Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Telengard

Arcane
Who decides which games have "real potential", though? If something is hopeless then nobody buys it and the problem solves itself. Valve should still take care so actual frauds don't get into the store, but having people choosing what the public gets to choose sounds redundant.
Thats an interesting truth that you point out.

I dont have the answer.

One way is to hold developers accountable so they cannot just walk away like what happened with Towns, I think. Or have guidelines of some sort, some consumer protection in some cases. But you're right, and its complex.

Thing is, with the glut of mostly shit EA games and the rate of development and the overall quality that is being seen- Its too hard to distinguish and the good developers lose out not only on sales to them specifically but from people who just dont trust the EA program at all .

An example I could give is the whole H1Z1 thing. They want $25.00 to play the game EA. I read their spiel and its very hard to tell that in truth you are buying a game that will be Free To Play once its released and has a cash shop right now. Thats going to burn someone or alot of someones who will never buy an EA game again even though there are great titles. Games like 7 days might be one of the most enjoyable games ive ever played and if it stops development right now I have gotten quadruple my moneys worth and will be playing for along time to come. Day Z? After Millions and Millions of dollars and years later the game is still shit and not 1/100th of the free mod. Or the Zombie game that has changed its name now 3 times or whatever and is going back on Steam as another name (now with george romeros son endorsing it)

So IDK - But something needs to happen as its hurting games with potential.
Nothing needs to happen. Stupid people are separated from their money on a daily basis. It isn't some committees, retailers, governments job to protect morons from doing dumb things. As Clocky said, the Steam economy will take care of itself in the long wrong, via the consumers.
Consumer-style regulation does play both sides, though. It might regulate peacefully. Or, Steam could pull an Atari and keep pushing out more and more unregulated shit, and - like Atari before it - the market will regulate itself by erasing Steam out of existence, once people get tired of all the shit. Which happens fast, when it happens.

I doubt anyone at Steam is stupid enough to convince the rest to stop selling regular games and become an early access exclusive platform, or that the general public will be so annoyed by having to click an extra three times to go through the daily release list that they will give up on the service altogether. What is more likely to happen is that the early access model dies out due to general mistrust and Steam pretends it never happened.

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I doubt anyone at Steam is stupid enough to convince the rest to stop selling regular games and become an early access exclusive platform, or that the general public will be so annoyed by having to click an extra three times to go through the daily release list that they will give up on the service altogether. What is more likely to happen is that the early access model dies out due to general mistrust and Steam pretends it never happened.
This is what I think will probably happen. And it sucks because there are some fantastic titles that otherwise would never get made.

I remember some people were waiting for it, so Skyrim's DLC got decent individual discounts (60% for Dongguard and Dongborn, 50% for Harlotfire). Before only the full pack would be discounted, so people who had the base game were left out.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not that decent. $7 each for the DLC when the base game can be had for $5. Laughable.

Turjan

Arcane
I remember some people were waiting for it, so Skyrim's DLC got decent individual discounts (60% for Dongguard and Dongborn, 50% for Harlotfire). Before only the full pack would be discounted, so people who had the base game were left out.
There were often discounts for the DLC. The problem was that those discounted prices together were still more expensive than the discounted full pack that included the base game. Dawnguard even had a 75% discount in the first year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://twitter.com/3drealms/status/592765344294514688

CDns8J9WoAEl4oN.jpg:large

Bruticis

The 3D Realms Anthology announced last year is a pretty cool package. It includes just about everything 3D Realms had ever produced—32 games in all—in a single $40 package, along with a "re-rockestrated" soundtrack. And now it's all coming to Steam.

The news came by way of a tease on Twitter that included a photo of the anthology clearly on Steam, accompanied by the message, "We have some big news coming next week." It didn't remain a tease for very long, though, as 3D Realms Director Frederik Schreiber quickly confirmed the looming Steam release.

"We're really excited about finally bringing all the 3D Realms/Apogee games to Steam," he said. "This is probably the biggest bundle ever to be released on Steam, besides the Eidos Bundle (34 games in total), and the price is absolutely killer."

That price will be $40, he said, with a 25 percent discount at launch taking it down to $30. The Anthology on Steam will include a handful of games excluded from the original release, including Balls of Steel, Dark Ages, and Xenophage, as well as the updated soundtrack and full scans of all the original manuals. The only downside is that games in the bundle that aren't already available as stand-alone titles on Steam, won't be; so while Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior Classic, for example, can be purchased separately, Terminal Velocity and Paganitzu will not.

As with the original bundle, neither Max Payne nor Prey will be included with this one, since they're owned by Take Two and Bethesda respectively; however, Schreiber said that if 3D Realms is able to sell ten million copies of the Anthology, it will buy them back. "I promise!" he added.
:nocountryforshitposters:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom