Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Videogame Writing Since 2005, Any Genre?

WhiteGuts

Arcane
L.A Noire was way too railroaded and scripted to be what it tried to be, a true detective game. But nonetheless, it's still worth one playthrough imo.

I actually removed the Witcher 3 from an inventory just to check it out. Made it to the intro video where he's talking to the naked chick and i had to shut it of. Copying Hollywood = great and amazing writing and story telling?

You should've kept going a bit longer. There's a bunch of legit great writing.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I personally believe Witcher 3 dethroned it.

I bet you also think Game of Thrones is the pinnacle of television writing. "Hurr durr raep hurr durr VIOLANCE hurr durr swearing so deeyp, liek, wow".

I actually removed the Witcher 3 from an inventory just to check it out. Made it to the intro video where he's talking to the naked chick and i had to shut it of. Copying Hollywood = great and amazing writing and story telling?

So youre talking shit about the game despite the fact that you dont know shit about the story. Do you actually expect anybody to actually regard your opinion?

Also, reducing Song of Ice and Fire to its violence again shows how few of the narrative concept you've actually understood/paid attention to. Or you have only seen some episodes of the show that has agreeably completely overblown with sex/violence and destroyed some of the characters by depicting them in a completely wrong way (Littlefinger would be the best example)

Saying SOIAF is all about rape and violence is basically like saying Lord of the Rings is about heaving 3 breakfasts or singing in the woods. A retarded statement.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Song of Ice and Fire IS literally nothing else but raep, incest and violence. Everything else is just run of the mill hill boring fantasy shit. The only thing that made the book stand out is teh grimdark, 'cause lol realizm.

As for the game, if it is anything like the first Witchter, than my criticism stand.

Malpercio

Arcane
Which year was Mask of the Betrayer? 2006?

But w/ever, I assume OP knows Obsidian stuff.

I'd suggest Deadly Premonition and Rule of Rose as far horror games with good writing are concerned. The first one is a bit corny, while the second one is a Lord of the Flies female version.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I personally believe Witcher 3 dethroned it.

I bet you also think Game of Thrones is the pinnacle of television writing. "Hurr durr raep hurr durr VIOLANCE hurr durr swearing so deeyp, liek, wow".

You must start from first game, continue to second game (and play it twice), and then continue to the third game (then you'd learn to ignore naked chicks like rest of the Poland and concentrate more on the story).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
As for the game, if it is anything like the first Witchter, than my criticism stand.

The time to stop digging is nao m8.

Digging what? I already made it clear a long time ago that my instincts are flawless and i can pre-judge things with a 99% degree of accuracy (lel and all that jazz).

Besides, it seems i hit a note when i trashed Game of Thrones which is quite telling already. Dwarves saying motherfucker and lol grimdark = pinnacle of RPG writing.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
TW3 undoubtedly has some of the best-written dialogue I've seen in any game, as well as some individual characters and quests, but it's somewhat brought down by the way the story is handled. It seems to forget its themes halfway through, starting out with some really strong questlines but then following it up with others that kind of just fizzle out without a satisfying payoff. When the story really starts to get going, it has a number of logical issues, characters that are introduced out of nowhere and then immediately forgotten after they've fulfilled their role in the plot, a MacGuffin that seems to be there just to pad out the game, and an ending that pretty much goes against the established lore, seems out-of-place with the tone of the series (both the games and the books) and only manages to raise more questions, being much more convoluted than would've been required in a game which is mainly driven by very basic human motivations.

Basically, the story and the writing work very well up until the point that you
find Ciri
and the story actually gets going, after which it starts to go downhill. It still has its moments, plenty of great individual scenes and so on, but I probably wouldn't rate it above something like MotB which manages to retain its consistency throughout the storyline and makes a great use of its characters and themes all the way to its very satisfying ending.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Writing isn't just about dialogues or the main quest in my opinion, it also covers the side-quests and the overall quest design which is where TW3 really shines. Those are the things that make the game's world believable.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Song of Ice and Fire IS literally nothing else but raep, incest and violence. Everything else is just run of the mill hill boring fantasy shit. The only thing that made the book stand out is teh grimdark, 'cause lol realizm.

SOIAF is not typical fantasy, but much rather a deconstruction of it as it directly attacks several core fantasy tropes. But who am i even talking to? You probably partly watched 2 shitty episodes of the inferior show and based your judgment upon that not even having read a single syllable of the books. And its also not actually comparable to the witcher lore.

Edgy shittalking, always providing some entertainment. But as i said dont expect anyone to take you serious.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
NieR deserves a mention for having a child party member you didn't feel like punching in the face everytime he spoke.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm looking for the best writing in videogames since 2005, RPG or otherwise. This is including quests, dialogue, storyboards, and cutscenes.

The Legacy of Kain series has always been my favorite in terms of story, but that is pre-2005. I'm partial to horror and really enjoyed the general atmosphere of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Both of which are based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Neither however, really had an intricate plot IIRC. At least not on the level of the Legacy of Kain games.

What videogame stories really stood out from 2005 to present?

Should go check out The Secret World, it borrows a lot from the horror genre and some stories could come straight out of a Lovecraft novel. The writing and the overarching plot are also really good.

Lemming42

Arcane
LA Noire was fantastically written. It still fell into the trap that 99% of games fall into where it's basically trying to be a movie-like story forced upon a videogame, but it was great anyway. Pretty much the only time where I'd use "it felt like a movie" as praise of a game rather than a brutal criticism.

Superuser

Educated
Should go check out The Secret World, it borrows a lot from the horror genre and some stories could come straight out of a Lovecraft novel. The writing and the overarching plot are also really good.
It's... an MMORPG? Let me guess, does it make you the centre of the world but have nothing actually change around you when you do earth shattering, crazy things in the story?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Demon's Souls (2009) and Dark Souls (2011) are somewhat similar, as they use a minimalist style of storytelling with little dialogue but an effective atmosphere created through their environments and the creatures that dwell in them, while clues about the true backstory are scattered about. There's also a strong Lovecraftian influence on Demon's Souls.

I admire From's games very much but I don't love or play them. And after all these years I'm still on the fence if their writing is just artsy fartsy pretentious claptrap or if there's any genuine artistic value to it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
deconstruction

Lol fuck off with that shit. You are just proving my point when you use those kind of moderntarded buzzwords. And there is a reason why Lord of the Rings > A Song of Raep and Incest. Tolkien actually set out to build something. Moderntards like Martin think they are being clever and profound for shoving human vileness down our throats and being all nihilistic and shit. The result is not great art, but infra art, something that is actually below any true artistic aim. The experience of such an art is akin to that of experiencing vice.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Demon's Souls (2009) and Dark Souls (2011) are somewhat similar, as they use a minimalist style of storytelling with little dialogue but an effective atmosphere created through their environments and the creatures that dwell in them, while clues about the true backstory are scattered about. There's also a strong Lovecraftian influence on Demon's Souls.

I admire From's games very much but I don't love or play them. And after all these years I'm still on the fence if their writing is just artsy fartsy pretentious claptrap or if there's any genuine artistic value to it.

It is artsy fartsy, but in a game like Dark Souls it doesn't matter. In fact, that approach worked because the story never got in the way of the gameplay. Nothing worse than shit writing you actually have to pay attention to in an action game.

anus_pounder

Arcane
It's... an MMORPG? Let me guess, does it make you the centre of the world but have nothing actually change around you when you do earth shattering, crazy things in the story?

Yes, its an MMORPG. This makes me buttmad since I genuinely like the idea behind the game's world and stuff. But MMO...holy fucking shit. :negative:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yes, its an MMORPG. This makes me buttmad since I genuinely like the idea behind the game's world and stuff. But MMO...holy fucking shit. :negative:

This, I tried the free beta, awesome world and interesting mechanics but I would shoot myself before I'd commit to a game that would probably swallow hundreds upon hundreds of hours of my free time. All MMOs, regardless how good or bad, are evil.

Doktor Best

Arcane
deconstruction

Lol fuck off with that shit. You are just proving my point when you use those kind of moderntarded buzzwords. And there is a reason why Lord of the Rings > A Song of Raep and Incest. Tolkien actually set out to build something. Moderntards like Martin think they are being clever and profound for shoving human vileness down our throats and being all nihilistic and shit. The result is not great art, but infra art, something that is actually below any true artistic aim. The experience of such an art is akin to that of experiencing vice.

You talk about buzzwords? :lol: You provide nothing more but empty catchphrases that you think prove some point. No argument of substance is to be found, how could there be one if you dont even know what the fuck youre talking about.

Also you make it sound like there is no violence in LOTR. There is, plenty of it. Its just that Tolkien shielded almost all likable characters from it, and that its roots are some mythical dark powers seeping into the world rather than in humanity itself.

George Martin is maybe more explicit in his depiction of violence, but that doesnt mean that its an end in itself rather than a tool to show how violence violence affects people, and also to highlight heroism because there is an actual real danger the protagonists put themselves in when they try to stand up for the good.

You can see in the telltale game and in the parts of the series that deviate from the books what happens if you reduce the narrative to what you think the narrative is based on.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

This, I tried the free beta, awesome world and interesting mechanics but I would shoot myself before I'd commit to a game that would probably swallow hundreds upon hundreds of hours of my free time. All MMOs, regardless how good or bad, are evil.

A single-player game would have been nice but it's really not that bad. There is a lot of emphasis on solo-play: all story missions are solo, grouped instances are not mandatory (although the dungeons are really, really good) and you will see very few people walking around in the zones. The game is simply much too interesting to pass up just because it has floaty animations or light MMO mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom