Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Beyond Beyaan, an Opensource Space 4X Engine

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's no the Ur-Quan that we should be worried about, but the Kohr-An.

Zeraan

Novice
Well it's an open source 4X engine yes, why would you care if they put in retarded races if you can code in new ones yourself?

ALSO WHAT THE HELL IS A GAMEPAD ICON DOING ON THE UI. GET CONSOLE POPAMOLE OFF MY 4X :x

Sorry it took me a while, but I've finally replaced the gamepad icon with "gears" icon, are you appeased now? :)

taskbar_zps9906f2ae.png

Zeraan

Novice
Zeraaan! I went on your site a few days ago to take a gander at your work, looks like its going well.

What completion stage you are in? Say, in %?

What about the code? Codexx teached me that most coders today would be thrown out on their ass in the good ye olde times, because it seems pretty mmuch everything today is unoptimised as fuck. You want a infinite map, right? You're going to need very good optimised code, bro.

So, you manage to put in multiple polities in one planet? I have sum wacky ideas for it in the future... anyone up for playing "Clash of Cultures, a Codexian 4X" over the internet? Imagine multiple countries expanding through and trying to escape population earth by going to space, fighting there and then meeting and dealing with aliens (divided AND undivided), berserker probes and whatnot. I would eagerly volunteer for writting the lore, Alpha Centauri-style. IMHO Space 4X always lacked a good SMAC-style lore to give some extra atmosphere.

It's at alpha version 0.5 (uploading a new version to Desura soon), so I'd say about half-way done through alpha stage.

Right now, my aim is to match up Master of Orion 1's gameplay. It's going well, most of the empire's mechanisms are implemented. Basically the only things left are some management UI (planets list, fleets list, etc), diplomacy (wars, trades, etc), space combat, random events, AI, and misc items (sounds, polishing, etc). I hope to have the game in Beta phase during winter (beta meaning all features implemented, but may be buggy and/or AI may not behave correctly).

No, each planet only have one empire claim, but I do have ideas on how to expand this (Imperium Galactica-esque way of managing colonies so you can have ground combat like Imperium Galactica, with civilization-esque cities around the planet) but that will come in far future, because after MoO 1's ruleset are implemented, I plan on adding MoO 2's ruleset, so you can play like MoO 1, or MoO 2, or a mix of both. Then I'll start adding extra features.

Lorica

Educated
Random events that spawns a new empire sounds intriguing. One problem with that is if it spawns late in the game, other empires can crush it with their superior fleets/technology...

I thought empire splitting in Civ 2 was well handled, if a little exploitable once you knew what you were doing. A splitting mechanic that caused rebelling colonies to create a new empire, retaining the tech development of the original empire as well as control of fleets supported by the colonies that secede would be both logical and a small guarantor of the new empire's ability to continue...

Just a thought. I hear you when you say you're looking to get the basics down pat first. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom