Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda vs Interplay in the court of William M Nickerson

Silellak

Cipher
Ausir said:
Wonder if the Steam copies will stop working after Bethesda wins.

Wow, what a terrifying precedent that would set. Reminds me of all the uproar when Amazon deleted a few books (most notably 1984, for special lolz) directly off of user's Kindles.

Except no one in the media will care this time, because it will be about video games, which everyone knows are just toys for nerdy fags.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
A while after the release of FO3, there were a lot of Fallout Collections for sale for 10 euro. It's unlikely that it is a coincidence, I couldn't let that pass.

Weekly PC Sales: Go Go 'Fallout Trilogy'
by Chris Faylor May 13, 2009 10:37am CST tags: NPD, PC Sales, Software Sales, Direct2Drive
If you've been paying attention to the recent sales charts, you pretty much know what to expect from NPD and its listing of the ten best-selling PC games at U.S. retailers.

Still, there's one surprise tucked away in there: Interplay's recent "Fallout Trilogy" bundle--packing Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics--popped up as #7 on NPD's chart.

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=58609

MetalCraze

Arcane
Stereotypical Villain said:
There are some who've had a change of heart after playing through the originals.
Some. 1 out of 1000 maybe. Gnat's bite.

You said that you wouldn't mind it if Bethsda sold the originals, i am simply saying that they won't.
Oh yes they will - if they will know there are money to be had - they will.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Most likely Bethesda noticed how well the originals were doing on digital distribution and wants to take a piece. Nothing new: Scum being scum.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Silellak said:
Ausir said:

Wow, what a terrifying precedent that would set. Reminds me of all the uproar when Amazon deleted a few books (most notably 1984, for special lolz) directly off of user's Kindles.

Except no one in the media will care this time, because it will be about video games, which everyone knows are just toys for nerdy fags.
Though unlike Amazon, you can bet your ass that there won't be any refunds this time around!

Dionysus

Scholar
Silellak said:
Ausir said:

Considering the trouble that Amazon went through, I doubt Valve would do it. Amazon actually went back and restored the books that they deleted.

MetalCraze said:
Oh yes they will - if they will know there are money to be had - they will.
Well, they do give their old TES games away for free. But I don't think they have any right to the old FO games anyway. They are just stepping on IP's neck to get the MMO rights.

Ausir

Arcane
Considering the trouble that Amazon went through, I doubt Valve would do it. Amazon actually went back and restored the books that they deleted.

Except that Valve wouldn't be actively deleting them here. In fact, allowing gamers to activate online and play their copies of Fallout will be a breach of Bethesda's trademark when they win the lawsuit.

Well, they do give their old TES games away for free.

Yes, but unlike FO1 and 2, running Arena and Daggerfall on modern computers is a pain, so they wouldn't really be able to sell them much.

Dionysus

Scholar
Ausir said:
Except that Valve wouldn't be actively deleting them here. In fact, allowing gamers to activate online and play their copies of Fallout will be a breach of Bethesda's trademark when they win the lawsuit.
Yeah, it is more complicated because Steam should technically allow you to install/uninstall whenever you like. Bethesda can certainly stop IP from publishing the current box set, but I'm not sure if they could or would force end users to essentially return a product that they have already purchased.

Yes, but unlike FO1 and 2, running Arena and Daggerfall on modern computers is a pain, so they wouldn't really be able to sell them much.
Running Daggerfall was a pain in 1997, and it didn't stop them from charging back then.

Ausir

Arcane
Yeah, it is more complicated because Steam should technically allow you to install/uninstall whenever you like.

Steam requires online activation every time you play. Which will probably not be possible once Bethesda enforces the court verdict.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ausir said:
Yeah, it is more complicated because Steam should technically allow you to install/uninstall whenever you like.

Steam requires online activation every time you play. Which will probably not be possible once Bethesda enforces the court verdict.

So it will actually hurt Bethesda's, Valve's and Steam's (because of shitty DRM) reputation at the same time?...
...Fuck yeah.

Quilty

Magister
MetalCraze said:
Ausir said:

So it will actually hurt Bethesda's, Valve's and Steam's (because of shitty DRM) reputation at the same time?...
...Fuck yeah.

I fucking hope so. I never really felt anything about Steam until I bought Empire:TW. Now whenever Steam has one of its silly fits it tells me my game, which I installed OFF A FUCKING DVD, is currently unavailable.

Dionysus

Scholar
Ausir said:
Steam requires online activation every time you play.
No, it doesn't. And even if it did, I don't think your conclusion would necessarily be accurate. Bethesda can stop IP from selling those games with their current packaging, but I don't think it necessarily follows that anyone could take the game away from an end user that has already purchased it from a third-party retailer.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Time to backup all the Fallout content from GOG I hadn't downloaded yet...

BSOD

Novice
Wait a minute, so Interplay can release the boxed trilogy, but they can't release it digitally? I don't get it.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
They have all rights to sell Fo/Fo2/Tactics but can't publish anything new, even the smallest patch. And for a game to be available from Steam or GoG there must be some changes made (GoG guarantees compatibility with new OS, Steam makes changes so it is only possile to run the game by using steam application, installation is different than in the old version etc.).

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
That's why I always buy hardcopies, sure you can burn them to disc but I rather have a original hardcopy. When I bought ZBrush, I even paid a little extra for a hardcopy just in case.

The link doesn't specify, but I was wondering whether anyone knows whether Bethesda is suing under breach of copyright (or equivalent statutory mechanism) or 'passing off'/misleading and deceptive conduct (where there isn't necessarily any copying of an owned name or image, but customers might get the products mixed up)?

It would make a significant difference as to whether Bethesda is likely to win, and whether sale through GoG, Steam etc is going to be permanently stuffed. If Bethesda owns the code to the old FO games, with a contractual exception for selling them in their current forms, then Interplay is screwed. But if they are just suing over copyright in the name, then that's a bit silly - copyright only covers the words, not the idea, so Interplay could just rename them - just title them 'Fallouts of the 1990s', or 'INTERPLAY'S fallout (with big emphasis on Interplay and a big disclaimer saying they have nothing to do with FO3)', or something similar. If the Fallout name itself is under copyright, then just change it to 'Classic Interplay trilogy', or 'Post-Apocolyptic Boogaloo', or whatever. Copyright protects the words - there isn't anything preventing anyone selling a game involving the Vaulp Tweller finding the water chip and stopping the Commander's mutant army.

'Passing off' or misleading and deceptive conduct (2 different things, but they work the same way in this kind of case) is different - that just means whether consumers could mix the two up. And I can see how that might happen - the issue isn't consumers mixing up the trilogy with FO3, it's consumers thinking that Interplay is somehow connected to FO3, or that Bethesda is somehow connected to the original fallouts (both could be actionable by Bethesda as the owner of the IP). Again though, it could be avoided by clearly stating it in the advertising and titles, or renaming them if absolutely necessary.

That's why I'm surprised they've sued under general law rather than breach of contract - I would have thought the contractual provisions were tighter than general trade practices and IP law.

Mind you, most cases like this get settled, unless one or both sides are being dicks and not listening to their legal advice. There's no reason why cases like this need to go to court - the lawyers would know pretty much what will happen, and will be advising their clients of tthat - it's just that some clients are too stupid or stubborn to listen to the legal advice that they are paying fuckloads for (as a former lawyer many years ago, lawyers fucking HATE that shite - lawyers want clients to come to them BEFORE they get into trouble and ask them how to comply with the law at minimum cost, clients want to break the law and then have a cry when they get convicted just as the lawyer told them they would). The fact that this is probably going to cost one or both companies a fuckload of legal fees, for the sake of something that could be fixed by changing the marketing/name/labelling says a lot about how stupid some of these guys are.

Mind you, I suspect they'd be MUCH more willing to settle if they were playing with their own money rather than shareholders'.

Iago42

Novice
I imagine Bethesda will allow continuation of the sale of the original Fallouts, if they can make a profit from it.

Why? Because for no cost for them, they get to receive profits from a market that hates them and Fallout 3. And Bethesda knows how to get a profit.

Ausir

Arcane
It would make a significant difference as to whether Bethesda is likely to win, and whether sale through GoG, Steam etc is going to be permanently stuffed. If Bethesda owns the code to the old FO games, with a contractual exception for selling them in their current forms, then Interplay is screwed. But if they are just suing over copyright in the name, then that's a bit silly - copyright only covers the words, not the idea, so Interplay could just rename them - just title them 'Fallouts of the 1990s', or 'INTERPLAY'S fallout (with big emphasis on Interplay and a big disclaimer saying they have nothing to do with FO3)', or something similar.

Bethesda might not own the code, but they certainly own all the content - characters, plots, etc. now. So no, Interplay cannot do this.

Mind you, most cases like this get settled, unless one or both sides are being dicks and not listening to their legal advice.

Sounds like Herve Caen.

Ausir said:
It would make a significant difference as to whether Bethesda is likely to win, and whether sale through GoG, Steam etc is going to be permanently stuffed. If Bethesda owns the code to the old FO games, with a contractual exception for selling them in their current forms, then Interplay is screwed. But if they are just suing over copyright in the name, then that's a bit silly - copyright only covers the words, not the idea, so Interplay could just rename them - just title them 'Fallouts of the 1990s', or 'INTERPLAY'S fallout (with big emphasis on Interplay and a big disclaimer saying they have nothing to do with FO3)', or something similar.

Bethesda might not own the code, but they certainly own all the content - characters, plots, etc. now. So no, Interplay cannot do this.

Mind you, most cases like this get settled, unless one or both sides are being dicks and not listening to their legal advice.
Sounds like Herve Caen.

Under what IP would they own the content? I'm only familiar with the common law nations, i.e. Australia, UK, Canada, US, Singapore etc, so there might be a different form of IP in the code law nations (continental europe - actually US kind of falls between the two in some ways).

But insofar as IP in most countries go, you have:
- copyright - only owns words and images, not the ideas. Certainly doesn't protect characters, setting and so forth - at most you'd have to change the characters' names. If they owned copyright on the dialgoue from FO, that could be a problem, as you'd have to change the wording of a sufficient portion of it, but I doubt they own the copyright on that - they would have bought the FO name, rather than (say) the title music and writing therein. In any event, the lawsuit would be set up wrong if that was the case - they're suing for sale and marketing of the fallout trilogy. If they were suing on dialogue and characters, they'd have to state the dialogue and characters that they were claiming ownership of - e.g. the use of the line 'get your rats on a stick here!' And even then, they still would have great difficulty claiming copyright over that because very few terms were 'out of the ordinary' - you can't copyright general speech. You might be able to copyright the name 'Brotherhood of Steel', but again, the suit doesn't seem set up that way. Would be a dicey case in any event - Brotherhood and Steel are pretty ordinary words, and their combination isn't particular distinct - you certainly wouldn't risk a major lawsuit over it. Vault Dweller, with capital V and D, might be a better bet, but still avoidable - changing names like that is less effort than what used to go into the utterly budget console ports of yesteryear. COuld probably do it with one guy working on a mod. And that's in the unlikely event that they have the copyright over that stuff, or would be silly enough to sue on it (given that the damages for that would be trivial, as opposed to the substantial damages if you caught Interplay breaching an exclusivity contract). Most legal threats under copyright (EXCEPT the ones where sony sues you for pirating - as I said, copyright has teeth when it comes to music and code) are baseless threats that the company knows can't be enforced, and are just trying to scare you into a compromise. That used to be so common in Australia (and still is elsewhere) that they made it a significant offence over here to threaten someone with breach of copyright when it is clear that the threat is groundless (that was 10 years ago when I studied IP at uni, not sure if it is still on the books now - in those days you had record makers threatening to sue car dealerships for switching on the car radio to prove that the radio worked, without paying royalties to the company that owned the song being played). But I can't imagine them trying a baseless threat against a company large enough to get legal advice.

The only area where copyright has any real teeth is music - because it protects the exact combinations of notes. But otherwise, if you want to write 'the badly lit tall building', and have the exact same plot as Stephen King's the Dark Tower, then go for it - just make sure you don't copy out any exact passages.

- trademarks - applies to the titles and logos,that's all.

- patent - doesn't apply to this area,

- confidentiality contract - not applicable

- designs - not applicable

Traditionally, the ONLY form of IP used in the software industry is copyright over the code, and exclusivity contracts to prevent subsidiaries, ex-employees and business partners from competinga gainst you. That's why Microsoft can't prevent Open Office from making a Word-imitation that opens word documents. The code is different, and copyright doesn't protect the idea.

So what form of IP could they be using? There isn't any general IP that covers 'content' as you put it, that I'm aware of. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all here, I'm asking honestly - I didn't practice in IP, and my current work doesn't take me near that stuff, so I haven't looked at it since law school many many years ago (my best friend is an IP lawyer for the Australia Film Institute, so I could ask him next time I speak to him, I guess).

The lack of an IP covering 'content' was why the original FO could take so much from Mad Max (characters, food, armour-styles, weapons, art-style, etc). Again, they could have called it 'Insane John', and kept the same plot as Mad Max without losing a thing.

Edit: it is also the exact reason why Coke doesn't use IP to protect its formula from Pepsi. If it patented the formula the patent would have run out about 10 years after invention (i.e. many years ago now), and there is no IP that allows it to own the idea or even the 'content' (the formula and manufacturing process). It relies on good old fashioned secrecy, combined with employee contracts that threaten to financially castrate any of the handfull of employees that knows that actual formula if they tell (they have a syrup that can be reverse-engineered, and then vials that get added to it, which are kept under massive security and they few guys allowed to handle them don't know what is in them). If the secret got out, they'd have no IP protection, but there simply isn't an IP that covers that stuff.

Now that doesn't mean that Interplay's sale to Bethesda was worthless. I would have thought that the contract WOULD have included clauses preventing Interplay from selling any products containing any characters, dialogue, art or other assets from the Fallout series. You could create an IP via an exclusivity contract, and then enforce it by suing for breach of contract, sure. But if they aren't doing that, then what form of IP are they relying on?

Edit: what it COULD be is a threat to drag Interplay through a long and ultra-expensive court process unless they voluntarily stop selling them, or assign them over to Bethesda, even if they legally don't have to. THAT is a very common tactic. Bethesda/Zenimax could wear the legal costs over the next few years (plus appeals after that) without raising a sweat, whereas Interplay is struggling for existence and any major ongoing cost like this could collapse it. Even if Bethesda has no grounds, or has grounds but little likelihood of large damages payout, they might be backing themselves to bankrupt Interplay with legal fees, or at least threaten to so that Interplay is forced to sell them the back catalogue.

Ausir

Arcane
Under what IP would they own the content? I'm only familiar with the common law nations, i.e. Australia, UK, Canada, US, Singapore etc, so there might be a different form of IP in the code law nations (continental europe - actually US kind of falls between the two in some ways).

Bethesda bought the rights to all the content of the games from Interplay. They own all the writing, all the art etc. from Fallout 1 and 2 now. To do what you suggest, Interplay would need to write all the dialogues and create new art from scratch. If you think that could be done easily, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The only area where copyright has any real teeth is music - because it protects the exact combinations of notes. But otherwise, if you want to write 'the badly lit tall building', and have the exact same plot as Stephen King's the Dark Tower, then go for it - just make sure you don't copy out any exact passages.

You're wrong. There have been lots of succesful lawsuits based on copying the plot of a work. See e.g. Harlan Ellison's lawsuit against the makers of the Terminator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom