Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

Shevek

Arcane
Worm said:
Maybe they aren't catering to this community, wow.

So what is your point exactly?

Seth

Novice
I wouldn’t be a true Fallout fan if I didn’t put my due cents.

First - I try to read the whole thread, but it’s way too long besides very few post actually are worth reading.

Secondly – the phrase *too early to say* can’t be good

Third – When I found out that the FOBoS were suppose to be on the console only I was pissed, then a flop with LH, the last straw was cancelling FO3 and FR games by Interplay, that was then when I really wished that the company for gamers, by gamers went down, well my wish is almost completed.
I just hope that if Bethesda will screw my Fallout (turn-based, Iso view and SPECIAL) will fallow IP

I’m too old too have great expectation, so to all hard-core fans out there just accept that we are fucked, it’s lighter on the soul. :wink:

Lasakon

Liturgist
Seth said:
I wouldn’t be a true Fallout fan if I didn’t put my due cents.

First - I try to read the whole thread, but it’s way too long besides very few post actually are worth reading.

Secondly – the phrase *too early to say* can’t be good

Third – When I found out that the FOBoS were suppose to be on the console only I was pissed, then a flop with LH, the last straw was cancelling FO3 and FR games by Interplay, that was then when I really wished that the company for gamers, by gamers went down, well my wish is almost completed.
I just hope that if Bethesda will screw my Fallout (turn-based, Iso view and SPECIAL) will fallow IP

I’m too old too have great expectation, so to all hard-core fans out there just accept that we are fucked, it’s lighter on the soul. :wink:
Unless they make their AMAZING COLOSSAL SUPER FANTASTIC MMORPG THAT WILL SINGLE HANDILY SAVE THE COMPANY!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
IF they do make their MMORPG Fallout, that's pretty much signing their own death warrent. Herve has no idea how much it costs to develop one, maintain one, and so on. If he cuts corners on an MMORPG like he's done with nearly all the other projects that have been pumped out since he took the reigns, then it's going to flop hard because there's a hell of a lot more competition in the MMORPG market than he's ever faced before.

Lasakon

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
IF they do make their MMORPG Fallout, that's pretty much signing their own death warrent. Herve has no idea how much it costs to develop one, maintain one, and so on. If he cuts corners on an MMORPG like he's done with nearly all the other projects that have been pumped out since he took the reigns, then it's going to flop hard because there's a hell of a lot more competition in the MMORPG market than he's ever faced before.
But, it has "Fallout" on the box without a numerical value following it. Considering Herve's business decisions, he obviously thinks it will sell like hot cakes covered in cocaine.

Worm

Liturgist
Reklar said:
Why are you even here Worm? You joined three days ago and already you have over 60 posts, all of which criticize and insult the members of this community. You preach tolerance and patience for Bethesda, but practice exactly the opposite by coming to RPG Codex and stirring the fire. Your point of view, or argument, whatever you wish to call it, would be best served by replying with calm, rational and logical, based on fact, posts, not joining the flamewar in progress. To date the only reasonably noninflamitory thing you have said is 'Give Bethesda a chance', which unfortunately is drowned out by the negative spam that constitutes the rest of your posts. If you want a postive reaction try being proactive and do so yourself, not because you are obligated to or owe it to anyone, but because it's more productive.
I don't think this one was really inflammatory.
Worm said:
DarkUnderlord said:
IGNPC: Can you tell us how long Bethesda has had its eye on Fallout?

Pete Hines: A pretty long time. For the majority of five years we've said, internally, that if we could pick another game to develop internally, it's been that we could do a great Fallout game. It's something we've talked about internally for a very long time.
That's nice. I don't see how that means they've been developing their idea for the game. I mean each individual person may have an idea of what kind of game they want they still need to meet and discuss it. Though I wouldn't chock up five years of thinking it would be a good game for them to develop to any real time of professional game developement.

Lasakon

Liturgist
I just wanted to share this great quote taken from a Fallout 3 disscusion at Bethesda.
Bah. Morrowind is a great game. And it has just as many uniqe NPC's as any of the Fallout games. Oh, that's right, instead of non-critical NPC's saying a generic speech bubble quote, you can actually talk to them in Morrowind.

Redguard is probably one of the best games I've ever played. And it doesn't suffer from the same 'problems' as Morrowind. (Well, the main problem is that they released it with 3DFX support or Software mode). You should also get a copy of Bloodmoon and THEN come back and tell us that the NPC's are lifeless and the world stagnant.

Unlike you, Bethesda listen to their fans, and actually implement features based on their concerns. Why do you think you can play as Khajiit and Argonians?
Gold, solid gold.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
Bloodmoon came up in another discussion I was having about FO3 on another forum, as an example of Bethesda listening to their fans and making improvements to the NPCs or whatever.

What makes it so different, if anything? I do not play Morrowind.

Lasakon

Liturgist
That and some QA jackass was talking about how Fallout Tactics was the best game in the series because it was real-time. I pray he is not allowed to do QA on Fallout 3.

There's a lot of excited people here when it comes to Fallout. We aren't a company where the employees only play fantasy RPG's since that's what we make. All of us have played Fallout 1 and 2. I myself was hooked on (edit - meant Fallout Tactics) for about 6 months...I really couldn't get enough of that game. The originals I still pop in from time to time and fool around with for a week or so.

At this stage, when this was only announced yesterday...comparing the Elder Scrolls with Fallout, which I can understand is going to be the perfectly logical response as we're now publishing it, is still like comparing apples and oranges. Take what you want out of Pete's interview, I thought it explained just enough to wet everyone's appetite.

Like I said, all of us are super excited about this. I've been reading a lot of stuff all over the internet about this press release and jesus...it's a rollercoaster of emotions. I, along with you guys, am praying that this game is great. I'm really, really hoping it is and knowing the people that I work with, as a fan I'm incredibly optimistic about it.

Nyar, I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. Understand as well, there's only so much I can talk about but it's incredibly early to say anything concrete anyway.

Oh and Fallout Tactics was my favorite out of the bunch. I know they don't directly tie in but I loved Fallout 1 and 2 because of the story. I absolutely hated the combat because real-time was a little too frantic and turn-based was a little too slow. Tactics took the worst part of Fallout (to me anyway) and turned it into a really great experience and a great game to play.

Anyway...that was just a little tangent I went off on there.

But to reiterate a little of what I was saying, it's great to be excited about this and we can theorize about what the game will be like and if Bethesda is the right company to do it all we want. I'm talking to you as a fan here and not an employee and all we can do is wait and see what the company does with it and what direction they are going to take it in. I guess I'm just venting a little after seeing what I've been seeing on other forums. You guys are actually the most cordial and rational bunch I've seen yet.

It was at the call of cthulhu forums, here's the link: http://www.callofcthulhu.com/forums/ind ... c=459&st=0

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Worm said:
Yeah, and functioning in a world from the view of your character would totally ruin the PnP experience? When I think of immersion I always think of watching my character above as if he is a piece onf a game board!
I've said this before in other threads: Why do people always assume that first-person perspective is the pinnacle of gaming achievement and therefore, any game that isn't first-person simply hasn't reached it's true potential?

Lasakon - Quoting Bethesda Forum said:
Unlike you, Bethesda listen to their fans, and actually implement features based on their concerns. Why do you think you can play as Khajiit and Argonians?
I think that quote sums it up nicely.

Here's a great quote from a fan:
Wynne said:
BOTTOM LINE, people--If you want it, ask. One thing you CAN trust Bethesda on is that they will listen to the tide of fans. As Striker said, Argonians and Khajiit were to be left out from the game as a playable race. But, as there was much outcry--not of the childish "I won't buy your game if you don't do this!" variety, just of the "We really, really want this; it is a staple of the series" variety--sure enough, the Argonians and Khajiit ended up in ES3. You can influence Bethesda with your opinions just as surely as they did.

Don't bother saying "Give us isometric" or "Don't put the game out on a console"--all they will do is tune you out, because they don't believe in limiting options for PC snobbery or in doing something they can't do well (such as isometric). But if you say something like "Hire Brian Fargo/Tim Cain/Feargus Urquhart/as many from the original series if you at all can," I can almost guarantee they'll try. And if you tell them what you loved about Fallout--i.e. the sense of humor, the detailed dialogue, the intelligent and snappy options full of character, the cool plots, the wacky/weird weapons, the non-generic NPCs, the titles, the perks--they will actually pay attention to that. So tell them. Be active on their forums.
Yep. When it comes to EXTAR OMG PLAYABLE RACES you can scream like a little girl all you want but when it comes to basic, fundamentals on what the licence is, forget about it. Oh and by the way, since when did making an isometric view become so gosh-darned hard? There's less rocket science involved in isometric then there is in first-person, I would've thought.

I'll say personally here that Fallout 1 & 2's controls could be easily handled on a console. If they make Fallout 3 isometric turn-based in the same way, there would be no problem.

Lasakon

Liturgist
It's not like turn-based semi-isometric games don't fair well in the console market. Both FFT and Disgaea's limited print runs sold very well and had to be re-released to meet demand.

Lucky

Arcane
Remember when you were a kid and you bought a game and you couldn't wait to be home to install it because you hadn't read the shit spewed on Internet forums yet, although said shit turns out to be right ?
I think Codex is killing that for me. Sometimes I wonder if blissful ignorance isn't just better. It's just video games.

edit : I've had a few games like that. Good magazine reviews and which provided great enjoyment to me, then I saw posts years and years later saying how it was actually shit. Reading the posts, you can only feel : shit, those are pretty good points, it's actually a shitty game. And then it's ruined, too late. Try enjoying it later on, when all you can see is the flaws. Now, thanks to the joy of the Internet, we can call a game on its flaws and label it as shit even years before it's released. Science really makes the world move faster.

You don't need to be blissfully ignorant, merely aware that most of the people on the internet cannot tell the difference between an important flaw and self-indulgent nitpicking. Same goes for praise. There's often no nuance to those discussions, only exaggerated opinions masquerading as critical analysis brought up by participants that don't know what they're talking about. Consequently, there's usually no reason to take it that seriously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom