Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda General Discussion Thread

Shinji

Savant
One of those two is probably The Evil Within 2

The other one might be another Wolfenstein or even BattleCry, wihch was neglected by Bethesda themselves.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They have a nice graphic artist, at least. I gave up hopes of an outsourced Fallout: New Orleans. They seem content to shit out increasingly awful Fallout and TES games on a rotating basis every six or so years and publish other generic AAA fodder. I can't think of anything created or funded by them I'd anticipate. Although Skyrim was 2011? It is probably time to start teasing the next TES game.

Found this gem from Pete Hinds last year:

"This studio is not a vending machine," he said. "They're not a two-button vending machine, where first we press Elder Scrolls and then we press Fallout, and then we press Elder Scrolls and then we press Fallout... They're an incredibly talented studio of creative people."

That's kind of... EXACTLY what they are, Pete. Did I miss something? What was the last non Fallout non TES games Bethesda Studios made?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They have a nice graphic artist

qzHMwQd.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I liek graphics because it lets me experience wot it must be like to leave teh house.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
That's kind of... EXACTLY what they are, Pete. Did I miss something? What was the last non Fallout non TES games Bethesda Studios made?

If the trademarks were correct, they're starting a new IP called Starfield which I'm guessing will be their next game before TES6.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
I'm in agreement that "Starfield" is probably the next big Bethesda project about to be announced. It's been hinted at for a few years now and makes sense they would have something to show for it come June as they've talked about a large scale game. Who won't love Bethesda physics in space, right? At least when the models bug out on day one, it'll be more entertaining than the Prospermeda facial animations. In all seriousness though, it's a good time to drop into the sci-fi market considering space games are back in and ME:A was garbage.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm in agreement that "Starfield" is probably the next big Bethesda project about to be announced. It's been hinted at for a few years now and makes sense they would have something to show for it come June as they've talked about a large scale game. Who won't love Bethesda physics in space, right? At least when the models bug out on day one, it'll be more entertaining than the Prospermeda facial animations. In all seriousness though, it's a good time to drop into the sci-fi market considering space games are back in and ME:A was garbage.

Wouldnt be surprised if Bethesda bought the No Mans Sky generation engine for this

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It all makes sense now

Starfield is also a beta test of procedural generation for TES 6.

They will combine skyrim rpg + building from F4 + starfield procedural generation.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Nothing Bethesda Produces or Develops has any appeal to me, whatsoever. Period. I however *might* someday pick up Prey if it shows up on a massive discount/sale someday. Just for the fuck of it.

IF however they did some kind of open world/space Sci-Fi game, I'd possibly be interested in it. I'm under no illusion it will even be, or even remotely a RPG however (even if it is labeled as such). I am just SO FUCKING SICK of Fantasy™. And after they smeared feces all over the Fallout series, no interest in that either.

Will see out of just sheer curiosity to see what it is....

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
^ Don't give in to the urges. They will never make a real game with real gameplay, only weak open world stuff for kids and mainstream dude bro dimwits. There are lots of big space games in development by indie devs that are the best bet.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Howard employed player-driven narrative to create a game that’s both massive and personally affecting. Fallout 4 received Game of the Year at the 2016 D.I.C.E.

Running around and doing some pointless shit is truly personally affecting. The personality might be Kardashian's or Angry Joe's, but it was affected nonetheless.

“Todd is revered by legions of fans not just for his creative leadership over the years but for his humility and humor".

"...and the size of his cock was only matched by the size of his leg... ...slurp... " - unknown ass kisser tool.
:despair:

Yet it’s Todd’s vision and strong direction that has brought Tamriel and the Commonwealth to life for millions around the world.

Yup, unleashing lusty argonian maid on the world is worthy of a serious award.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Procedural space RPG by Bethesda...... sounds intriguing

I doubt it'll be procedural, where are these rumors you've heard anyways?

Starfield has been in the works for quite a few years now. The technology behind it has actually been created by BGS and Id Software. It's part IdTech and part Creation, it's mostly rendering technology from IdTech and some of the NPC and quest tools from Creation. After Battlecry Studios game was cancelled they put the entire studio on the project under BGS control. If they can make some good content for Starfield they'll get to make DLC, and if that's well received they'll be taken off their leash again.

This is going to be Bethesda's first game that heavily uses procedural generation since Daggerfall.

Like Daggerfall it's a set seed that you can't change. This is because there's a large amount of hand created areas they added after generation, they didn't want it added during generation since they wanted everything in very specific spots which isn't necessarily guaranteed when generation a game world.

It seems the hot new thing are space games set in a procedural galaxy, and Starfield is another one of those. My sources told me it's not like Elite or No Man's Sky. Terrain and the galaxy are procedurally generated, but they are using a procedural system that takes hand created assets and places them in the world. Some of these locations are heavily layered. A location can have a city, that city belongs to a faction (most factions are procedurally generated, but there's a few hand made ones that push the story), cities are made up of buildings, rules say what buildings can go where, buildings are made up of rooms, rooms are given a function, that function determines what can spawn in the room, and so on. They don't know exactly how long generating the galaxy took, but apparently it was a couple of weeks on a server farm.

Even though it's a space game this one isn't based around a spaceship. You start out on a space station and build it up over time. You choose which faction you want to start with and you get a crew to order around on the stations. You can manually place everything or just let the game do it for you. You travel through the galaxy using the space station. As you travel around and build up, NPCs will dock at the station, you'll be contacted by planets or ships or other stations. The station isn't just a backdrop, you can walk around it and see people you've hired, see people who've decided to live on the ship, etc.

So the space station is quite huge at it's peak, it's larger than Boston in Fallout 4. The game has no loading screens, so you can walk throughout the entire thing and see everything that's going on without loading.

The game is not about flying around in spaceships blowing stuff up, or landing on planets blowing stuff up. They said the inspiration is Deep Space 9. The game is all about getting your space station working and helping people around rather than just killing stuff for the sake of killing stuff. Part of the inspiration includes a crewed ship you can use to fly around, but again don't expect it to be about combat, more often than not you'll be outmatched.

It's possible to bluff and talk your way out of combat, which you'll need to do because combat is pretty damn difficult. For main story missions this can lead to radically different outcomes. One example determines which side is considered the aggressor in a war, which leads to one side getting support for planet destroying weapons or not.

There are procedurally generated missions that are based on the state of the galaxy. You won't get "go here and collect 5 space rocks". These come from different sources and are used to fill out the galaxy. Your actions in these do matter. A planet might have a deadly virus, if nobody helps them and they die then nobody will be on that planet any more. As you float around the galaxy the game simulates what happened, so it's possible on your game a planet had a devastating war while in your friends game they didn't.

The game has mod support, but as it's completely different from their previous games don't expect the same level of mod support. They are trying to open up as much as possible though.

My sources don't know anything about the game after that, but they do know all the technology for Starfield and the next game are being made to make TES 6. BGS wants to make it similar to Daggerfall, but what it's actually going to be is up in the air right now as they figure out what works and doesn't work in the games they are working on.

A horse of course

The game is not about flying around in spaceships blowing stuff up, or landing on planets blowing stuff up. They said the inspiration is Deep Space 9. The game is all about getting your space station working and helping people around rather than just killing stuff for the sake of killing stuff. Part of the inspiration includes a crewed ship you can use to fly around, but again don't expect it to be about combat, more often than not you'll be outmatched.

It's possible to bluff and talk your way out of combat, which you'll need to do because combat is pretty damn difficult. For main story missions this can lead to radically different outcomes. One example determines which side is considered the aggressor in a war, which leads to one side getting support for planet destroying weapons or not.

Knew you were lying from here

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Makabb The only thing you were correct about was that Battlecry have something to do with Bethesda now. Their next project will still be creation engine, Codex's own Jon Burke tweeted that he was working on new voiced dialogue pipelines and was also refactoring major systems. What is interesting is that the next iteration of their engine is going to be a huge leap, they're really investing into engine and core tech teams that they've never had before, as seen here: https://jobs.zenimax.com/locations/view/4

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nothing Bethesda Produces or Develops has any appeal to me, whatsoever. Period. I however *might* someday pick up Prey if it shows up on a massive discount/sale someday. Just for the fuck of it.

IF however they did some kind of open world/space Sci-Fi game, I'd possibly be interested in it. I'm under no illusion it will even be, or even remotely a RPG however (even if it is labeled as such). I am just SO FUCKING SICK of Fantasy™. And after they smeared feces all over the Fallout series, no interest in that either.

Will see out of just sheer curiosity to see what it is....
Did you enjoy Mass Effect Andromeda?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom