Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

corvax

Augur
hussy ??? anyway

well if you want to go that rout...fallout 3 made by anyone else but the original creators (not just troika but everyone involved) will never be equivalent to the first one...regardless if special, tb combat are used...that's my opinion...

so we have to settle for the next best thing...yeah it's not an ideal situation but hopefully the devs will be able to capture most of the fallout essence with or without special...and that can indeed be done...it's hard but not impossible

dunduks

Liturgist
Worm said:
Furthermore the only people who have trouble with Fallout rip offs is Trioka. BethSoft hasn't made any attempt at anything like Fallout, so how can you just sit and assume they won't get most of the parts right?
Pretty much becouse if you never ever have wrote a horror book and do it for a first time it will be either a terrible attempt or mediocre at best.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Worm said:
Greenskin13 said:
hussar said:
bethesda seems reasonable to step up

How? Bethesda themselves already stated they're not good with isometric top down games, which Fallout was. What other things about Fallout aren't they good at? Character interection? TB comabt? The SPECIAL system?
I could swear I posted this before.

Caring about the prespective of the game is pedantic to the point of absurdity cubed. Hating a sequel simply because they don't follow the display convention of the prequels is just idiotic.

Let's try using some reading comprehension, okay?

Focus on the part RIGHT AFTER I say they have stated that they are not good at Isometric games. Now follow along as I ask what else they might not be good at, and therefore not willing to add to FO3. I listed three things: Character interaction, TB combat and the SPECIAL system. Got that? Now here's the crux. If BethSoft isn't willing to pick up Isometric views because they don't work well with it, will they toss out anything else that was in Fallout because they aren't good with those things either?

Hussy said:
so we have to settle for the next best thing.

Saint brought up a very good point. Troika was very close to winning the Fallout liscense, but the people over at BethSoft decided to outbid them. Sure, even if Troika won, we probably wouldn't get the ENTIRE original FO team, but we would get three very influential people from the core team. This to me would be 'settling for the next best thing'. And lets to forget that there are many people here who believe that even BethSoft isn't the next ideal developer. So we're not too pleased with the dish they served us.

Worm

Liturgist
dunduks said:
Worm said:
Furthermore the only people who have trouble with Fallout rip offs is Trioka. BethSoft hasn't made any attempt at anything like Fallout, so how can you just sit and assume they won't get most of the parts right?
Pretty much becouse if you never ever have wrote a horror book and do it for a first time it will be either a terrible attempt or mediocre at best.
Yeah, but what if you have wrote a bunch of other pretty good books and already have a few Horror books with characters, and conventions you can build off of? Oh, it's still gonna suck. Okay.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Worm said:
Caring about the prespective of the game is pedantic to the point of absurdity cubed. Hating a sequel simply because they don't follow the display convention of the prequels is just idiotic.

Actually, Worm, the above statement makes you a complete idiot. Perspective actually dictates a lot of the design and mechanics of the game play. That's like saying you can still make Doom3 as a 2D side scroller. The mechanics are totally different for each, as is the design.

Considering Fallout is a sizable achievement, which Bethesda has never managed to even remotely come close to topping even though they've pumped out several CRPGs over the last decade, I'd say the odds are closer to saying they'll fail than get it right the first time.

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:
Greenskin13 said:
hussar said:
bethesda seems reasonable to step up

How? Bethesda themselves already stated they're not good with isometric top down games, which Fallout was. What other things about Fallout aren't they good at? Character interection? TB comabt? The SPECIAL system?
I could swear I posted this before.

Let's try using some reading comprehension, okay?

Focus on the part RIGHT AFTER I say they have stated that they are not good at Isometric games. Now follow along as I ask what else they might not be good at, and therefore not willing to add to FO3. I listed three things: Character interaction, TB combat and the SPECIAL system. Got that? Now here's the crux. If BethSoft isn't willing to pick up Isometric views because they don't work well with it, will they toss out anything else that was in Fallout because they aren't good with those things either?
Okay, so they don't like a certain camera position. That therefore bleeds into things like Character Interaction, Time Based combat, and S.P.E.C.I.A.L that create the very NATURE of Fallout? I mean it's a nice line of suppisition, and I did follow it, but I don't see how it is supported by the fact that they don't prefer a certain view.

Worm

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Worm said:

Actually, Worm, the above statement makes you a complete idiot. Perspective actually dictates a lot of the design and mechanics of the game play. That's like saying you can still make Doom3 as a 2D side scroller. The mechanics are totally different for each, as is the design.
Oh, in a game that has a genre that mentions prespective it matters. But not in an RPG. You can still make a turn based game in first person 3d.

suibhne

Erudite
Worm said:
Oh, in a game that has a genre that mentions prespective it matters. But not in an RPG. You can still make a turn based game in first person 3d.

Sure. You know what really convinced me, though? You know what really pushed me over the top on that one? Yep, it was all of the examples you provided.

Time out. With the exception of Wiz 8 (which isn't really 1st-person-perspective), can you name a single turn-based 1st-person-perspective game? Tell me how you think it would work, because I'm awfully curious. (NB: I'm going to feel really stupid when you all give me dozens of old-school examples.)

You know, there's a reason that Gaider & Co. are switching to a more top-down perspective for combat in Dragon Age. Going in the opposite direction for FO3 doesn't strike me as the best idea I've heard this year.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Worm, I'm trying to get those most out of the quote by reading the whole thing:

IGNPC: Can we expect something similar to the work done on Morrowind, in terms of that style of game experience?

Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.

Okay. Look at the question. It deals with style in general, not camera perspective. Pete replies with that they're going to stick with what they do best. He gives an example of this by showing that they will not be using an isometric view. Now here's my speculation: BethSoft is willing to dump parts of Fallout from there preference. Now to you, isometric view isn't a part of the 'nature' of Fallout. But it was important for the hex style TB combat. Now from an FP view, they have already stated they're not making huge leaps of faith. A first person TB game sound like a huge one to me from a company that isn't even willing to change a camera angle, so that'll probably be canned. You see where I'm getting to?

TFVanguard

Liturgist
suibhne said:
Time out. With the exception of Wiz 8 (which isn't really 1st-person-perspective), can you name a single turn-based 1st-person-perspective game? Tell me how you think it would work, because I'm awfully curious. (NB: I'm going to feel really stupid when you all give me dozens of old-school examples.)

Man, there were a few. I want to say 'Bard's Tale' but I can't remember if it had a 'combat mode' or not. There were a lot of turn-based Dungeon Master style games back in the day - though DM itself was more or less real-time. A bunch on the Amiga, but I can't remember their names anymore...

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
Worm, I'm trying to get those most out of the quote by reading the whole thing:

IGNPC: Can we expect something similar to the work done on Morrowind, in terms of that style of game experience?

Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.

Okay. Look at the question. It deals with style in general, not camera perspective. Pete replies with that they're going to stick with what they do best. He gives an example of this by showing that they will not be using an isometric view. Now here's my speculation: BethSoft is willing to dump parts of Fallout from there preference. Now to you, isometric view isn't a part of the 'nature' of Fallout. But it was important for the hex style TB combat. Now from an FP view, they have already stated they're not making huge leaps of faith. A first person TB game sound like a huge one to me from a company that isn't even willing to change a camera angle, so that'll probably be canned. You see where I'm getting to?
"isn't even willing to change a camera angle"
Though a camera angle is such a big change it effect various gameplay and game mechanics issues! >_< I'm being assaulted on all fronts here.
He said technologies. I'm guessing it's going to be FPS but I don't they mean it's going to be exactly like Morrowind in every way. Simply similar to points of their style well mantaining the Fallout feel. Oh, and why can't a hex grid appear on the ground when combat starts in a first person game?

suibhne said:
Worm said:

Sure. You know what really convinced me, though? You know what really pushed me over the top on that one? Yep, it was all of the examples you provided.

You know, there's a reason that Gaider & Co. are switching to a more top-down perspective for combat in Dragon Age. Going in the opposite direction for FO3 doesn't strike me as the best idea I've heard this year.
I never said "You can still make a turn based game in first person 3d look at all the people who have done it before!". I'm saying it's possible. When combat happened a colored circle comes up around you on the ground showing how far you can move and how many AP it takes up and then your weapons would be there and you'd be free to physically AIM at a body part and your precentage would appear for it.

taks

Liturgist
uh, the old BT games hardly qualify as their "combat mode" was nothing more than a picture of the critter you're battling in the viewpane. a majority of the major crpg titles in history have been isometric with the obvious exceptions being Might and Magic (6 through 9 at least) and ultima 9... well, ultima 8, but that was more like super mario brothers than an rpg...

taks

suibhne

Erudite
TFVanguard said:
Man, there were a few. I want to say 'Bard's Tale' but I can't remember if it had a 'combat mode' or not. There were a lot of turn-based Dungeon Master style games back in the day - though DM itself was more or less real-time. A bunch on the Amiga, but I can't remember their names anymore...

That's true, and I started recalling all of the earlier Wizardry titles I played (which is pretty much the full extent of my old-school experience). Maybe I spoke too quickly. Still, those weren't really TB in the sense we refer to it now, and I'm highly skeptical about any of those systems (including Wiz 8's) working for a Fallout setting.

It's true that most the combat wasn't highly tactical, not when compared to a more sophisticated combat engine like that in ToEE. Maybe I'm just a hidebound adherent to seeing my character in a landscape context rather than looking through his or her eyes. When you start looking at combats involving 8 or 10 antagonists, though, which certainly happened in Fallout, that situational awareness becomes very, very important, whether you're leading a party or flying solo.

taks

Liturgist
from a functional standpoint, they actually qualified as phase based, not turned based. i.e. everybody picks their "action" for the next round then the round kicks off and each PC/critter goes in order of his/her/its initiative.

this style, however, can't even be remotely compared since it was nothing more than text based combat... no dimensionality at all (though they did add "depth" to the critters in BT2 and BT3).

taks

Greenskin13

Erudite
Worm said:
Though a camera angle is such a big change it effect various gameplay and game mechanics issues! >_< I'm being assaulted on all fronts here.
He said technologies. I'm guessing it's going to be FPS but I don't they mean it's going to be exactly like Morrowind in every way. Simply similar to points of their style well mantaining the Fallout feel. Oh, and why can't a hex grid appear on the ground when combat starts in a first person game?

You misunderstand me. I don't mean that the camera angle is something minor. It's not. What I mean is that I see a lot more TB games done from a top-down perspective, like Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm, and GASP, Fallout than I do see First Person TB. The only one people mention is Wiz8, which I've never played. Now instead of going for the iso method, they're going to go for First Person View. TB on an FPV? Sure, it's possible. But considering BethSoft won't be using Iso view, is it any more likely that they'll be keeping the TB as well? There, hope that adds clarity.

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
Worm said:

You misunderstand me. I don't mean that the camera angle is something minor. It's not. What I mean is that I see a lot more TB games done from a top-down perspective, like Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm, and GASP, Fallout! Now instead of going for that method, they're going to go for First Person View. TB on an FPV? Sure, it's possible. But considering BethSoft won't be using Iso view, is it any more likely that they'll be keeping the TB as well? There, hope that adds clarity.
I was joking about that. I understand that you believe the view is important though you are expecting them to immediately make the important choice as you want. I don't see why the game being first person means much frankly. I always though First Person games were more immersive and that is indeed Beth's MO.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Worm, the whole FPV thing is only an example. What I'm really getting at is BethSoft's attitude. While it is possible that this PR guy is talking from his ass, but if he does really represent BethSoft, then I'm concerned that we'll be losing a lot more than just the camera angle.

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
Worm, the whole FPV thing is only an example. What I'm really getting at is BethSoft's attitude. While it is possible that this PR guy is talking from his ass, but if he does really represent BethSoft, then I'm concerned that we'll be losing a lot more than just the camera angle.
That's because you immediately accepted the worst circumstance.

Jed

Cipher
Wizardry 8 was phase-based. Big difference here folks. And as someone who tried to play it, it sucked. Loved having critters flanking me and hitting me from behind at will. I'm gonna make it clear: FP is not tactical for a TB cRPG. DaggerFallout is coming, make no bones about it. If Bethesda has any sense, much less any respect as the "huge fans" the describe themselves as, they will publish the game and contract out the dev to either Troika or Obsidian. Fuck, I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'd rather BioWare have it than Bethesda. Give it to Nival, for fuck's sake (or whoever made Silent Storm).

PS- I really like Morrowind (for what it is). I played both expansions.

PPS- To the moron that criticized Arcanum, Morrowind also has more than a few mandatory dungeon crawls.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fuck, I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'd rather BioWare have it than Bethesda."

Ha. Even X is feelin' the BIO lovin'.

This may be bad news for FO fans; but this has been great news for BIO. They are appreciated at some level even if they're ragged on. see, Betsheda doesn't get picked on much here, and that's because the Codex has given up on them eons ago. They still count BIO as part of the big happy RPG family.

Anyways, it's too bad, as I don't think BIO was all in a rush to get the FO license. Even when bugged on their boards the closest we got was a "Meh. I liked the FO games; but really wouldn't want to develop it because of the fans ragging on us, and more importantly we're more into making our own IPs now."

GO BIO GO!

corvax

Augur
some of you would pick bio over bethesda ??? wtf ???
i'm not sure how bio would go about developing fallout but i do think they would fare much worse than bethesda...those guys are completely clueless

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"those guys are completely clueless"

Their success which is apparantly even greater than Bethseda's kinda makes you a lair in that regard. And, oh to use your own words against you, many people enjoy BIO's games. Most likely more gamers than who enjoy Bethseda's games. So, there. LOL :P

Not to mention, they can actually make different type of games and not be stuck in one. Heck, they went from making medical software to games like SS/MDK2 to BG series to NWN, and now to their own IPs instead of stealing others' work legally! LOL

Worm

Liturgist
xJEDx said:
DaggerFallout is coming, make no bones about it.
Yeah, NWN-out! We can do this with all things OMG IT IS GOING TO BE THE FALLOUT OF ELEMENTAL EVIL! It's not clever stop.
Though I could see how you'd think this with Bethseda's history with recieving licenses for big games and botching them.
xJEDx said:
If Bethesda has any sense, much less any respect as the "huge fans" the describe themselves as,they will publish the game and contract out the dev to either Troika or Obsidian.
Yeah, I guess because "true fans" all agree that BethSoft simply is not able to make any game that isn't like Morrowind
xJEDx said:
PPS- To the moron that criticized Arcanum, Morrowind also has more than a few mandatory dungeon crawls.
Yeah, and they aren't really really difficult and a pain in the ass. Though the ones in Arcanum suck. I think loads of things in Arcanum suck, so what?

xJEDx said:
Wizardry 8 was phase-based. Big difference here folks. And as someone who tried to play it, it sucked. Loved having critters flanking me and hitting me from behind at will. I'm gonna make it clear: FP is not tactical for a TB cRPG.
Wait, you couldn't turn around in the game? If they do make Fallout 3 First Person I'm sure they'll let you turn around.

Worm

Liturgist
I mean guys imagine for a second the things a first person prespective could add, It would totally change sneaking, combat, and stealing in ways that make them more than a few dice rolls. Lower preception could make your characters vision in game fuzzy, cover to avoid damage, a character with high preception being able to see farther, oh and the screen large box of omnipotence you have around you is gone!

Frankly I think it could be damn great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom