Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Bahamut

Arcane
Is MP dead yet? I see theres a crapton of MP DLC in complete edition and its like twice the price

Humppaleka

Cipher
I played a good few hours of it near release but I don't think it's very active now. The DLC at least are not worh it, although I liked the "last stand" mode or whatever.

DramaticPopcorn

jesus christ people it fucking sucks boring repetitive clickfest

SHIT

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
8f2db7769d.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, there's a digital edition of talisman? :O

Yes, although it has a Metascore of 51, so I need to find out if there's something wrong with it.

I don't really go by ratings normally, but 51 is incredibly low and there must be a reason for it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yes, although it has a Metascore of 51, so I need to find out if there's something wrong with it.

I don't really go by ratings normally, but 51 is incredibly low and there must be a reason for it.

Huh. One would think it would be a no-brain conversion, really

keep us notified

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The consensus seems to be that while it's a faithful conversion of the games, there are a few small niggles, but more importantly you don't get the experience of playing the game at the table, where the laughing about all the silliness that goes on takes place.

Usually when I play these sorts of games with friends online, I do it on Skype or some other VoIP. Close enough to pass muster, I'd say.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The consensus seems to be that while it's a faithful conversion of the games, there are a few small niggles, but more importantly you don't get the experience of playing the game at the table, where the laughing about all the silliness that goes on takes place.

Usually when I play these sorts of games with friends online, I do it on Skype or some other VoIP. Close enough to pass muster, I'd say.

Talisman has always suffered on multiple playhtroughs due to its simplicity if you ask me, so what I'm expecting is this to be good fun for 3-4 playthroughs per year or sommat.

Two, actually. :M

The one Blaine posted, and

http://store.steampowered.com/app/258200/

About the Game
Talisman Prologue is an adaptation of the classic fantasy board game Talisman by Games Workshop. This version focuses on single player experience.

An epic tale of dice rolling and card drawing takes you on a quest throughout the land to rescue Princesses, slay Dragons and recover lost artefacts. Play through over 50 quests using the Talisman board game rules, and learn the special abilities of all of the characters.

It's important to note that this is NOT a multiplayer game based on Talisman, this is a reworking of the rule-set to allow solo players to experience Talisman in a different way.

Features -
  • 10 Characters
  • 50 Quests
  • Endless Re-playability
  • Includes 6 bonus characters - Leprechaun, Amazon, Minotaur, Vampire Hunter and Sage

The multi-player game, Talisman Digital Edition, is available separately on Steam and can be found HERE.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The full version of Talisman is fine since Blaine will have no compunction throwing down a hundred or so more for all the DLC.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
You two should take a look on Tabletop Simulator, which is also on steam. I keep hearing the greatest things possible about it and it's generally said that it's the best thing ever to transmit a true "around the table with your friends" feel. I also heard there are many games made on it already, including stuff like War/Risk, Catan and Monopoly

Edit: the game's workshop so far: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160&p=1

It's pretty impressive for an early access that was made available just 3 months ago

Throw in Chaos in the Old World and yous got a deal!

Talisman appears to a festival of DLC, sadly.

I got Chainsaw Warrior because I couldn't resist with a name like that. Rather random, especially the character generation, but very fun so far. People complain about Elder Sign: Omens being solely based on luck but that's usually because they don't manage their ressources properly. Now this one on the other hand …

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Kinda thinking about getting Space Marine, should i?

It's a fun action game. It has a nice mix of melee and ranged combat, with the former being very satisfying, but the whole ride is rather uneven. You spend the first half fighting orks and the second half against chaos marines and daemons. The game loses some of its pacing when you encounter chaos since most of these must be dealt from afar and you won't have as many occasions to go in melee as in the first part, and so it forces you on a rather predictable path. Also the end boss is a complete disapointment as it is just a QTE. It's a very fun game but it could have been so much more with better pacing, less linearity, a bit more humour similar to what Relic did with its Dawn of War serie, and some better boss encounters. I kinda hope they'll go back to it one day and release a sequel that improves on the original (think Max Payne 2 to Max Payne 1) but I don't see that happening soon. In the end it's a decent game, with some very fun bits, and I don't think you'll take much risk for that price. If you like action games and have some interest in WH40K, it's a good way to spend a week-end.
Pretty much. The core gameplay - ignoring the rest of the game - is very fun and fluid. It's not just the a nice mix of melee and ranged combat, but that it's amazingly easy (and very necessary) to switch between the two. In fact you don't even switch, you have separate buttons for shooting and melee. I would shoot and aim with the regular left and right mouse buttons, while meleeing with the two side buttons on the mouse. Admittedly, melee combos are very simplistic - basically Dynasty Warriors if you have played that - except for the fact that each string pulls off different types of stuns, which are important and I'll cover that later. I actually found the ranged combat equally satisfying, but the thing is that this fun melee/ranged core mechanic gets let down by the flaws in the second half of the game, as Gragt explained.

The flaws indeed are shitty level design (though this is mostly between fights) and bad AI (in terms of being enemy not ever dodging). The thing is that having dozens of Orks rushing at you while Orks in the back are spamming rokkits and shootas - all this really makes up for the bad AI from my experience. But when you start fighting Chaos, the bad AI really hruts the game because it's just a shooting gallery while you strafe around avoiding their shots. The Chaos units move around slowly, dodge roll once in a while, and there are like no melee charging at you (which is what made the Orks fun) because the complete majority of the encounters are Chaos Space Marines with bolters/plasma and corrupted Imperial Guard that just stand there and shoot you with flashlights. There are instances where you'd fight a Chaos Marine that aggressively pursues you with a huge maul, but the problem is that those encounters are separate from the aforementioned encounters with ranged units. If they instead had encounters with a mix of melee and ranged threats (for example the Imperial Guard could do suicidal bayonet charges with a Commissar executing those that ran away), I think the second half of the game would be much, much improved. Granted once in a while they throw little Khornate Daemons at you but it still seemed like they weren't mixed well with ranged threats.

Seriously, this game has a really fun system at the core, just let down by bad encounters in the second half. Like it's fun to the point where even bad AI isn't an issue if they throw the right mix of enemies at you.

All that being said, it's also pretty fun in that it's an anti-cover game. It pushes you into combat so much that you don't even use regular environment as cover as you would in certain "old-school" shooters. Fighting Orks, you are forced to constantly melee and shoot because they are aggressive as fuck. At best you can retreat to a better area; usually that means an open area so that you can hit and run instead of being mobbed. The interesting and significantthing is there is no way to recover health except for stunning enemies in melee and then executing them, and you do have to think about which stun combo to use as you have to balance getting a quick stun to get HP versus a stun that hits a wide number of enemies. I also forgot to mention you'll also need to choose between a stunning combo versus a pure damage combo, because to pull off an execute they have to be at low damage AND stunned (I think). While the Execute sounds like a QTE (and looks like one with a huge marker over the enemy head), in practice it really isn't. You have to wade into the clusterfuck, pull off some stuns without getting fucked over, and then hit the execute button. I think you also can get hurt while the execute animation is going on, so you have to continue pulling off executes, usually by dashing out of the mob that you just ran right into so that they don't surround you and destroy you. Again at the same time there are bitches shooting you from afar so you also have to decide when to melee and when to kite enemies so that you can pick off the cowardly shooters. There is a "regenerating shield" mechanic but it's very quickly depleted, mostly to give you a few seconds of breathing time, to do the little hit and run that you can.

Also, while the end end boss is indeed a shitty QTE, the middle boss (Ork boss) is a pretty good encounter.

I forget how challenging Normal is, but either Normal or Hard was sufficiently challenging for me. There are major flaws, but I still say that if you like the sound of the core gameplay that forces you to constantly be on the move, shooting and meleeing, you should like the game (well, the first half).

Now, MP is indeed dead. The versus modes were pretty fun, very fast paced - maybe even too fast paced - and good mix of classes with melee jumppack guys, regular jack of trade Marines that had a variety of weapons, and then slower Marines with heavy powerful weapons. BUT versus MP was severely let down by complete lack of post-game support. The game didn't ship with many maps. I mean, it was an decent number of maps to start with and would have been fine if they added more maps as the game continued. But they didn't.

Some people have said they liked the Last Stand/Horde mode, but I didn't like it. Maybe it was because I mostly pubbed them, and you guys played privately? But holy shit it was so fucking overwhelming and that's coming from a guy that has been able to handle DoW2's last stand. I'm willing to play some private Last Stand games if anyone wants to, though. Or maybe we can even get enough people to play private versus matches.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Wall of text. Here's the review: it's shit.
Nope. It's just weird in that it's a lot of fun in the first half, and then shit in the second half. It's hard to call it mediocre because it's more like.. bipolar.

Worth a play with at discount. I would not recommend at full price.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is pretty bad price, even discounted. It's been bundled in a bunch of store before. I tried the demo... zzzzzzzzzzz.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The horde mode in Space Marine is pure awesomeness. But indeed is very rare to find a decent group to do it. I managed to beat both the regular Horde mode and the Chaos Invasion mode, but it took me about a year.

It's my rarest Steam achievment, only 0,6% of SM players have it. :?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'd join for some Space Marine horde mode if my current computer could handle it … MP is dead but if you can get a small group of dedicated friends for it (horde is 4 max I think) then the Chaos Invasion DLC is justified, else simply buy the game for the single player.

Bahamut

Arcane

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm willing to play some private Last Stand games if anyone wants to, though. Or maybe we can even get enough people to play private versus matches.
This is a great idea.
Join up in Codex Diversity Squad (Steam group) and I'll be down for playing next week when I get back into town.
Need an invite. wtf is this

Yea wanna join too
invited you, i don't have sbb on friends list so either add me or wait for someone else

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom