Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I came across a promotion while on Steam, the game "fractured Space" is free to download and play this weekend only and if you play it you get to keep it for FREE. Free is good.

I know nothing about this game (except its a multiplayer space game) and it probably sucks since its free, but ya never know. I did find it lulzy that when I tried to play the game the server was down and if it stays down all weekend I guess nobody keeps the game =P

IDK, but if you're interested. Free game for everyone.

Brumaire

Educated
Based on the store page video at 0:33, they also ripped some of Postal 2's sound effects.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Steam has become a cesspool in many ways- Too many early access titles that are going nowhere and look like cash grabs that will forever remain unfinished.

The 2 EA games I think are awesome are '7 days to die' and 'Planet explorers ' and of those 2 I honestly feel only 7 days will ever really release (But PE is still fun and worth the $$ imho just really slow development)

Most of it is garbage and there is no accountability for the devs who never finish and no getting your money back .

Everytime I log into steam I am peppered with more EA game "deals" which sucks because its spreading our money around far too thinly when just having a few games with a real chance to be released would be better served if Steam had any standards.

Bruticis

Steam has become a cesspool in many ways- Too many early access titles that are going nowhere and look like cash grabs that will forever remain unfinished.

The 2 EA games I think are awesome are '7 days to die' and 'Planet explorers ' and of those 2 I honestly feel only 7 days will ever really release (But PE is still fun and worth the $$ imho just really slow development)

Most of it is garbage and there is no accountability for the devs who never finish and no getting your money back .

Everytime I log into steam I am peppered with more EA game "deals" which sucks because its spreading our money around far too thinly when just having a few games with a real chance to be released would be better served if Steam had any standards.
Fascinating. Have you considered not buying the shit?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Fascinating. Have you considered not buying the shit?
I dont. Like I said I only have bought 7 days and PE (both of which arent shit) and I didnt mention it but I have purchased Day Z as well (which is shit) . My point isnt what I am buying but rather the bullshit thats being offered that is muddying the waters for the games that have real potential.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only Early Access title I've bought is Broforce, because it was fun enough in an early alpha build. There are a few others that look promising, but because of the reasons mentioned by DarKPenguiN it's better to let them develop further than throw money at them and *hope*.

Who decides which games have "real potential", though? If something is hopeless then nobody buys it and the problem solves itself. Valve should still take care so actual frauds don't get into the store, but having people choosing what the public gets to choose sounds redundant.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Who decides which games have "real potential", though? If something is hopeless then nobody buys it and the problem solves itself. Valve should still take care so actual frauds don't get into the store, but having people choosing what the public gets to choose sounds redundant.
Thats an interesting truth that you point out.

I dont have the answer.

One way is to hold developers accountable so they cannot just walk away like what happened with Towns, I think. Or have guidelines of some sort, some consumer protection in some cases. But you're right, and its complex.

Thing is, with the glut of mostly shit EA games and the rate of development and the overall quality that is being seen- Its too hard to distinguish and the good developers lose out not only on sales to them specifically but from people who just dont trust the EA program at all .

An example I could give is the whole H1Z1 thing. They want $25.00 to play the game EA. I read their spiel and its very hard to tell that in truth you are buying a game that will be Free To Play once its released and has a cash shop right now. Thats going to burn someone or alot of someones who will never buy an EA game again even though there are great titles. Games like 7 days might be one of the most enjoyable games ive ever played and if it stops development right now I have gotten quadruple my moneys worth and will be playing for along time to come. Day Z? After Millions and Millions of dollars and years later the game is still shit and not 1/100th of the free mod. Or the Zombie game that has changed its name now 3 times or whatever and is going back on Steam as another name (now with george romeros son endorsing it)

So IDK - But something needs to happen as its hurting games with potential.

Bruticis

Thats an interesting truth that you point out.

I dont have the answer.

One way is to hold developers accountable so they cannot just walk away like what happened with Towns, I think. Or have guidelines of some sort, some consumer protection in some cases. But you're right, and its complex.

Thing is, with the glut of mostly shit EA games and the rate of development and the overall quality that is being seen- Its too hard to distinguish and the good developers lose out not only on sales to them specifically but from people who just dont trust the EA program at all .

An example I could give is the whole H1Z1 thing. They want $25.00 to play the game EA. I read their spiel and its very hard to tell that in truth you are buying a game that will be Free To Play once its released and has a cash shop right now. Thats going to burn someone or alot of someones who will never buy an EA game again even though there are great titles. Games like 7 days might be one of the most enjoyable games ive ever played and if it stops development right now I have gotten quadruple my moneys worth and will be playing for along time to come. Day Z? After Millions and Millions of dollars and years later the game is still shit and not 1/100th of the free mod. Or the Zombie game that has changed its name now 3 times or whatever and is going back on Steam as another name (now with george romeros son endorsing it)

So IDK - But something needs to happen as its hurting games with potential.
Nothing needs to happen. Stupid people are separated from their money on a daily basis. It isn't some committees, retailers, governments job to protect morons from doing dumb things. As Clocky said, the Steam economy will take care of itself in the long wrong, via the consumers.

Bruticis

:bro:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The invisible hand of the free market will solve all ills, as it always does.

Fa Fe Fi Fo Fum, I smell a commie with the face of a bum~
Your nose is Powerful
mrgw.001.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom