Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Betrayer (17th century FPS from Ex-Monolith devs)

Cassidy

Arcane
This is a multiplatform shooter for touchscreen interfaces used by hipsters first, PC last. There is nothing more to say about it. Really.

The action, interface, gunplay and shooting will be even worse than in console ports. There is just no way the compromises and streamlining for a media where Angry Birds is king won't make this into a terrible, piece of shit of a FPS that makes CoD look great in comparison.

Of course D1P gonna D1P.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Really enthused to play this but want a finished game. Fuck these early access things are tempting though.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
This is a multiplatform shooter for touchscreen interfaces used by hipsters first, PC last. There is nothing more to say about it. Really.

The action, interface, gunplay and shooting will be even worse than in console ports. There is just no way the compromises and streamlining for a media where Angry Birds is king won't make this into a terrible, piece of shit of a FPS that makes CoD look great in comparison.

Of course D1P gonna D1P.
:retarded:

It's been actually quite easy on the eyes since they introduced the contrast/brightness/colour sliders. This on the other hand also exposed the shallowness of the whole gimmick, as the atmosphere doesn't really change even if you go with full colours (if anything, it's slightly more difficult that way because the various red-marked objectives and enemies do not stand out quite as distinctly). What's more of a problem is all of what Zewp mentioned earlier and the latest update doesn't seem to have changed any of that much. It introduced a new area and a new enemy type (natives who are a bit harder to spot than the Spaniards) but the mechanics remain the same and it's starting to all get really rather old and with no new things to buy exploration loses much of its appeal.

Plus, the way the second area basically repeats the level design of the first shows a fundamental problem of how the kind of atmosphere and narrative they're going for doesn't really mesh well with the actual gameplay they've got (respawning zombie enemies, the way you carry tons of weapons around that you can "sell" by dragging onto a menu field, treasure chests in the wilderness, etc.). I can't help but feel the game would be vastly improved if they stopped trying make the whole thing breathtakingly deep and original and just focus on making it a fun and challenging shooter, because that's what it currently isn't.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Played it for the first time since August now. So, with the sliders in place you can now no longer get back the look it had at release? I played around with the sliders but I couldn't replicate it. I don't want to play like that, but it is odd that they opted to remove it entirely.

Anyway, I'm impressed and I'm also not impressed. The game is hard as fuck now, but the gameplay is still entirely uninteresting.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh, funny, I wanted to come into this thread to ask for any updates or ETAs yesterday, but forgot :M

So, anyone still playing the early access?

zwanzig_zwoelf

The system requirements say that the game needs 1GB of VRAM.
The same thing is told in Natural Selection 2 system requirements, but it can run on my PC (my GPU has 512 Mbs of VRAM) with texture streaming enabled.

Anyone tried to run it using a GPU with 512 Mbs of VRAM?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://steamcommunity.com/app/243120/discussions/1/558748557892021137/

Craig Hubbard
We thought we were a little closer to done in December than we actually were. Or at least a couple of us did. The realists were more circumspect, but who listens to party poopers.

dr.acechables, I didn't realize what a challenging era this would be to tackle when we settled on it. It's been a real learning experience. Every sentence I wrote turned into a mini research project. For instance, one of the clues I included early on was a drinking cup that would’ve belonged to a wealthy gentleman. I nonchalantly typed “porcelain cup” and then immediately worried about when porcelain was invented. It was much later, naturally, so that description had to go. That turned into an hour of researching 16th century ceramics in England.

It was fascinating, but also frustrating because everything was like that: clothing, food, beverages, tools, weapons, land and sea navigation, laws, medicine, military ranks, and on and on. The other day I found myself trying to figure out how you’d address an unmarried young woman in 1600. “Miss” was invented later and “mistress” seemed to have been in sort of in a transitional phase, so I finally gave up and rewrote the line to sidestep the issue. Again, surprisingly fascinating stuff, but a pretty ridiculous obstacle to getting a simple sentence written.

I wish I could be blasé about anachronisms, but I hate the idea of getting things wrong due to lack of effort.

:brodex:

Take all the time you need guys. Craig is actually doing proper research for his writing efforts to reach highest authenticity. This is the antithesis of Bioware writing (lol pop culture and fan faction shitwriting for our gaems).

Angthoron

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/app/243120/discussions/1/558748557892021137/

Craig Hubbard
We thought we were a little closer to done in December than we actually were. Or at least a couple of us did. The realists were more circumspect, but who listens to party poopers.

dr.acechables, I didn't realize what a challenging era this would be to tackle when we settled on it. It's been a real learning experience. Every sentence I wrote turned into a mini research project. For instance, one of the clues I included early on was a drinking cup that would’ve belonged to a wealthy gentleman. I nonchalantly typed “porcelain cup” and then immediately worried about when porcelain was invented. It was much later, naturally, so that description had to go. That turned into an hour of researching 16th century ceramics in England.

It was fascinating, but also frustrating because everything was like that: clothing, food, beverages, tools, weapons, land and sea navigation, laws, medicine, military ranks, and on and on. The other day I found myself trying to figure out how you’d address an unmarried young woman in 1600. “Miss” was invented later and “mistress” seemed to have been in sort of in a transitional phase, so I finally gave up and rewrote the line to sidestep the issue. Again, surprisingly fascinating stuff, but a pretty ridiculous obstacle to getting a simple sentence written.

I wish I could be blasé about anachronisms, but I hate the idea of getting things wrong due to lack of effort.

:brodex:

Take all the time you need guys. Craig is actually doing proper research for his writing efforts to reach highest authenticity. This is the antithesis of Bioware writing (lol pop culture and fan faction shitwriting for our gaems).
That is pretty good, but instead of doing research themselves and wasting dev time on it, couldn't they have splurged on a couple of sperging history students, or, I dunno, period recreationists? Not Ren Fair type, people that actually are serious about their hobby. There's plenty of them, and some will do it for peanuts just for the sake of the idea that someone will not wipe their ass on historical authenticity for once.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I finished it. It's overall pretty nice gameplay-wise, and the writing, environment and backstory are fantastic. I think they really did justice to all the horrific shit that happened in colonial North America.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I finished it. It's overall pretty nice gameplay-wise, and the writing, environment and backstory are fantastic. I think they really did justice to all the horrific shit that happened in colonial North America.

The finished version comes out next week. You only played an outdated Alpha containing only a fraction of the whole game. Unless you're a game journo who got access to a review build, that is.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I was implying the latter with the [REDACTED] thing. It was the full version for reviewers.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Fuck Betrayer, Gimme Blood 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom