Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Thrawn05

Scholar
And Pete the Lord said:
And yes, not being able to delete spells annoys me. So does the way alchemy works, something I spend a lot of time doing. So do a number of other kinks and quirks. But having reviewed video game for several years, and having played video games for just short of 30 years, having grown up on the Gold Box AD&D games and loving games like Baldur's Gate and Fallout and everything else I could get my hands on, I find Oblivion to be one of the most compelling, enjoyable games ever. It's far and away one of the best RPGs I've ever played in my life, bar none.

You think I'm not aware of the shortcomings of the game just because I work here? These forums are a nonstop litany of moaning and wailing that is impossible to miss. I've played more awful games in my life than I care to remember. I daresay none of them got more than an hour or two of my time before I moved on. I still play Oblivion at home on my own time, in my free time when I can play any of a dozen recently released games I have, because I think it's fun. I don't apologize for that, nor do I apologize for being amused that someone played a game -- any game -- for 80 hours they find dull. I think that's funny.

Kendar

Novice
Pete said:
I always enjoy any "this game is dull or stupid or just plain sucks" thread that includes "I've played the game for 80 hours" in the opening paragraph.
Yes, don't forget that someone saying "I played it for two hours and it sucks" would have heard "you did not play it long enough to judge". Next-gen IQ selective reading, I guess.
Pete Hines t3h winn4r said:
loving games like Baldur's Gate and Fallout and everything else I could get my hands on, I find Oblivion to be one of the most compelling, enjoyable games ever. It's far and away one of the best RPGs I've ever played in my life, bar none.
He is such a bad liar. But good try at making anyone believe he liked Fallout and so, objectively consider Oblivion as one of the most compelling game ever. Maybe that is just me, but something doesn't compute here.

Note that he doesn't say what kind of game Oblivion is, at least, but even so, I hardly consider an FPS as a challenger for the most compelling game ever. This part, however, is a matter of personal opinion, so let's leave it at that.

Data4

Arcane
I never tire of this stuff.

Yeah, I'm pimpin' my own post, but this phenomena is taking the ESF modders forum by storm! Everyone, including people who bitched that they couldn't afford upgrades to play the stupid game suddenly are able to purchase a middleware package for over $300 from a company that deals primarily in B2B sales.

Software piracy doesn't bother me so much, given draconian return policies and all, but to be so stupidly blatant like this? I'm TRYING to get Singular Inversions to notice. Stirrin' shit's fun!

-D4

Top Hat

Scholar
Pete Hines said:
I find Oblivion to be one of the most compelling, enjoyable games ever. It's far and away one of the best RPGs I've ever played in my life, bar none.

Tips Top Hat. Greetings all.

Whilst I was perusing this fine topic, I came across this lovely line.

A question I would ask of this "Pete" is: "Do you actually understand English?

"Read the bold passage; read the underlined passage. How can you say that something is one of the best "bar none"? "Bar none" implies that none come even close to surpassing the level of the object in question. If you thought it was "the best, bar none" I could accuse you of getting into the ether in the closet, but at least your sentence would be cogent.

"Hm, perhaps you did get into the ether, and that's why you appear to have the attention span of a goldfish."

With people like this associated with Oblivion, it was doomed from the beginning.

Exit

Limorkil

Liturgist
They locked the thread before I could contribute, but my contribution to the subtitle thread would have been:

OBLIVION
The Fun Never Starts

and

OBLIVION
Whaddynow: Half-assed Parts DO Add Up to an Half-assed Whole

Self-Ejected

BeholderX

Self-Ejected
pork soda said:
QUOTE(MrBigCat @ May 24 2006, 05:50 PM) *

Let's look at Fallout shall we:
* Real meaningful choices and consequences
* Deep role-playing options including non-combat options, like the ability to actually role-play through dialog
* Multiple solutions to quests - non-linear game play
* Success or failure dependent solely on character skill and not player reflexes.

---

That's like comparing Monopoly to chess and saying Monopoly's better because it has more varied things to do...

Ah well, it's all opinion...

Tell me someone from here wrote that, because I'm too scared to contemplate the alternative.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
The level of stupidity of the fans is nothing compared to the modders. I used a French phrase in a post and had it deleted with the explanation "please post in English as per forum rules". Daft fucking cow. 'per' = Latin.

jasondragon

Novice
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=461459

I just killed a Gloom Wraith who was using a glass longsword. When the sword hit the ground it just started spinning on the tip and didn't fall down for about 5 minutes (our time!). I was so amazed I just sat and watched it, cheering it on, untill finally it fell. *sniff*.

Sad, I know but extremly un-common!

Has anything simiar happened to anyone else?

Who are these fucking people that like this game?

bryce777

Erudite
Thrawn05 said:
And Pete the Lord said:
And yes, not being able to delete spells annoys me. So does the way alchemy works, something I spend a lot of time doing. So do a number of other kinks and quirks. But having reviewed video game for several years, and having played video games for just short of 30 years, having grown up on the Gold Box AD&D games and loving games like Baldur's Gate and Fallout and everything else I could get my hands on, I find Oblivion to be one of the most compelling, enjoyable games ever. It's far and away one of the best RPGs I've ever played in my life, bar none.

You think I'm not aware of the shortcomings of the game just because I work here? These forums are a nonstop litany of moaning and wailing that is impossible to miss. I've played more awful games in my life than I care to remember. I daresay none of them got more than an hour or two of my time before I moved on. I still play Oblivion at home on my own time, in my free time when I can play any of a dozen recently released games I have, because I think it's fun. I don't apologize for that, nor do I apologize for being amused that someone played a game -- any game -- for 80 hours they find dull. I think that's funny.

This person can barely speak Engrish.

the last bit I do wonder at. I mostly wonder who with a brain would even buy the fucking game.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Pretty much all of the reviews were overwhelmingly positive, so anyone relying soley on reviews may have bought it. People have different tastes, and priorities and on the face of things Oblivion seems to please most people.

Cue pointed remark about "most people" :P

Lumpy

Arcane
Imbecile said:
Pretty much all of the reviews were overwhelmingly positive, so anyone relying soley on reviews may have bought it. People have different tastes, and priorities and on the face of things Oblivion seems to please most people.

Cue pointed remark about "most people" :P
OMG HITLER WAS AWSUM TO MSOT PEOPLE!!1!!1!!11!!1

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Luscilla said:
I would have loved to have played Daggerfall
Eagle1Fox2 said:
There are ways to play Daggerfall...
Luscilla said:
It's my opinion that gameplay comes before graphics, but not if the graphics are 10 yrs old.
Original-Kiwi said:
Daggerfall is seven years old, and I played it on a Pentium II

I thought this stopped being funny, but I was wrong.

Relien

Scholar
I never would have thought this possible:
Welcome!!! I love all 3 games, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion

Anyway, if people who entered the series with Morrowind are now called veterans, those before them should be ancients at the very least. In the end they will awaken and the final nights will come... :twisted:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Relien said:
I never would have thought this possible:
Welcome!!! I love all 3 games, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion

Anyway, if people who entered the series with Morrowind are now called veterans, those before them should be ancients at the very least. In the end they will awaken and the final nights will come... :twisted:

Hell my middle name is Cain then. But what is striking me is the number of people who loved Morrowind but think Oblivion is dumbed down. They thought Morrowind was 'deep' as an RPG but find Oblivion shallow. There is a little hope I guess.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Yeah but I guess that theres a trend of individuals liking the earlier versions of games they have played.

Veterans of Shogun: Total war disliked Medieval: Total War as it was too "mainstream"
Veterans of Medieval: Total War disliked Rome: Total War, because it was all dumbed down, and speeded up and other nefarious stuff.

The same can be just as easily applied to music, where you find people who enjoyed a bands first album, but believe that their favourite band sold out, man.

I'm not saying that sometimes this isnt true, but often theres a degree of rose tinted specs and snobbery that plays a big part in forming these views.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Fair point.

But the Total War thing is true. Since Shogun the series has been stinking. Especially with the AI - if you try the same zerg tactics you use in RTW in Shogun, you get your ass spanked.

I'm just surprised that, unless the Codex is over there in force, so many are actually taking apart design choices in Oblivion. If it prods Bethesda into a rethink, that's a good thing in itself. If it means that these people will be more willing to try other games, then that's no bad thing either.

I've been selectively pimping AoD. Here's one response (via PM):

Thanks so much for sending me that link. That game looks intriguing on first glance. I'm definately interesting in looking into it. I do find the direction that games seem to be heading to be very frustrating. Games were supposed to have made it to the next level by now (and I'm talking in more ways than just graphics), Oblivion's RAI is an improvement, but it came out much more crippled than I had expected. I think that the decision to use only voice dialog really killed it's full potential.

Thanks again for your pm and for the link.

The others have been similar. And these people are ones who say their first (and often only) RPG was Morrowind.

There's hope.

edit: is one of you guys MrBigFatCat?

galsiah

Erudite
Mefi said:
But the Total War thing is true. Since Shogun the series has been stinking.
I wouldn't say "stinking" exactly (of Medieval - I haven't played Rome yet), but in many ways I rate Shogun as being a better game than Medieval. Medieval has a lot more factions, more areas, more troop types etc., but that's the major "advantage".
In Shogun I can play through most of the game with things finely balanced (starting from the West, naturally), and will win a few turns after I'm in a commanding position. In Medieval, things can easily turn into a long, drawn out grind, where I'm fairly sure I'll win quite early on, but I need to hack my way through battle after samey battle to explain this to the enemy.

In Shogun, the map is also small enough, with narrow front lines, that one or two battles can easily be pivotal to the entire war - at almost any stage. You can control half the country, and still have everything hang by a thread in each battle as those Hojo bastards throw scores of warrior monks at your archers in Mino.
In Medieval, by the time you control half (or even a third) of the game world, you are probably bored. Each battle doesn't matter too much, since it involves a small part of your front line / army, and any losses can be made up later. The one thing you can be sure of, win or lose, is that there's a long, painful grind ahead.

Total War doesn't have the depth of Civ, so putting things on a Civ-like scale - as in Medieval - just gets boring. Everything is more-of-the-same but with slightly upgraded troops. In Shogun, things don't have the time to stagnate, and individual battles remain important and exciting throughout the game (so long as you're not some kind of Hojo / Uesugi pansy of course).

Medieval also doesn't have the assassination cut-scenes.

For its time, Shogun is undoubtedly the better game. I'd probably say it's better overall too, though some would argue with this (and be wrong :)). It's nothing to do with being "mainstream" or otherwise, it's to do with abandoning great balance and pacing for a flawed bigger-is-better approach.

galsiah

Erudite
Mefi said:
@Galsiah - and why was the bigger-is-better approach adopted? :)
I'd like to think it was for misguided-but-well-intentioned reasons. I see your point though - "It's 5 times as big with 5 times the units" is rather hype-friendly "design".

Hazelnut

Erudite
Simply stated...
IMHO...
People think to much.

Oblivion is fun...
That's why I play it...

that just had to be pulled out of the second of somniums' links... the reason people don't like OB is because they think too much! :roll:

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
Mefi said:
Hell my middle name is Cain then. But what is striking me is the number of people who loved Morrowind but think Oblivion is dumbed down. They thought Morrowind was 'deep' as an RPG but find Oblivion shallow. There is a little hope I guess.

IMO Morrowind isn't a "deep" RPG, but more like a deep book. Even though the gameplay was simple, boring and repetative at times and roleplaying was at a mediocre level, the game managed to capture me through it's originality it's background history (even if it had poor narative), it's countless books and dunmer traditions and all the culture mixtures present on the island, it that aspect the game was incredibly imersive.

Much like Planescape: Torment if you think of it. Bad interface and controls, boring gameplay, but most of the atention brought to the story and originality of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom