Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda E3 2016 Conference: Fallout 4 DLC, Skyrim Special Edition, Dishonored 2, and Prey with MCA

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Shut up Black. Fight me.

Mozg

Arcane

I don't think "please don't upload my mod that doesn't work on consoles to consoles, then send all complaints to me, the guy who made it and didn't put it on consoles" or "please don't make money off of something you never made" is being a naggy cunt. I mean, any community where people think that is okay is a community I'd never want to mod for. Modding is a thankless discipline where the only possible reward you get is a feeling of accomplishment and credit, stealing that credit is pretty fucking slimy, but whatever.

However valid a modder's complain seems at a given moment, never forget that modders are naggy cunt elementals.

Dexter

Arcane

I don't think "please don't upload my mod that doesn't work on consoles to consoles, then send all complaints to me, the guy who made it and didn't put it on consoles" or "please don't make money off of something you never made" is being a naggy cunt. I mean, any community where people think that is okay is a community I'd never want to mod for. Modding is a thankless discipline where the only possible reward you get is a feeling of accomplishment and credit, stealing that credit is pretty fucking slimy, but whatever.
Better title would be: Surprised Modders discover they don't own or have any rights to content based on IP they do not own for a game whose rights they do not own using an engine they don't have any rights to use.

It seems rather surprising to me that they'd be as stupid as to believe they have a "right" to decide what happens with their Mods, but then Modders gonna Mod. They should be thankful that they haven't been DMCA'd for unauthorized content, not act like Prima Donnas.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The labs aren't going to sex themselves.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was Prey even that popular to throw money at the IP rights?
For a time.
I have very fond memories of that game for sure. I just liked the general idea, gameplay was smooth, atmosphere pretty great.
And when they announced the second game, I was very hyped (and very sad when it became clear it wouldn't happen).

Well, I'm curious to see what will come of it.

I was once hyped about the original game. That was in 1997. Game mags had several previews during those years. Then it disappeared off the world. Then Half-Life and Unreal happened and nobody gave a fuck about 3D Realms any longer. What a shame, they were at their prime with Build Engine games but then they fucked around for too long with Prey and DNF.

Zeriel

Arcane

Better title would be: Surprised Modders discover they don't own or have any rights to content based on IP they do not own for a game whose rights they do not own using an engine they don't have any rights to use.

It seems rather surprising to me that they'd be as stupid as to believe they have a "right" to decide what happens with their Mods, but then Modders gonna Mod. They should be thankful that they haven't been DMCA'd for unauthorized content, not act like Prima Donnas.

Not actually true. They do not own the game content obviously, but a mod is considered a derived work and is indeed their intellectual property to some extent.

Quote from another forum:

It's not even a grey area. Mods build on Bethesda's content or clearly derived works. Which means the copyright is partially Bethesda's (the original content) and partially the modder's.

This means you need a license/permission from both to distribute. Now we can assume to have permission from Bethesda (workshop and modding support is clearly implicit permission, but I'm pretty confident there's an explicit license in there).

Without permission from the modder you can't distribute their derived work without violating their copyright. The only exception would be if Bethesda's license requires modders to allow redistribution by everyone, since modders have to comply with Bethesda's license to be allowed to make a derived work. I highly doubt Bethesda included such a clause.

If I were getting ripped off as a modder I would first check Bethesda's actual license and, if there is no such clause, file a DMCA takedown notice against the reuploaded mods. That shit doesn't only work for big corporations, and it shouldn't cost anything to download a form DMCA letter somewhere.

This view is endorsed by the fact that Bethesda is encouraging modders to use DMCA takedowns.

I dunno why everyone here is treating modders like they are a lifeform below pond scum, but it is a peculiar stance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom