Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Telengard

Arcane
Yo i'm back to ask which tropico game(s) should i start the series with?
When I first played them, when they came out, I thought 3 was an improvement over the ones before, especially over the messed-up 2. But due to a recent bundle, I revisited all of them and checked them out close together, the streamlining was so stark in 3-5. But then, 3-5 are made by Haemimont, makers of such fine games as Imperium Romanum (the streamlined Caesar) and Omerta (the streamlined Gangsters: Organized Crime). So, revisited, I rate them in this order:

Tropico 1: has the best scenarios and the most challenge. (But has old graphics if that offends you)
Tropico 2 (from a different company than who made 1) retains the challenge of 1 but is otherwise a mess.
Tropico 4 Without DLC, rates over 3. Has some graphical improvements over 3, but also even more streamlining. The DLC scenarios actually have some challenge in them, instead of being baby's first city-builder, but each ones adds even more safety buildings, so the challenge is ripped away even as it is added back in. To the point where, even if you decide to be Godzilla and wreck your city, you still win the election. It's sad, really.
Tropico 3 (from another new company, other than who made 1 & 2). A lot of graphical improvements over 1 and 2. But so much streamlining has gone on behind the scenes of an already none-too-difficult game that it has become baby's first city-builder.
Tropico 5 is a direct copy of 4 with a few more bad streamlining decisions added in and some additional cutsey graphics.

In short, Haemimont is a streamliner developer, and everything it touches is generally streamlined into poo. (See Imperium Romanum, Omerta).

Telengard

Arcane
Yo i'm back to ask which tropico game(s) should i start the series with?.
Also, Bundle Stars runs Reboot Bundle 4.0 like endlessly, and (barring regional pricing screwing you over) you can get the bundle for the exact same price as Tropico Trilogy alone on Steam Sale.

The bundle includes:

Tropico Trilogy
Hard Reset
Combat Wings: Battle Over Britain
Inquisitor
Zeno Clash 2
The First Templar (also by Haemimont, yay)

uaciaut

Augur
Also, Bundle Stars runs Reboot Bundle 4.0 like endlessly, and (barring regional pricing screwing you over) you can get the bundle for the exact same price as Tropico Trilogy alone on Steam Sale.

I don't really know any of the other games but it's too cheap to pass up i guess, thanks for the advice.

Bit off topic but where do all these sites that sell steam keys pop up from? I've discovered Kinguin a while back and it's the first time i've heard of bundle stars, wonder how they operate.

Somewhat more on-topic - i got Civ 5 with Gods and Kings DLC and the mongols pack as part of some offer when i bought my PC, should i dump another 9 euro or so in the second DLC (brave new worlds) or should i give this a spin as-is first and try the DLC later (while possibly losing the low price offer)?
Bear in mind my experience with non-space 4x is p limited but i'm willing to give that genre a shot too especially since i've heard it's been a good year for it (age of wonders 3, endless legend).

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kinguin and g2a are mostly like eBay for Steam keys, user to user reselling. Mostly dominated by russians but that reign will end soon.
Bundlestars is like Humble Bundle, but they split money with publishers, no charity fluff.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Wish they had the first two Codename Panzers games instead of the shit one and Hidden and Dangerous series on Steam or GOG or wherever! One of the best RTS series out there(Bit like MOW though more closer to traditional RTS and the best WW2 FPS/TPS tactical game series, and not a fucking peep anywhere??
I still have H&D2 installed on my PC. I have the box, both original and expansion. Still the finest tactical shooter ive played. Works flawlessly without any issues. I miss the multiplayer though.

Telengard

Arcane
Somewhat more on-topic - i got Civ 5 with Gods and Kings DLC and the mongols pack as part of some offer when i bought my PC, should i dump another 9 euro or so in the second DLC (brave new worlds) or should i give this a spin as-is first and try the DLC later (while possibly losing the low price offer)?
Bear in mind my experience with non-space 4x is p limited but i'm willing to give that genre a shot too especially since i've heard it's been a good year for it (age of wonders 3, endless legend).
Civ V loses a lot of its oomph without the two core game DLC. However, Firaxis puts the whole shebang on deep discount like every other month, so there's no point in hurrying, really. Try it in your own time to make sure you like the ground 4x of Civ, then get the final core DLC if you do.

FYI: Civ V vanilla was basically stripped of complexity coming off Civ IV, and the two core DLC put much of the complexity back in (though coming at that complexity from a new direction). Most notably for the second one, adding trade lanes and a much-needed revamp of Culture Wins.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Except the potatoes actually have the benefit of sustaining you with calories.

Deleted member 7219

Dishonoured is great. The GOTY edition is worth it because the DLC is pretty good too (Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches).

Multi-headed Cow

Pain's worse than yesterday, fountaining diarrhea, shivering uncontrollably. Played enough Neo Scavenger to know this is the end. Gaben's bringing me home.

Alternatively I should try dragging my wheezing leaking carcass to a doctor, but I just don't know. If I die before Brut I call dibs on the first Gaben sainthood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom