Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Betrayal at Krondor Sequel Petition by Neal Hallford

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I liked BaK a lot and signed the petition, but I really can't believe they would be able to pull out anything remotley close to the original...

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Wasn't Return to Krondor based on Thief of Dreams? Or was it redesigned from scratch?

Hekateras

Educated
Wasn't Return to Krondor based on Thief of Dreams? Or was it redesigned from scratch?

Thief of Dreams was supposed to be centred on Owyn's emerging badassery.

You'll notice there's no Owyn in RtK.

So, no, it had nothing to do with that game.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
RtK failed in many more aspects than just the story, which is what I was aiming at originally.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played RtK, but BiA is surprisingly good for a game made by a newbie team (lead designer of the game actually got the job because Ken Williams noticed him playing BAK all the time), you can't tell it was made by passionate BaK fans. Huge world, many towns, unique and interesting setting, its only failure is the main characters being young adults (and acting like young adults but regardless, the story is pretty good with a really cool tweest right at the end).

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
RtK was better than BiA. RtK had a better story than even BaK, and more interesting characters.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Unfortunately, I don't think Neal's Kickstarter can succeed unless he also gets Feist on board. I'm fully aware this isn't fair since Neal did all the writing on BaK and Feist didn't contribute anything beyond the setting (which obviously wasn't what made the game so unique), but a lot of people who played the game -- a lot if not most of potential Kickstarter backers -- fully associate BaK with Feist, to this day. And that's probably the saddest part.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Unfortunately, I don't think Neal's Kickstarter can succeed unless he also gets Feist on board. I'm fully aware this isn't fair since Neal did all the writing on BaK and Feist didn't contribute anything beyond the setting (which obviously wasn't what made the game so unique), but a lot of people who played the game -- a lot if not most of potential Kickstarter backers -- fully associate BaK with Feist, to this day. And that's probably the saddest part.
I understand that Neal needs to convince the BaK team to join the project, before attempting a kickstarter campaign. But if he does, a kickstarted project could get so much more media and players attention that it might succeed. The fact that he is dedicating so much time to filming this days, he *could* produce some very cool videos for the KS as well.

kaizoku

Arcane
at least 5,000 signatures of fans who will pledge to either give $200 apiece, or raise $200 from among their friends

The petition is wrong from the start.
Doesn't he know cRPG players have no friends?

It should have been instead:

if you're willing to chip 20$ or more, please sign the petition and put the amount in brackets, eg: [50$]. This will allow me to parse the comments automatically and make a total out of it.

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Howdy gang, just wanted to let all of you know who have been talking about Krondor, both pro and con, that we've put the Krondor sequel on pause for the time being until such time we've got more of a team assembled. A lot of the original folks are interested in participating, but it's going to take some epic co-ordinating to find times in all our schedules to make it happen, and we don't want to rush this. It certainly won't be something we can get off the ground and moving before the end of the year, especially given that the holidays are coming up.

That said, I hope that those of you who have been enthusiastic at the thought of my working on a new RPG will consider backing another Kickstarter RPG project that I'll be working on in the meantime. Over the years I've narrowly missed working Guido Henkel a couple of times, but he was behind several awesome titles including Realms of Arkania, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights and several others. He's asked me to come aboard their project, and I was more than happy to accept.

This doesn't mean that the Krondor project won't happen, it just isn't happening before the end of 2012. Thanks for all your support! :)

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
I haven't, Crooked. Unfortunately last week my laptop died after getting back from a filming trip to Houston, and it took what I'd written with it. But I'll try and get back to it this week. :D

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Pre 2012: OMG WHY ARE THE OLD DEVELOPERS NEVER MAKING GAMES RELEVANT TO OUR INTERESTS

Post 2012: OMG ALL THESE OLD DEVELOPERS MAKING GAMES RELEVANT TO MY INTEREST TIRE ME

There's just no satisfying some people, man ;)

Moderation, how does it work?

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Hi guys. Sorry I haven't checked in more frequently, but it's been a crazy couple of weeks, and I wanted to give you an update. As you have PROBABLY heard, I joined forces with Guido Henkel's THORVALLA project that just launched on Kickstarter at midnight last night. While I haven't given up on the hope of doing a "pure" Krondor sequel, we've pushed it back until there's a time when we'll be able to schedule serious time and effort. As it was, sorting schedules wasn't going to be feasible before year's end, and none of us had a desire to rush things.

SO...THORVALLA. I'm asking all of you to seriously consider throwing your support to it. I'm teaming up with another guy who knows and loves the same kind of games that Krondor was. Guido was the producer on Planescape Torment and designed the Realms of Arkania series. He cares a lot about having a perfect synthesis between gameplay and storytelling, which is why he drug an old, rabid dog like me out of the rain to help save the world again, one more time. And that's what I'm asking you to do. I need help saving the world. I'm blowing on the horn of Algon Kookon. I need you guys to be the heroes this time. It's all in your hands.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/thorvalla-an-rpg-by-guido-henkel

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
You have my money, pals but... 1M$? Let's cross our fingers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom