Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

Greenskin13

Erudite
Worm said:
Yeah, I guess because "true fans" all agree that BethSoft simply is not able to make any game that isn't like Morrowind.

Pete Hines hasn't exactly boosted my confidence, but I think the point is that we fans would like to see Fallout go to the original developers rather than any other gaming company.

corvax

Augur
Volourn said:
"those guys are completely clueless"
Their success which is apparantly even greater than Bethseda's kinda makes you a lair in that regard. And, oh to use your own words against you, many people enjoy BIO's games. Most likely more gamers than who enjoy Bethseda's games. So, there. LOL :P

liar?
many enjoy bioware games that's true...but neither of their games comes even remotely close to fallout...talking about gameplay...bio is not the way to go...if you want a d&d combat grinder with romances for pre teens...then go ahead...
i don't want to go as far as to say that if bio would made fallout it wouldn't do good...i think it would do just fine and sell really well too...anyway it really doesn't matter...you like bioware games, i like bethesda games, i guess the only thing we have in common is that we both sometimes take heat for it

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but neither of their games comes even remotely close to fallout"

A lot closer to FO than Bethseda's games. The dialogue trees are set up the same. Focused on party play is basically the same. The view is the same. The highly detailed personal stories are the same. Interesting npcs is the same. Their combat is a lot closer to the tb FO combat than Bethseda's so even in that regard they are closer. So yeah, inc ocnlsuion, it's safe to say BIO's games are much closer to FO than Beth's game. Sorry; but 'tis the truth.

"bio is not the way to go...if you want a d&d combat grinder with romances for pre teens...then go ahead... "

LMAO Isn't the biggest cry for the Betsheda Apologists is not to automatically assume they'll make FO3 like the ES series yet you accuse BIo of ding exatcly that. LMAO Besdies, I like BIO games IN SPITE OF the romances; but yeah they'd probably be romance consideirng how popualr it is. Besides, romance and crap were a small part of FO series.

"...you like bioware games"

That's the key right there. Bio would surely 'put their mark" on FO if they had gotten the Fo liecnes; but seriosuly it wouldn't bother me so much as I enjoy their games as they are (though they could be better of course). I cna't say the same for Bethseda. That's the main problem I have with all this; not that they'd make changes (I expect that); but ti's the changes they'll make that worries me so. And, the fatc in 20 years Betsheda has made ZERO games I've enjoyed. Zero.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
boss stops by the desk today at four o'clock and sez:

'hey, you hear bethesda got the fallout license?'

'uh... yea, i'm aware. whatcha think about it?'

'they'll go bankrupt before it gets to market.'

'huh? why?'

'well, the cost of bananas for the thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters must be in the millions. you can't have overhead like that and work on two projects at the same time.'

gingerale came out of my nose.

corvax

Augur
Volourn said:
"but neither of their games comes even remotely close to fallout"
A lot closer to FO than Bethseda's games. The dialogue trees are set up the same. Focused on party play is basically the same. The view is the same. The highly detailed personal stories are the same. Interesting npcs is the same. Their combat is a lot closer to the tb FO combat than Bethseda's so even in that regard they are closer. So yeah, inc ocnlsuion, it's safe to say BIO's games are much closer to FO than Beth's game. Sorry; but 'tis the truth.
dialog? what dialog? you had no options? you were limited to your options? the options didn't matter...combat combat combat...oh the view-whatever...stories-yes...interesting npc's-no boring...combat PLEASE-hackfest...bio games are way off...
bethesda games are off too...in my irrelevant opinion though beth. has much greater potential than bioware...anyway it really doesn't matter at this point anymore

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"dialog? what dialog?"

You lie.

"you had no options? "

You lie.

"the options didn't matter"

You lie.

"combat combat combat"

And? The Fos didn't lack in combat eitehr. Your point?

"oh the view-whatever"

Very important in this discussion.

"stories-yes..."

You tell the truth for once. WOWSERS!

"interesting npc's-no boring..."

Opinion. that's cool. however, for a funny reason, I'd wager we'd see a lot more BIO npcs make people's favorite npcs list than Bethseda npcs. Just a hunch.

"bio games are way off... "

Point. Not. found. Not as far off comapred to Bethseda.

"in my irrelevant opinion though beth. has much greater potential than bioware..."

This doesn't help me look forward to FO3 which is sad becuase the FO series is tied for my favorite series of all times yet a company that has amde ZERO games I've enjoyed is now making it. A sad day in my gaming past time. :cry:

Jed

Cipher
Worm said:
I mean guys imagine for a second the things a first person prespective could add, It would totally change sneaking, combat, and stealing in ways that make them more than a few dice rolls. Lower preception could make your characters vision in game fuzzy, cover to avoid damage, a character with high preception being able to see farther, oh and the screen large box of omnipotence you have around you is gone!

Frankly I think it could be damn great.
If you don't want to roll dice, wait for Half Life 2 and get off of Fallout's teat. One of the great aspects of Fallout that will be destroyed in Bethesda's butchery will be the utter loss of that great PnP feeling FO had...

corvax

Augur
@Volourn
you lie, you lie, you lie...very thoughtful of you
c'mon you couldn't do shit without combat in bg, that was your only option, sorry there was a second one-you could run away...at least in fallout you could get out of numerous situations without combat...dialog-c'mon it always led to combat, it was meaningless...but if you enjoyed that then good for you, i'm happy for you...sorry that you won't enjoy fo3 by bethesda...oh well

edit: i'm not gonna go back and forth but you're so freaking corny

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"you lie, you lie, you lie...very thoughtful of you"

If the shoe fits; wear it.

" that was your only option"

No. Another lie.

"dialog-c'mon it always led to combat"

Stop lying please.

"at least in fallout you could get out of numerous situations without combat"

I ahve never denied FO having more role-playing than BG. Stop trying to change the subject. our discussion is about whether or not BIo is closer to the 'FO idea" than Bethseda. You have yet given one example on why Bethseda is a better fit for FO than BIO other than the fatc you like them more. i have given tons for why BIO is the better fit. Go figure.

"sorry that you won't enjoy fo3 by bethesda"

One of your very few considerate, and non trolling points ever. Good job.

Shevek

Arcane
Yeah, I guess because "true fans" all agree that BethSoft simply is not able to make any game that isn't like Morrowind.

I think they can make pretty good Terminator games too. But..Fallout...no. The dev even said they wouldnt be making FO3 isometric since they have no experience with isometric games. I very much doubt they have any experience with alot of things that make Fallout what it is so why make Fallout?

Ortchel

Liturgist
Haha oh god, this is great. What an amazing thread.

SUCK IT, FANBOYS.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Next time think before you post. Dick suckers DO exist on the 'net ya know.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Worm said:
I mean guys imagine for a second the things a first person prespective could add, It would totally change sneaking, combat, and stealing in ways that make them more than a few dice rolls.

Yeah, it would totally change everything about Fallout, and not for the better. One of the key elements of Fallout was that it was a tabletop PnP style experience. Originally designed around Steve Jackson's GURPS, right down to the hexagonal system of movement and combat.

The whole point of a CRPG like Fallout is that dice rolls determine events - just like table top PnP. What you're talking about is virtual LARPS, which is lame.

Lower preception could make your characters vision in game fuzzy, cover to avoid damage, a character with high preception being able to see farther,

Don't forget great things like DEXTERITY BASED JUMP PUZZLES! Woohoo!

UToh and the screen large box of omnipotence you have around you is gone!

Yeah, instead, you'll be placed in a situation where your head is in a box only allowing a 90 FOV and is also fixed because of that neck brace you're wearing.

Voss

Erudite
Its omniscience. And thats not a particularly accurate description anyway.

In other news, rather than spawning another thread about it, I thought I'd share here...
Penny Arcade is commenting on the Fallout Bethesda fun. Latest comic is up now, comments will probably be up tomorrow around noon.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3

taks

Liturgist
there were somewhere around 1000 posts over at the bethesda forum earlier today. 8 hours ago or so... they were on the FOURTH thread at the time, with 200+ in it... 514 in the previous i think... unbelievable.

taks

Volourn

Pretty Princess
So what if I am or am not? What's it to you? Obviously you surely like your dick sucked sicne you obviously asked for it?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sweet Zombie Jeebus, I go afk for a day and come back to find Bethseda has dug up Fallout and is preparing to skullfuck it.

Call me a cynical bastard, but you dont pay for a license and then learn a new development skill set to suit said license, you buy a license to release a "slam dunk" with what you allready know how to do.

The quality of Bethsedas product are arguable (I'm not arguing sales, hell Deer Hunter sold millions) and even fans recognize slipping Fallout into TES packaging would suck the sweat off Michael Moores balls.

Ortchel

Liturgist
You certainly live up to your reputation, Volourn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom