Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG2 run, Kensai/Mage dual or Fighter/Illusionist

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So i want to make bg2 + tob full run, i'm gonna solo it and what would be better, a kensai/mage dual class or a gnome fighter/ilusionist multi class

A fighter/ilu i could play as a warrior with spells whole game. A kensage i heard is best to dual at 13 but then i would have to play only as a mage for the next 14 levels.

Thoughts ?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What do you mean by "better"? Most powerful, or most fun?
If you want the most mindnumblingly boring class ever, pick the Kensai/Mage.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I think Berserker/Mage is actually more popular than Kensai/Mage nowadays.

But really, they're both considered some of the top tier classes in BG2 and you basically answered your own questions in your own post - it all depends on how much you can tolerate the Dual transition period.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

psh, fuck that noise.

Go Fighter/Mage in BG1 and win right from the start.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So yea berserker/mage is better than kensai, the immunities help a lot.

Dualing at level 9 berserker seems to be also the best.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Aren't the other, more conventional, RPG boards supposed to be the place to discuss this kind of shit ? Or is BG2 so old now that its considered hardcore enough to open an Nth thread about kensaï/mage/urmom here ?

Johannes

Arcane
Aren't the other, more conventional, RPG boards supposed to be the place to discuss this kind of shit ? Or is BG2 so old now that its considered hardcore enough to open an Nth thread about kensaï/mage/urmom here ?
If only the developer ghettos weren't polluting the main GRPGD, it wouldn't be a problem.

Then we could have these threads in multitude instead of just a big BG2 MEGATHREAD.

Lhynn

Arcane
Why would kensai/mage be the most boring? its literally playing a Mage with better thac0.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Berserker Rage immunities aren't really that big of a deal. Spell Immunity makes you immune to any spell school of your choice, Amulet of Power and various weapons make you immune to level drain.

Lhynn

Arcane
Because you spend a great deal of the game being a wimp and then suddenly you turn into an invincible Lilura.
Kensais are hardly wimps, and you level mage so fast with scrolls that you are competitive before you know it.
Its hardly an invincible combo either way, its just a mage with better thac0, you will still get destroyed if you dont know what you are doing. Thing is, if you know what you are doing BG2 is as easy with a kensai/mage than it is with a bard.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Also depends if he removes the xp cap or not.

And the best class is a berserker/mage named Lord Paco.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's a bloody long time since my last BG2 so my memory is hazy about Kensai Mage. WHat's good about it?

Sure, Kensai doesnt use armor so that fit nicely with Mage. BUT you are sacrificing mage level to get some kensai level: bonus to damage and tohit, bonusAC, fighter HP (7 or 9 level worth).
And what do you plan to fight with it? Long range use magic, short range use staff. AND? short range you are still screwed because no armor. And melee ability can not compete with summon spell to create meatshield.
The role of mage is high quality artillery, not melee fighter.
This make me curious?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Well you either used staff of the magi or dual katana/longsword (dakkon zerth/celestial fury and belm offhand) for K/M powergaming, it basically transforms you into a one hit killing machine since your mage spells take care of your protections, leaving you free to use no armor and to get full utilization of your class.

Lhynn

Arcane
It's a bloody long time since my last BG2 so my memory is hazy about Kensai Mage. WHat's good about it?

Sure, Kensai doesnt use armor so that fit nicely with Mage. BUT you are sacrificing mage level to get some kensai level: bonus to damage and tohit, bonusAC, fighter HP (7 or 9 level worth).
And what do you plan to fight with it? Long range use magic, short range use staff. AND? short range you are still screwed because no armor. And melee ability can not compete with summon spell to create meatshield.
This make me curious?
Because of the way leveling is set up in AD&D, you dont really sacrifice anything but a bit of exp that wont make a difference in the end. Gain better AC, good offensive capabilities, good hp pool, etc. Its exactly how it should be, level caps are a retarded idea that needs to die in a fire.

Delterius

Arcane
This make me curious?
Arcane magic is so powerful in AD&D that even a Sorcerer with but a few casts can effectively tank from mid game forwards. Stoneskin and Mirror Image alone makes it all laughable. Just wait until you get things like Spell Immunity and Prot. from Magical Weapons. The question is wether you want to give up a single final level of Mage to gain 9 early levels of Fighter. Dual classing doesn't change your character the way Multi classing does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom