Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda General Discussion Thread

pippin

Nothing Bethesda Produces or Develops has any appeal to me, whatsoever. Period. I however *might* someday pick up Prey if it shows up on a massive discount/sale someday. Just for the fuck of it.

IF however they did some kind of open world/space Sci-Fi game, I'd possibly be interested in it. I'm under no illusion it will even be, or even remotely a RPG however (even if it is labeled as such). I am just SO FUCKING SICK of Fantasy™. And after they smeared feces all over the Fallout series, no interest in that either.

Will see out of just sheer curiosity to see what it is....
Did you enjoy Mass Effect Andromeda?

Jaesun is gay, but is he *that* gay??

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The game is not about flying around in spaceships blowing stuff up, or landing on planets blowing stuff up. They said the inspiration is Deep Space 9. The game is all about getting your space station working and helping people around rather than just killing stuff for the sake of killing stuff. Part of the inspiration includes a crewed ship you can use to fly around, but again don't expect it to be about combat, more often than not you'll be outmatched.

It's possible to bluff and talk your way out of combat, which you'll need to do because combat is pretty damn difficult. For main story missions this can lead to radically different outcomes. One example determines which side is considered the aggressor in a war, which leads to one side getting support for planet destroying weapons or not.

Knew you were lying from here

i didn't make this up, it's supposedly from a neogaf thread that was shut down

Frozen

Arcane
TES whatever : hiking goes to space

A completely new and radical approach: you woke up in a space jail and then...

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The game is not about flying around in spaceships blowing stuff up, or landing on planets blowing stuff up. They said the inspiration is Deep Space 9. The game is all about getting your space station working and helping people around rather than just killing stuff for the sake of killing stuff. Part of the inspiration includes a crewed ship you can use to fly around, but again don't expect it to be about combat, more often than not you'll be outmatched.

It's possible to bluff and talk your way out of combat, which you'll need to do because combat is pretty damn difficult. For main story missions this can lead to radically different outcomes. One example determines which side is considered the aggressor in a war, which leads to one side getting support for planet destroying weapons or not.

Knew you were lying from here

i didn't make this up, it's supposedly from a neogaf thread that was shut down

Flying around with crew members sounds kinda interesting. I've been waiting for a game that gives me Star Trek vibes with bridge control, walking around in the flying ship etc. Though I'm probably expecting too much already.

Aside from that it still sounds like: you got a "starfield" full of asteroid sized planets with different climates, each one inhabited by a different race, and which you need to unite against a greater enemy. Skyrim (or Dragon Age Origins) split into smaller asteroids, thrown into space. Say hello to Khajiit, Elfs, Daedra, Imperials on their own asteroids...meh...

Honestly I'd rather have a down-to-earth Elder Scrolls 6 instead of this Sci-Fi mixture. Or better some new Sword&Sorcery Fantasy instead of TES. With combat like in Dark Messiah. However the truth is, that the lack of good RPGs during the last years made me realize, we won't get any better than Grimoire, Bard's Tale 4 or another Elder Scrolls for the next decade. Sad...

Last edited:

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
TES whatever : hiking goes to space

A completely new and radical approach: you woke up in a space jail and then...

This. You wake up in space jail with coloured alien chick beside you. Time to escape and go hiking around in a space suit.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
And there will be no stats and no levels. Go anywhere and do anything. As long as that is walking, flying, shooting, or fedex quests. And it will still be full of dialogue by that same scandinavian fucker they use everywhere. The Jarl of Mars voot like to speak vit joo.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Starfield has been in the works for quite a few years now. The technology behind it has actually been created by BGS and Id Software. It's part IdTech and part Creation, it's mostly rendering technology from IdTech and some of the NPC and quest tools from Creation.

This is going to be Bethesda's first game that heavily uses procedural generation since Daggerfall.

[...]

My sources don't know anything about the game after that, but they do know all the technology for Starfield and the next game are being made to make TES 6. BGS wants to make it similar to Daggerfall, but what it's actually going to be is up in the air right now as they figure out what works and doesn't work in the games they are working on.

Uhm... shit. So the next TES will also be a procedural clusterfuck? In that case we must closely inspect Starfield to get a taste of how shitty the next Elder Scrolls will be :roll:

The only good news is that they ditched their old engine.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Bethesda forces kickstarted game Prey for the Gods to change name to Praey (sic) for the Gods.

NoMatterStudios said:
Wha!? Why are you now PRAEY for the Gods!?
Oh yea that...so we didn’t want to do this but we had to change our game name from Prey for the Gods to Praey for the Gods. Thankfully we get to keep the logo but we will spell it “Praey for the Gods”. Honestly, we could make this entire newsletter about our thoughts on this. Trademark law is what we were dealing with and we aren’t under any NDA so we can state the opposition in this situation, Bethesda/Zenimax.

We could’ve fought this and we did think about it for quite a while. Something like a trademark opposition can be long and depending on how far someone wants to fight it can be very expensive. We didn’t want to spend our precious Kickstarter funds, nor did we want to have to ask for additional funds to fight this in court. Using backer money towards something that doesn’t go towards the development or backer rewards felt horrible to us. Even if we did win we’d have to spend a solid chunk of our funds and in our opinion it wasn’t worth it.

The truth is we initially thought about naming the game Præy for the Gods prior to our initial trailer. The logo has both the woman praying against the duality of prey, and thankfully we get to continue to use that. We figured people would have a hard time trying to type in the æ symbol in search engines etc. This was back in 2015 when we posted a trailer on Facebook and Twitter with had no idea if 100 or even 1000 people would watch the trailer. We were applying for both Prey for the Gods, and Præy for the Gods trademarks shortly after as we realized the extent of what we were making. Unfortunately, Zenimax chose to oppose our mark, as they felt both were too similar to their mark “Prey”. While we disagree with their opposition we were able to come to an agreement.

It was something that kept me up many nights, and no doubt shifted our focus from our game frequently. Worrying about the outcome if we went to trial, if we’d lose our fans or walk away from the mark and still potentially get sued for millions on trademark infringement. This is really something no starting company should have to deal with let alone a tiny team of 3. So the fact that we came out the other end intact still developing the game was a win. One that will no doubt shape our company moving forward.
More abuse of copyright over one-word game titles that use common English words. Though I wish No Matter Studios would have had enough sense to simply change Prey to Pray in the title of their game rather than use the unfortunate and artificial construction Praey. Yet another demonstration of why copyright law should be altered to prevent this sort of abusive behavior.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Lol Praey. They should sue Bethesda for being fuckbags and make them call their game Ghey.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The sad thing is Bethesda would lose the trademark case in court but obviously if you're an indie dev kickstarting a game you can't afford tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to fight it.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
More abuse of copyright over one-word game titles that use common English words.

Hmmm.

Clipboard02.jpg

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I doubt all of this. I still remember when Todd was claiming that Oblivion was going to have Radiant Ai that would shape the future of gaming, giving dynamic quests, and events in real time in front of you.
Bethesda always hypes up their games to seem as if they will be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's always significantly worse, like some type of terrible imitation of bread, like soy bread.

It's going to be three planets which you can go to different sections on, and a small quest hub, with optional new areas to open up by buying the dlc and microtransactions. And of course lots and lots of
references to their other games, like nirnroot, the fallout boy, and probably doomguy toys. Maybe even an elder scroll that can show you the future of how shit the game will inevitably be because bethesda
has lost the desire to make good games. It will also have denuvo, run like shit on launch, be advertised everywhere, and will be simplified to the lowest common denominator.

RepHope

Savant
Procedural space RPG by Bethesda...... sounds intriguing

I doubt it'll be procedural, where are these rumors you've heard anyways?

Snip.
I doubt this will actually end up in the finalized game if it's even real. Remember that Mass Effect Andromeda leaked survey that had you going to 100s of planets, fighting in space combat with the Tempest, etc? None of that was in the game except for the terrible Strike Force bullshit. Also no loading screens? No fucking way, not with Gamebyro, they'd need a new engine for that.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I know, zenimax is just a shell corp of lawyers, but zenionline's supposedly the mmo studio. Montreal's probably making some not mmo.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
This freemium game is probably going to be a fallout shelter-esque mobile but also on pc and consoles title. They've been hiring economy designers and game designers for ages, plus a lot of montreal's job listings have been asking for unity experience. That being said, they're also still obviously working on a traditional bethesda rpg because both studios are still asking for roles that mention the creation engine.

What is the most interesting part is that Bethesda has now invested their money into forming a core tech team for their internal engine which means they're planning to do some big work on it.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
What is the most interesting part is that Bethesda has now invested their money into forming a core tech team for their internal engine which means they're planning to do some big work on it.

Probably graphics upgrades after all the whining in the Fallout 4 reviews.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

Probably graphics upgrades after all the whining in the Fallout 4 reviews.

No, they have a separate team for that, which is also hiring programmers atm en massse. They're bulking up their engine team which before was really only like 10-ish people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom