Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Betrayer (17th century FPS from Ex-Monolith devs)

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Apparently Devolver Digital was at one point trying to get the rights to Blood so that they could give it a treatment similar to Duke Nukem 3D and the original Shadow Warrior. If they ever succeeded in this, that could mean the IP is no longer under the control of a big publisher bureaucracy, and these original Monolith mastermind fellows could take advantage of that.

However, Betrayer is very different from Monolith's old titles in plenty of ways, so maybe it shows that they'll want to continue making new, different stuff.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That is pretty good, but instead of doing research themselves and wasting dev time on it, couldn't they have splurged on a couple of sperging history students, or, I dunno, period recreationists? Not Ren Fair type, people that actually are serious about their hobby. There's plenty of them, and some will do it for peanuts just for the sake of the idea that someone will not wipe their ass on historical authenticity for once.
This doesn't seem to solve much to me, unless they're also buying a device to transfer knowledge into the head of the people writing dialog.

Angthoron

Arcane
That is pretty good, but instead of doing research themselves and wasting dev time on it, couldn't they have splurged on a couple of sperging history students, or, I dunno, period recreationists? Not Ren Fair type, people that actually are serious about their hobby. There's plenty of them, and some will do it for peanuts just for the sake of the idea that someone will not wipe their ass on historical authenticity for once.
This doesn't seem to solve much to me, unless they're also buying a device to transfer knowledge into the head of the people writing dialog.
Seems to work for film industry. I don't mean bombastic Hollywood production, but there's a fair bit of period pieces that have actually done proper research, and it's not usually done via the entire team learning seamstress techniques or colours/materials available at the time, there's consultants for that shit. You hire 'em, outline what you want to know, they do it for you, you set your visuals (at least the visuals) within those frames.

Wasn't talking dialogue, rather, visual design.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Apparently Devolver Digital was at one point trying to get the rights to Blood so that they could give it a treatment similar to Duke Nukem 3D and the original Shadow Warrior.

IIRC they tried to get Blood but it was too expensive an IP (for whatever reason) so they gave up.

Angthoron

Arcane
So decided to give this one a try and it actually is pretty sweet. Unfortunately, seems to be quite unfriendly to playing it with volume down, so I've pretty much missed all the "listen" bits for now. The ghosts sure made me laugh though.

Astral Rag

Arcane
So does this game have:

interesting level design
a fast and tight movement system
skill based gunplay
varied, challenging enemies
an interesting and fun arsenal
a fleshed out, unlock free MP component with dedicated servers
can you play online with DWANGO

?

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
Bought it two days ago, finish the alpha... tonight i'll start a new game and see the improvements.

I aways like when a 1st person game tries to have other gameplay elements othe than "shooting". Sometimes they are masterpieces, sometimes they're a waste of potential.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I haven't followed this game at all but I must admit that it looks kinda interesting.

Angthoron

Arcane
Bought it two days ago, finish the alpha... tonight i'll start a new game and see the improvements.

I aways like when a 1st person game tries to have other gameplay elements othe than "shooting". Sometimes they are masterpieces, sometimes they're a waste of potential.
Could you spoiler a bit on how to use the "listen" mechanic? I have to play with volume turned a bit down, so can't really do the positional audio so well.

Edit: Nevermind, I think - they added an UI element for it.

Edity-edit: Wow, the full version is really quite a lot more polished than the last version of Early Access. They moved things around a bunch. So far, pretty good.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Could you spoiler a bit on how to use the "listen" mechanic? I have to play with volume turned a bit down, so can't really do the positional audio so well.

Edit: Nevermind, I think - they added an UI element for it.

Edity-edit: Wow, the full version is really quite a lot more polished than the last version of Early Access. They moved things around a bunch. So far, pretty good.
Yes, it is normally reliant on your ability to follow positional audio, but there is an option for visual aid.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I really like the minimalist approach of the game so far. No hand-holding and adrenaline rush, just the opposite, the game embraces the virtues of patience and discovery. The landscapes are absolutely beautiful, the soundscapes play an important role too (wind gusts can be used to sneak closer to a conquistador), and the overall emphasize is more towards adventure rather than action, as I find myself not charging directly straight towards enemies (suicidal) but try to observe them and sneak towards them and then tomahawk the fucker. The areas are quite large but not seamless (UE3). There is also loot from which you can buy stuff in stores. Don't forget to pick up your arrows.

It's a well done and interesting mix of Stalker, Thief, Fear, Demon's Souls and and and. If you like eerie and slow games that force you to pay attention, this is your game. For a small team of 7 this is truly quite a remarkable achievement, and all that without any publisher or kickstarter support.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I haven't followed this game at all but I must admit that it looks kinda interesting.

I quite enjoyed my time with the alpha. It's the only early access game I have bought because I wanted to mess with the colors, but the gameplay was good enough I really wanted to keep playing.

Angthoron

Arcane
Really enjoying this so far, think I cleared the second map now, investigation complete, at any rate. Somewhat unsettling stuff, and hooray for no voice acting.

Sodafish

Arcane
The graphic style looks offputting... like it would kill your eyes dead in a couple of hours.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Maybe when the alpha initially came out, but after they gave you the option to change the style using sliders, not anymore.

You can even change it to play it in full color if you want.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What the fuck is this game holy shit I'm tripping balls :what:

I think this game might have the best use of audio since Thief 2. I'm serious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom