Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Grim Monk

Arcane
I'll just leave this here...

Microprose announce Special Forces: Team X for XBOX 360
Posted by: Bradley Marsh on January 31, 2013 in News

Special Forces: Team X (STX) is a team centric 3rd Person cover based shooter, featuring brutal firefights between elite squads of special force operatives. STX takes place in tomorrow’s world, one that is infested with conflicts amongst the geo-political power brokers. A world in which conventional warfare is dead, diplomacy is an affront to the hidden agenda of national objectives, and global strategy is accomplished using clandestine military power...

From Gamestyle: http://gamestyle.com/news/microprose-announce-special-forces-team-x-for-xbox-360/

Microprose still in business with Girl Fight
Tom Chick, September 24, 2013 | News

Girl Fight is out today. No, not the Michelle Rodriguez movie. The latest game from Microprose...

Featuring eight lethal ladies each with deadly sex appeal, these girls can devastate their opponents using conventional combat techniques and metaphysical powers. Girl Fight brings intuitive fighting mechanics with slick animations to deliver a fun fighting experience that’s easy on the eyes.

From Quarter to Three: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/09/24/microprose-still-business-girl-fight/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's some hacks who have somehow gotten their hands on the Microprose trademark.

http://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/473006

Are the subtleties of older games lost on modern audiences? I was watching Game Informers look back at Thief the Dark Project and they were calling moss arrows stupid, oblivious to the purpose to quieting your steps and how this benefits you, or calling water arrows stupid, once again short sighted in their application.

Do modern audiences simply not get these things?

That video annoyed me way too much. They kept doing the same thing over and over again wondering why they got killed and then blamed the game for not aging well.

Link to the video?

You don't wanna see it. Trust me. It is just a guy getting killed by the same guard for nearly 15 minutes.

This is my last warning. These guys are complete idiots and it will frustrate you. Don't dew it anon.

:lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Having never played Thief until months ago, it pleases me to see that I'm much better at playing games than those jokes at Game Informer and am able to provide non-stupid criticisms of its many weaknesses. :smug:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
But watch the video. The guy is so abysmal at playing the game that I've even wondered if Eidos Montreal didn't perhaps pay them to do it so that dumb consoletarted plebians can think the new Thief will be better.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Having never played Thief until months ago, it pleases me to see that I'm much better at playing games than those jokes at Game Informer and am able to provide non-stupid criticisms of its many weaknesses. :smug:
nothing to fell smug about, to be fair. Thief is a very casual game.

Borelli

Arcane
Huminds asked 7 Nov

Why would anyone consider using Turn Based combat instead of RTwP?

Turn Based combat is always a slow and low intensity affair. Why would anyone go that route in this day and age?

GZiets responded 9 hours ago

Depends on your target audience and the pace of your game, for a start.

Despite the greater popularity of real-time combat, turn-based gaming (especially grid-based) is a qualitatively different experience that – in my opinion – evokes traditional tabletop strategy games like chess. The market for such games will always be smaller, but they do have a niche audience that’s underserved by the market. So in the age of Kickstarter, it’s perfectly viable to target that audience… and since there aren’t many titles that offer a turn-based experience, you’re likely to catch the attention of a pretty big share of that niche audience. With a small budget, that can make for a very profitable game.

Another reason has to do with the overall pace and tone you’re trying to set for your game. Sometimes a slower-paced approach fits better with the themes, narratives, and ideas that you’re attempting to explore. A turn-based approach might put players in a more thoughtful, strategic mind set, and that might be perfect for the game world you’re trying to create. It certainly wouldn’t work for Diablo, but every game has to find its own equilibrium, and even if most games are using real-time combat (or first-person shooting, or whatever), that doesn’t always mean it’s what’s best for *your* game.
Frankly i would not waste so much words on this fool but Ziets is the man.:bro:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
People like Huminds don't like TBC because it requires them to actually do something other than move their party into an area and click the health potion button every once in a while.

Athelas

Arcane
Neither side is doing themselves any favors in the battle of TB vs RTwP. It makes both groups look about as mature as the angry 12 year old Call of Duty players.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those forums are disgusting. Why do these devs hang around those cesspools? Why not hang around this one?

That's not a forum, it's George's personal Spring.me page. People ask him questions there.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People like Huminds don't like TBC because it requires them to actually do something other than move their party into an area and click the health potion button every once in a while.
Like Fallout? :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Most turn-based games are sadly not very good. Damn shame because they have the potential to be wonderful.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a matter of preference. The problem with the question was not that the asker preferred RTwP, but the "in this day and age" aka "technical limitations" bit.

EDIT: But of course you knew that and I am falling for your bullshit again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom