Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda Threatens Minecraft Creator Over Scrolls Name

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>In a surprising turn of events Bethesda's lawyers decided to threaten the minecraft dev over using the word "Scrolls". Their noble attempts and unending efforts to uphold the law are admirable.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Just got a letter from Bethesta's lawyers. They claim "Scrolls" infringes on their trademark and everyone will confuse it with Skyrim. I still &lt;3 Bethesda. This is hopefully just lawyers being lawyers.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://twitpic.com/61cckm" target="_blank">Here, have a look</a>. It's swedish though. Maybe one of the resident swedes can give a run-down.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104162-bethesda-threatens-minecraft-creator-over-scrolls-name.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

racofer

Thread Incliner
DU better change this site's name before Bioware sues his ass for the usage of the word "Codex", which everybody knows is related to the DA and ME series.

Cassidy

Arcane
No matter who loses, we win.

Single-player LARPing simulator and dumbed down take on Oblivion, which was already a dumbed down Morrowind, which was already a dumbed down Daggerfall, versus a multiplayer LEGO LARPing simulator and incredibly dumbed down take on Dwarf Fortress milking money from SA tards. I'd shed no tears no matter how this lawsuit ends.

Micmu

Magister
In a surprising turn of events Bethesda's lawyers decided to threaten the minecraft dev over using the word "Scrolls"
Ah, the Brave New World. :P
I still <3 Bethesda.
I hope this buttface gets jewed out of every penny he has got.

Luzur

Good Sir
send as recommended

trademark infringement

I write to you as a representative of the company ZeniMax Media Inc.

My company creates and publishes interactive entertainment. Including: video game consoles, computers, and handheld / wireless devices. The company has a long and successful history and is behind several award-winning games, including the world famous game series THE ELDER SCROLLS.

The brand THE ELDER SCROLLS is protected, among other various entertainment goods and services, including computer and video games. Within the EU, is my company is the owner of the registered community trademarks with the registry nr 28400098 and 8283161.

it has come to my company's knowledge that Mojang AB is using the name SCROLLS in the advertising of a coming computer/videogame. the name SCROLLS shows major visual, phonetic and conceptual likenesses with my company's trademark ELDER SCROLLS. the likenesses is strengthened by that in the entertainment business, included the computer/videogame industry, it is common that software and services with a commercial origin is marketed with features that is constructed from common brand elements.

then the lawyer of Bethesda lists some known trademarks like Mario and Warcraft as examples and state that it is a high risk that consumers will think that MineCraft Scrolls is a DLC to Elder Scrolls or derive from the game series and/or Bethesda/Zenimax Media INC.

does this mean that every time we type OBLIVION, ELDER SCROLLS, SCROLLS, ELDER, THE, TES and whatever Bethesda's lawyers around the world smells gold?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So basically since Zenimax/Bethesda are incapable of making good games, the only way for them to make profit is to sue anyone and everything?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaesun said:
So basically since Zenimax/Bethesda are incapable of making good games, the only way for them to make profit is to sue anyone and everything?

Maybe Bethesda needs to hire another celebrity for Skyrim and they're too short on cash at this point.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Luzur said:
MineCraft Scrolls
:retarded:
Wasn't Scrolls a completely separate product of Mojang, a card game in vein of Magic the Gathering or something? What the fuck.. next up Blizzard sues Mojang for using the word Craft
Also you construct stuff, just as you do with additional pylons. Striking similarities.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"It has come to our client's attention that your company use the word SCROLLS which is similar to THE ELDER SCROLLS."

Wow, I hope Mojäng tells them to bring this shit on. :lol:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In the next riveting episode of Greedy Litigious Assholes, Blizzard sues Airbus for calling their products "aircraft", claiming that people will confuse it with the word "craft"in their upcoming super mega smash-hit World of Diablocraft.

Stay tuned.

Edit: Dammit, someone did the craft joke while I was typing this.

Luzur

Good Sir
ksjav said:
Luzur said:
MineCraft Scrolls
:retarded:
Wasn't Scrolls a completely separate product of Mojang, a card game in vein of Magic the Gathering or something? What the fuck.. next up Blizzard sues Mojang for using the word Craft
Also you construct stuff, just as you do with additional pylons. Striking similarities.

i am not keeping track of what Mojang is up to, old chap.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Now codexers with monocle, list all games that had scrolls in theirs name.

memebot3.0b

Educated
Man Sues Bethesda Over Seizures Caused by Oblivion
May 11, 2011

A former U.S. Navy pilot says that a video game gave him a grand mal seizure that caused him to lose his flight status. John Ryan McLaughlin says he was playing the game Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion when "strobe lights" within the game (we assume he means bright multi-colored, flashing lights) gave him "a grand mal seizure for the first time in his life," causing excruciating pain and breaking a bone. The former F-18 pilot, says the seizures caused him to permanently lose his flying status.

He is suing Bethesda Softworks and its corporate parent, Zenimax Media, and Sony Computer Entertainment, which makes the Playstation 3. He apparently suffered the inuries on March 28, 2010. McLaughlin claims that the seizures were caused by the "defective product."

"The product was so designed that it exceeded the upper acceptable limit of more than 3 flashes over a 1 second period, as well as acceptable spatial pattern and luminance flash limits. These risks were not made known to the plaintiff and/or an ordinary consumer prior to the time of purchase," according to the defendant's lawyer. The defective and dangerous condition of the product, and that it was unsafe for the use and purpose for which it was intended when used by certain consumers as recommended, was expected and reasonably anticipated by the defendants, and each of them, or in the exercise of ordinary and reasonable care should have been known and discovered by defendants, and each of them."

McLaughlin is seeking "punitive and damages for negligence, breach of warranty, and product liability. He is being represented by Dennis Minna of Santa Ana.

Source: Court House News

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-05 ... ures.shtml

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is what happens when lawyers control the government.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom