Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda Studios terminates Fallout Online with extreme prejudice

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Herve Caen is fucked. That 2 Million isn't going to do shit. He can TRY to sell more Fallout products, but lol at that move. He has nothing other than Interplays debt. This is the final nail in Interplays coffin.

mondblut

Arcane
ZeniMax will pay Interplay $2 million as consideration in the settlement

My prediction: Beth finally bought out the MMO rights from Herve for a fuckton of moneys, just what Herve wanted in the first place since he ended up being unable to do shit with the MMO license. He basically held the MMO license hostage while Bethsoft wept over all the unexisting cash they would have made if they did a Fallout MMO. They wanted to wrestle it out for free, but the legal force was strong in this one.

IP squatting at its best :troll:

Aren't you proud to have minds like mine on the Kodex? :lol:

I am sorta surprised Herve settled for mere 2M though. Thought he'll drive a harder bargain. But hey, 2M is still a good profit from a 3-page flash website and a quarterly updated mailing list.

mondblut

Arcane
Herve Caen is fucked. That 2 Million isn't going to do shit. He can TRY to sell more Fallout products, but lol at that move. He has nothing other than Interplays debt. This is the final nail in Interplays coffin.

Are you stupid or something? Why would he give a flying fuck over some dead company and its debts? He cashed out and walked out a rich and happy man.

thesoup

Arcane
Can't wait for the future award winning Fallout 4™ title from the award winning Bethesda Softworks® in 2013.

DragoFireheart

Aren't you proud to have minds like mine on the Kodex? :lol:

I am sorta surprised Herve settled for mere 2M though. Thought he'll drive a harder bargain. But hey, 2M is still a good profit from a 3-page flash website and a quarterly updated mailing list.

That money isn't going to do him shit beyond getting Interplay out of the hole it is in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplay_Entertainment#Shutdown

As part of one of their 2007 quarterly reports, Interplay announced that their revenues had risen astronomically, due almost entirely to the sale of their Fallout intellectual property to Bethesda Softworks back in mid-April. With the sale and other changes, the company is now almost debt free, with its debt at a reported $3 million today, compared to the $59 million from 2001.[18]
3 - 2 = 1 million left Herve. I highly doubt sales from now until 2013 will pull him out of the hole.

Are you stupid or something? Why would he give a flying fuck over some dead company and its debts? He cashed out and walked out a rich and happy man.

He's stuck with the debt unless another company is willing to buy Interplay. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Xi

Arcane
3 - 2 = 1 million left Herve. I highly doubt sales from now until 2013 will pull him out of the hole.

It's a corporation. Herve will pay himself, then file for Bankruptcy again. This time, he'll probably shut it down for good though. However, he will personally walk away with probably a cool million dollars(or close to).

DragoFireheart

It's a corporation. Herve will pay himself, then file for Bankruptcy again. This time, he'll probably shut it down for good though. However, he will personally walk away with probably a cool million dollars(or close to).

He wouldn't be able to keep the 2 million if he files for bankruptcy. Right? Or is there some law that allows him to get around that issue?

If he made 4 million and paid off the Interplay debt with 1 million left over I'd agree that he Herved Bethesda, but I'm thinking he realized that Bethesda was going to try and rain his already limited funds. I just don't see how Herve made out.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Can't wait for the future award winning Fallout 4™ title from the award winning Bethesda Softworks® in 2013.

And you and I and everyone here knows that it will sell bucket loads and Bethesda will be praised by their feat for years to come, specially since their only "competitor" in the "rpg" genre is making shit so stinky even their shitty fanbase is giving up.

Xi

Arcane
He wouldn't be able to keep the 2 million if he files for bankruptcy. Right? Or is there some law that allows him to get around that issue?

If he made 4 million and paid off the Interplay debt with 1 million left over I'd agree that he Herved Bethesda, but I'm thinking he realized that Bethesda was going to try and rain his already limited funds. I just don't see how Herve made out.

He will pay himself a salary + a bonus. That's how it works. He can't just pocket all the money, but he can pay himself a hefty sum of cash. Plus, Interplay is still selling the oldies. I'm sure there is a little bit of money coming into the coffers still.

thesoup

Arcane
Not at all, racofer. I think the next couple of years will be interesting as we see Beth and Bio in their clash of the titans epic battle for RPG supremacy. In the end, us gamers and RPG enthusiasts are the biggest winners.

Ok, I'm stopping with the sarcasm. It's too depressing.

DragoFireheart

He will pay himself a salary + a bonus. That's how it works. He can't just pocket all the money, but he can pay himself a hefty sum of cash. Plus, Interplay is still selling the oldies. I'm sure there is a little bit of money coming into the coffers still.

Still not quite a Herved as a couple people were making it out to be. Keeping the license to the Fallout MMO, making it, seeing it do shit, and then Bethesda reputation gets ruined because of it while Herve makes money in the process is "getting Herved".

In this case, Herve kinda just dropped out like a bitch.

curry

Arcane
I can't believe it's only 2 mil. What the fuck, Herve?

Bethesda wouldn't have settled unless they thought there was a chance they'd lose.

DragoFireheart

I can't believe it's only 2 mil. What the fuck, Herve?

Bethesda wouldn't have settled unless they thought there was a chance they'd lose.

I'm telling ya, Bethesda was draining Herves resources. They decided to give him the lowest amount they thought he would take so to avoid dragging it out longer but they probably could have if they wanted. Herve probably got desperate at that point and tried to cut his losses. Herve probably figured he couldn't win at the rate he was going.

Repressed Homosexual
There was no way they could've maintained an MMO in their current financial situation, it would have been an even more embarrassing gaming disaster than All-Points Bulletin.

This is clearly for the best, in spite of Bethesda's bigheadedness.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I wasn't expecting it to be released neither, but it would be nice to see what they had made, unless that's nothing more than fluff for newsletters.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Ah, dem memories:

t1V6m.jpg
I assume the husband's name is Zeni?

I'm pretty sure they bought the rights to Fallout but were still thinking of that jar when they started developing Fallout 3.

MCA
This is a valuable lesson. You can NEVER trust Herve for anything. For a while, some of us had settled into :popcorn: mode, watching the battle with much entertainment but this like your date holding the pop corn box slipping his dick into the box and you touching it while reaching for a handful of pop corns.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hmmm I wonder if Beth will now lay the smack down on the Fallout Modding community (like FOnline for example)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom