Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Ebonsword

Arcane
Is Lords of the Fallen worth $25?

How does it compare to Shadow of Mordor (which I liked quite a bite), for example?

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Completely different type of game. Shadow of Mordor is pretty much Assassin's Creed: Middle-Earth, while Lords of the Fallen is an attempt to imitate Demon's/Dark Souls from what I hear.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Basically, only above 50% off is a good deal during these kind of sales. And on the last day usually all daily/flash deals are back. Also, posting on 666.

I say price doesn't matter. Just buy what you know you will immediately play regardless of how much it costs. In my experience, I never play anything if I buy a bunch of really cheap stuff. I've been burned out on sales. I tend to prefer to just pay full price now. If I have the urge to wait for a sale, I probably don't want to play it that badly to begin with.

That's just me, though.

rado907

Savant
An HD version of Outcast is on sale for $5. Never played it back in the day, but it had all right reviews. The Steam reviews are also positive.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Picked up a small metroidvania platformer called "Super Win The Game" which is going for $4 during the sale.

It makes me think of old NES platformers like Faxanadu and Zelda, which serve both as the game's muse and homage. It has an overhead world map and then side-scrolling towns and dungeons. The plot is simple - the king of the land has been corrupted, and the six pieces of his heart need to be found to restore him and save the land.

There are no weapons involved at all, so it's all down to jumping, dodging monsters and exploring the levels - there are plenty of secrets and collectibles to be found. It's not a hard game by any stretch, but there are challenging sections that may make some players rage.

And here's the best part - if you want to try before you buy, the same developer has a free game on Steam called "You Have to Win The Game". It features the same game mechanics, but instead of the NES being the focus, it's the old Sinclair Spectrum platformers - you can play the game in CGA mode or EGA mode. YHTWTG is also noticably harder than SWTG - there are several sections that'll make you rage.

Amn Nom

Learned
Bought Grimrock 2 because of the good price. I really need to get on my pile of recent CRPGs. Have this, M&M X, Serpent in the Staglands, and Pillars of Eternity (unfinished, in Act 3) all waiting to be played.

Dexter

Arcane
speaking of coop, can anyone recommend me some couch-coop games i can play with a friend or two?
guess for that purpose i prefer light, fun games that are easy to pick up
Great site for sorting through and finding games, most complete database of CoOp games around: http://www.co-optimus.com/games.php

I'm usually looking for Multiplayer CoOp games, some fun ones there are stuff like Magicka, Castle Crashers, Terraria, Borderlands, Orcs Must Die! 2, Sonic All-Stars Racing.

Some cool Couch CoOp stuff: Rayman: Origins, Trine 1+2, LEGO Star Wars is also interesting. Maybe Guacamelee!

I played through System Shock 2 in Multiplayer btw. and it was alright, don't know what "fiendishly impossible to attain Multiplayer" is supposed to mean. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was also nice, but short.

Some other somewhat brainless games that can be okay in CoOp: Serious Sam 3, Dead Space 3, Resident Evil 5, Saint's Row 3, FEAR 3, The Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War games.

DramaticPopcorn

Is Lords of the Fallen worth $25?

How does it compare to Shadow of Mordor (which I liked quite a bite), for example?
As Lun-sama said, it's a completely different game. You can beat it in about 6 or so hours. (my first playthrough took about 20 hrs, my second - 2,5) There is some form of replayability as NG+ and NG++ but it doesn't bring anything significantly new to the table unlike in DS. Just increase in enemies' health and damage. The game also still has perfomance issues, don't buy unless you have 2 gb of VRAM or you will simply be unable to play.

All in all, kinda linear but with cool environments, eyecandy and good fucking feeling of charging into enemies garbed in steel and swinging 50 pound weapon around.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Absolutely shitty community deals. Why even bother to set up the Monsters game for this.
Because it's hilarious to watch peasants toiling at a shitty game to unlock opportunities for their betters to spend money, just for a 'badge' that does literally nothing.

Its a.psychological experiment by Valve.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
speaking of coop, can anyone recommend me some couch-coop games i can play with a friend or two?
guess for that purpose i prefer light, fun games that are easy to pick up
Great site for sorting through and finding games, most complete database of CoOp games around: http://www.co-optimus.com/games.php

I'm usually looking for Multiplayer CoOp games, some fun ones there are stuff like Magicka, Castle Crashers, Terraria, Borderlands, Orcs Must Die! 2, Sonic All-Stars Racing.

Some cool Couch CoOp stuff: Rayman: Origins, Trine 1+2, LEGO Star Wars is also interesting. Maybe Guacamelee!

I played through System Shock 2 in Multiplayer btw. and it was alright, don't know what "fiendishly impossible to attain Multiplayer" is supposed to mean. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was also nice, but short.

Some other somewhat brainless games that can be okay in CoOp: Serious Sam 3, Dead Space 3, Resident Evil 5, Saint's Row 3, FEAR 3, The Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War games.

Thanks for the tips - looking into these especially SS2.

Israfael

Arcane
I guess the Old Blood wasnt selling that well so that they slap -50% sticker on it just 2 months after release. 80% off TNO sounds very lucrative though, if i didnt have it already

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom