Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Yes I did play (and finish) gothic II ages ago, never tried the first one but I know it's good too, no problems with gitgudding in general.
Oh well, Risen I costs as much as an orange juice, I suppose I can risk it...

Thx for the opinions!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No risk at all. First Risen is a good game, well worth $2. Avoid the others.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm actually interested... Are they independent or should I start with the first one? If I can play either which one is the best? I know very little about the franchise...
You should play the series in this order:

1. Gothic
2. Gothic 2 + NotR
3. Risen
4. Risen 2
5. Risen 3
6. Gothic 3
7. Arcania :troll:

Reasons:
All games are storywise either unrelated or only somewhat related (ie. it's not really important) with the exception of Gothic 1 & 2

It all began with Gothic and it still is the best (except game mechanics, which are the best in NotR). Gothic 2 is a direct continuation of the story. Risen is a very similar game to Gothic and as close as modern gaming will get to it. All three are great games.

Risen 2 and 3 are fine games as well, just not much like Gothic anymore, you should still enjoy them nonetheless (except shit fucking minigames in R3 FUCK)

Gothic 3 is the worst and the least like Gothic (except Arcania), the worst combat, hugeass and totally empty world with a dozen NPCs with one liners making whole town etc, you might enjoy the hiking though.

Arcania because if you disliked any of the above, after Arcania you will praise other games to heavens.

Gothics and Risens put heavy emphasis on dialogues and writing, and exploration.

The setting, story and hence the writing are quite gloomy and sinister, albeit not too much and there are some jokes here and there in Gothic, Gothic 2 and NotR and Risen.

Risen 2 & 3 had dialogues written by someone else (Pratchett) and they are more like a 'comedy', lots of jokes, imo funny, but whether you'll like them or not will depend on your taste. It's not similar in any way to previous games.

Gothic 3 has pretty bad writing. Travel dozens of kilometers for a quest, arrive at necromance's tower, talk to him and he says "hello. dark times ahead. go fetch me some bones from cementery please" or some such.

Arcania is literraly the worst written game fucking ever.

Gothic 1-2 and Risens have fairly small worls filled with wonders and interesting places every few metres. All hand placed and the result is gorgeous. Many astonishing places that you will remember for a long time (this applies especially for Gothic 1&2).

Gothic 3 has a hugeass generated world as bland as SKyrim and after exploring hundreds of kilometres, visiting towns and capitals, you will remember nothing because all is bland and shit.

Arcania I don't even know.

pippin

It seems there is not a single positive review for this game right now, amazing.

Mustawd

With your help, the Humble Might & Magic Bundle raised over $350,000 for charity! As a token of their appreciation, Ubisoft would like to give you a key to theMight & Magic Heroes VII Beta.

Your key has been added to the download page of your original bundle purchase.

The beta begins on August 26, 2015 and runs until September 2, 2015.

If anyone is interested in getting the key, send me a PM. First come first serve.

Renegen

Arcane
Anyone know why Zombie Army Trilogy is a top seller literally out of nowhere? Never heard of it before.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is Blackguards any good? I somehow missed it. Both are on sale for 11 dorra, 80% off..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom