Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Spazmo, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3; Herve Caen

A <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com/news/pressrelease_071004.htm>press release</a> appearing on the <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com/index.html>Bethesda Softworks</a> website is announcing that Bethesda, makers of the... debatable Morrowind, have <b>licensed Fallout from Interplay and plan to develop and publish their own Fallout 3</b>. Here's the press release:
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote>July 10, 2004 (Rockville, MD) -- Bethesda Softworks® announced today that it will develop and publish Fallout 3 -- a sequel to the highly popular Fallout role-playing game franchise. Bethesda acquired the rights to the Fallout franchise from Interplay Entertainment Corp. (OTC Bulletin Board: IPLY) in a deal that awards Bethesda unrestricted worldwide rights to the Fallout franchise on the PC, home consoles, handhelds, and other media, with the option to develop and publish additional sequels.
    <br>
    <br>
    “We’re extremely excited about this opportunity and what it means both for Bethesda and for Fallout fans around the world,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. “Fallout is one the great RPG franchises. Millions of Fallout games have been sold worldwide, and fans have been eagerly awaiting the release of a Fallout 3 title. Bethesda’s proven expertise in this genre, building on our experience and the tremendous success we have enjoyed with our cutting-edge Elder Scrolls® series, will enable us to create the next chapter of Fallout that is worthy of the franchise.”
    <br>
    <br>
    Originally released in 1997, Fallout places a player in the role of a Vault-dweller, who ventures from his secluded, underground survival Vault into a post-apocalyptic world of mutants, radiation, gangs and violence. The game has been widely hailed as one of the outstanding role-playing games and video games of all time with its unique gameplay, style, and setting.
    <br>
    <br>
    Commenting on this development, Interplay Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Herve Caen said, “This is a good agreement for both companies and for gamers. Although several parties had a high level of interest in licensing Fallout, we are most impressed by Bethesda’s execution of role-playing titles. Bethesda is an ideal steward of the Fallout franchise.”
    <br>
    <br>
    Fallout 3 will be developed by Bethesda along with the next chapter of The Elder Scrolls, both under the direction of Todd Howard, executive producer of The Elder Scrolls. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® won every national and international award of note in 2002, including Game of the Year and RPG of the Year, and is one of the best-selling games ever released on Xbox.
    <br>
    <br>
    “We are overjoyed,” said Howard. “Fallout is one of my favorite games, and we plan to develop a visually stunning and original game for Fallout 3 with all the hallmarks of a great RPG: player choice, engaging story, and non-linearity.”
    <br>
    <br>
    Future announcements about the release of Fallout 3 will be made as work on the title progresses.</blockquote>
    <br>
    <br>
    This had better be some kind of sick joke. Fucking Bethesda is worst fit I could possibly imagine to make Fallout 3. I honestly feel a bit sick.
    <br>
    <br>

<br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>
    ^ Top  
  2. plin Liturgist

plin
    holy shit man. Didn't see that coming.

too bad it's not april fools...
    ^ Top  
  3. Transcendent One Liturgist

Transcendent One
    Bethesda, you mean that same company behind shit like Buggerfall and Marrowind?

Dear God.
    ^ Top  
  4. Jed Cipher

Jed
    Goodbye dialog trees...
    ^ Top  
  5. plin Liturgist

plin
    You never know, they could do it justice. If it's one of his favorite games, I would think he knows why people love it so much.
    ^ Top  
  6. mathboy Liturgist

mathboy
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Says the guy who thought FOBOS was a good idea.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    ^ Top  
  7. Flink Liturgist

Flink
    Holy CRAP! I almost had a heart attack... I think I'd better go lie down...
    ^ Top  
  8. Araanor Liturgist

Araanor
    What. The. Fuck.

Seriously.
    ^ Top  
  9. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    This is worse news than FOBOS. I mean, Bethesda can feel free to go and make their own really shitty games, but could they please keep their hands off Fallout?
    ^ Top  
  10. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ^ Top  
  11. Flink Liturgist

Flink
    It's time, ones again, for the Fallout fans to take a big quaff of ye olde pig urine...
    ^ Top  
  12. undead dolphin hacker Liturgist

undead dolphin hacker
    This is fucking awful. Idiots who loved shit-eating titles like Morrowind and KOTOR are cheering over this--if that's not proof enough that this sucks an unshaved arab transsexual's cock, I don't know what is.
    ^ Top  
  13. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "Idiots who loved KOTOR are cheering over this"

Liar.
    ^ Top  
  14. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    Let's not get derailed here--the point is that Bethesda sucks.

I bet Herve went for this knowing full well it'd piss the fans off. I can easily picture him signing a contract and then muttering, "From hell's heart, I stab at thee, fan community!"
    ^ Top  
  15. Barghest Augur Patron

Barghest
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    The right fucking people to produce another XBox twitch-fest RPG-lite abortion then? Have Bethesda been taking the dirty Microsoft $ then for this title?
    ^ Top  
  16. Transcendent One Liturgist

Transcendent One
    Fallout 3 will be like webpages of the Wikipedia encyclopedia *shudder* I think I'm starting to get a fever. Maybe it's just hot outside.
    ^ Top  
  17. Barghest Augur Patron

Barghest
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    This thread is just going to go on & on & on etc etc...
    ^ Top  
  18. evilmonkey Liturgist

evilmonkey
    the final exit is always a valid opinion here - don't play it.

I've said it, and others have said it - what ever happens FO3 wont be in the spirit of FO1, and it would be better of to let it die - and why not just let it die, even if others cashcows the name.
    ^ Top  
  19. mr. lamat Liturgist

mr. lamat
    if it's got the same mod capability as morrowind, there's a chance it might not be total shite.

chance. small chance.

i will hope for something decent.
    ^ Top  
  20. Araanor Liturgist

Araanor
    Spaz, the first paragraph says they actually acquired the rights to Fallout, not licensed it. Ack.

A pox on the twisted black soul of Herve. I can see him doing it just to spite us.

EDIT: All right, seems I read too much into it. IPLY statement is more exact.
    ^ Top  
  21. DemonKing Prophet

DemonKing
    Does this mean Herve can continue development of F.O.O.L internally from his shoebox somewhere in the middle of the road? :roll:

LOL - so Herve wants us to beleive that he went for the company which was the best fit for the game rather than the one that anteed up the most $$$.

Also has FO really sold "millions" of copies? Maybe between 1-2 million max. if you count Tactics (and even if you exclude the 16 copies of FOBOS sold).

Frankly of all the CRPG companies out there Bethsheba is the worst fit imaginable IMHO. Even Bioware would do a better job. I guess Obsidian and Troika just didn't have the resources to licence it themselves.

Let's pray Bethsheba contracts one of these two companies to work on it.
    ^ Top  
  22. evilmonkey Liturgist

evilmonkey
    dare we hope on a X-Box exlusive game, so that this site if anything find it self to cover it? :&
    ^ Top  
  23. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    Just when we thought that things couldn't get any worse.....another crime committed by fucking Herve.

"Although several parties had a high level of interest in licensing Fallout, we are most impressed by Bethesda’s execution of role-playing titles" means many parties tried to buy it but we have managed to squeeze the most out of Bethesda.
    ^ Top  
  24. Transcendent One Liturgist

Transcendent One
    Bioware at least will have real dialog rather than a Fallout-themed wikipedia
    ^ Top  
  25. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    I quit.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)