can do better than that

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
And you can do better, too. We only have your word for how good your feet pics are, show us a teaser nig.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bought Elite: Dangerous, Ziggurat, Blood (yeessss!), Jedi Knight pack and Hitman: Blood Money. Still don't have time to play. I wonder if Elite is any good? If not, I'll take pitchforks and go for zombies.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got Quest for Infamy (I'm horrible at adventure games, but I couldn't resist those backgrounds at that price) and Metal Slug collection.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I manged to re-bork and reset setting with my payments issues. Got:

-nuXCOM Enemy Within (because Long War 1.0 was released this week) I got EU from GMG but system died before I grabbed EW.
-X-Com pack (for OpenXCom, XPirateZ and upcoming OpenTFTD and OpenApocalypse)
-Collapse
-Sacred 2 Gold (20GB... sweet geezus my old machine can handle it but that space requirement is bonerkiller)
-Hard to be a God
-DoW Soulstorm because METAL BAWKSESSS and some mods need it (Eternal Confrontation, Ultimate Apocalypse/The Hunt Begin = Titans!)

I could buy more garbage but I want to save something for Grim Dawn, thanks to the PLN=>€€ terrible course everything above €5 is a bit stepping for my wallet.
I was surprised to find that Torchlight1 discount is gone, I though that I have time to 4th January?
Was thinking about getting Risen 3+DLCs for the completion sake but I can't stand TPP games recently (same with Dork Suls titles).

Still big gratitude to KodexKommieKomrade for Planet Alcatraz 2 :salute: I found the way to extract the files from .PAK data files and translate them. There was guy on 1C forum who bailed out in 2009 (translated only main menu) and his way to do it did not work for me. When I'm done with Fallout Nevada I will do it myself.

EDIT
Oh, and I wanted to sell garbage from my inventory for spare coins, that I could use to buy games even cheaper, but I got one fucking error (not enough funds) and redirected back, which immidietly blocked my ability to sell cards and else.
Thanks Gaben.

Last edited:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well I got Satellite Reign and Eversion (I pity all fools that do not collect all gems, after that you'll get an awesome level that is at least as interesting as the first seven)

Thinking of still picking up KOTOR2 or Broforce or Hard West.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Only things I got is Y''s VI (action rpg) and The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (old school JRPG) both games from Falcom. Nothing much else interest me for this year's sale.

Venser

Erudite
Got almost every Tomb Raider and some other shit in Humble Bundle then bought Turbo Pug, They Breathe, Bioshock and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs on Steam. I had all Penumbra and Amnesia games and this one was the only one I was missing. I'm just pissed I missed the Duke sale on gog.

Elthosian

Arcane
So far got:

-Talos Principle
-Rise of Nations Extended Edition
-Spelunky
-Dont Starve Shipwrecked
-Risk of Rain
-Besiege

All 6 for free thanks to the power of Steam Idle Master, and also:

-Broforce
-Sine Mora
-Blackguards DLC
-Red Faction Collection
-Dishonored GOTY Edition
-Worms Armaggedon

For around 15 USD making use of our neighbouring Brazil's always reliable Nuuvem.

I was also going to get Cities Skylines After Dark at Nuuvem but forgot about it and missed the chance to get it for around 4 jewgolds, so right now I am trying to farm enough cards to buy Talos Principle Road To Gehenna, XCOM Enemy Within and Clandestine, although I am afraid I won't be able to sell enough cards for the last one in time so I will probably end up dishing 11~12 real dollars to get the game.

sullynathan

Arcane
Help me, Obi-wan.

Which ONE game should I get from this selection of Steam specials:

GTA V
Pillars of Eternity (probably better just to replay BG/IWD, right?)
The Witcher 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Farming Simulator 15 Gold Edition (yeah, fuck off)
Wasteland 2 (turns out I already have this)
gta v, it's the good one

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Okay everyone, tell me what to buy. I've got Steam cards from Christmas and I need to spend them before the sale ends. If it's a good game that's more than ten years old don't bother suggesting it unless it's really obscure, as I probably already own it.

Games I'm considering:

Fallout: New Vegas. Never played much of it. I was turned off of the franchise after FO3 but I've heard good things about NV so I'm tempted to give it a spin.

Skyrim: Don't much care for the game but if it's anything like previous Elder Scrolls then at 75% off the mods should be able to justify the price of entry. Though I kinda dislike saying to Beth "Hi, your game sucks but I'm going to give you money anyway because other people fixed it for you for free" but whatever. I'm looking to kill some time not write a manifesto.

Dominions 4: Played Dominions 2 ages ago, loved it. New one looks pretty good. The only thing holding me back is that I'm playing a crapload of other games in a similar vein right now, and while fare like AoW 3 and Vicky 2 aren't really all that much like Dominions 4, they're in a similar enough ballpark that I'm not sure that I'd have the time to invest that the game deserves.

Endless Legends: See above.

Mass Effect: Never paid any attention to this series as it's from the point in time where I became pretty disenfranchised with Bioware, but if someone can convince me that one or more of the instalments are good I'll give it a spin.

Paradox Expansions: Need to get Horse Lords, Cossacks, and After Dark. Being pretty new they all have fairly pitiful discounts, but whatever.

Star Wars: Empire at War: I remember enjoying this game a few years back but I only had the opportunity to sink a few hours into it so I'm not sure if it's something that's worth picking up

Serpent in the Staglands: I'm reluctant to get this one because the graphics give me a headache. I don't mean that in a "Hurr durr graphics suck I don't want to play it" kind of way, I mean that there's something about that sort of art style that makes me physically feel a bit off. Kind of like how some styles of FP games give me motion sickness, except it's obviously not motion sickness. It's actually rather frustrating because I've missed out on more than one good game because of it. But if people can convince me that the game is really, really, good, I may try to power through it anyway.

As my list seems to indicate, I have a strong preference for RPG and TBS games but I'm open to other genres if there are particularly good examples of it.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Help me, Obi-wan.

GTA V
The Witcher 3
Valkyria Chronicles

I'm tempted to say Pillars? I don't know. I've heard good thinks about Valkyria but haven't played it myself. As for the others, I'd take PoE over them. It gets a bad rap, and that's not entirely unjustified, but I'd still say it's a 7.5 or 8/10. Even if you only play it once, I'd say it's still worth the price of entry moreso than other games on that list (though that's partially because it's a fair bit cheaper than them).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I wouldn't bother playing PoE until they release part 2 of the expansion.

Help me, Obi-wan.

GTA V
The Witcher 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Twitcher 3 would be my pick.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes
No
Dunno
Dunno
First one is a good Bioware RPG, so long as you go in to it willing to tolerate the early 2000's Bioware forumla. I hear the PC port isn't particularly good, though.
Lol DLC
Yeah, it's a good RTS
Dunno

Cheers. Might give New Vegas a go.

I wouldn't bother playing PoE until they release part 2 of the expansion.

Yeah, that's fair.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Help me, Obi-wan.

GTA V
The Witcher 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Witcher 3 for real-time, or Valkyria for turn-based

GrainWetski

Arcane
Help me, Obi-wan.

GTA V
The Witcher 3
Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria Chronicles is the best bang for your buck.

GTA V is just GTA.

Don't bother with Witcher 3 yet if you care about combat at all. I'd wait till it's down to 10-15 bucks(maybe even wait for the GOTY/definitive/whateverthefuckthey'llcallit edition with DLCs included just in case you have terrible taste) and then only play until you've done the Baron quest.

Same with PoE. Wait till it's even cheaper and includes the DLC.

I'd go with one of GTA or Valkyria Chronicles.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Help me, Obi-wan.

GTA V
The Witcher 3
Valkyria Chronicles

GTA V will be worth your while, unlike the rest of the games you listed. It is also a proper PC game regarding graphical quality, user interface and controls. Besides, it is a good game all around.

Pillars is your typical Obshitian piece of shit. Overhyped to hell around here but ultimately a failure, just like every other game other than KotOR 2 (after restored content mod). Avoid.

The Witcher 3 is another pile of crap. Enjoy your clickfest QTE combat system and color saturation + 200%, typical in Witcher games. It doesn't hold a candle to GTA V, for example, in terms of graphical quality. And everything else, in fact.

Valkyria Chronicles: No idea.

GTA V is your game.

Okay everyone, tell me what to buy. I've got Steam cards from Christmas and I need to spend them before the sale ends. If it's a good game that's more than ten years old don't bother suggesting it unless it's really obscure, as I probably already own it.

Games I'm considering:

Fallout: New Vegas. Never played much of it. I was turned off of the franchise after FO3 but I've heard good things about NV so I'm tempted to give it a spin.

Skyrim: Don't much care for the game but if it's anything like previous Elder Scrolls then at 75% off the mods should be able to justify the price of entry. Though I kinda dislike saying to Beth "Hi, your game sucks but I'm going to give you money anyway because other people fixed it for you for free" but whatever. I'm looking to kill some time not write a manifesto.

Dominions 4: Played Dominions 2 ages ago, loved it. New one looks pretty good. The only thing holding me back is that I'm playing a crapload of other games in a similar vein right now, and while fare like AoW 3 and Vicky 2 aren't really all that much like Dominions 4, they're in a similar enough ballpark that I'm not sure that I'd have the time to invest that the game deserves.

Endless Legends: See above.

Mass Effect: Never paid any attention to this series as it's from the point in time where I became pretty disenfranchised with Bioware, but if someone can convince me that one or more of the instalments are good I'll give it a spin.

Paradox Expansions: Need to get Horse Lords, Cossacks, and After Dark. Being pretty new they all have fairly pitiful discounts, but whatever.

Star Wars: Empire at War: I remember enjoying this game a few years back but I only had the opportunity to sink a few hours into it so I'm not sure if it's something that's worth picking up

Serpent in the Staglands: I'm reluctant to get this one because the graphics give me a headache. I don't mean that in a "Hurr durr graphics suck I don't want to play it" kind of way, I mean that there's something about that sort of art style that makes me physically feel a bit off. Kind of like how some styles of FP games give me motion sickness, except it's obviously not motion sickness. It's actually rather frustrating because I've missed out on more than one good game because of it. But if people can convince me that the game is really, really, good, I may try to power through it anyway.

As my list seems to indicate, I have a strong preference for RPG and TBS games but I'm open to other genres if there are particularly good examples of it.

FO:NV - prepare for Obshitian quality levels. A bug ridden piece of shit running on top of gamebryo. Imagine combining Obshitian levels of quality control on top of a Bethesda game engine, and that is NV.

Skyrim - no mod is ever gonna the terribad game underneath this pile of crap. You might be able to turn combat and mechanics into something a little more interesting, but the base game is still shit with cringe worthy dialogs, voice acting and fetch quests. Try not to trip over some draughr if you pick this up.

Dominions 4 - No idea.

Endless Legends - No idea.

Mass Effect - pointless to get it over steam as it doesn't come with the DLC and never will. It is also only worth it to get the 3 games + all DLC as well to get the complete "experience", but then it is not on steam. Either get it through Origins (ugh) or sail the deep seas.

Paradox Expansions - No idea, never really got into Paradox games.

Star Wars: Empire at War - good RTS. Played it a lot way back then and I also considered getting it this sale, but I'm already sinking enough hours on StarCraft II, so no point in having another RTS.

Serpent in the Staglands - no idea

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom