Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Stainless Veteran said:
Ha, Merril's "armor" isn't even close to being the most ridiculous in the game.
I mean, just look at Isabella:
21B9EF2E1213E6849F912766CE30176B_x600.jpg

Who needs pants anyway? Arteria femoralis, here I come!
She doesn't have any armour. It's just ordinary clothes. Her opponent is unarmoured too.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Stainless Veteran said:
21B9EF2E1213E6849F912766CE30176B_x600.jpg

She doesn't have any armour. It's just ordinary clothes. Her opponent is unarmoured too.

She does have a shoulder plate (singular) and bracers, which is helpful when fighting against someone with a sword with longer reach, and has ample other soft bits to aim for. Why they even bother with clothes is beyond me, make it magical bikinis if they are going to derp out with armor, at least then they are being honest about how dumbfuck casual their audience is. Ohwait, its Grimdark....

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Stainless Veteran said:

Well, Isabella is a rogue, Merril is a mage, so what about warriors? As for warriors, DA2 has Fenris (aka Dante wannabe):

Note the exposed armpits (and feathers), and bare feet. I don't know about you, but I think exposed feet in quasy-medieval setting are just begging to be stomped on, chopped off, etc.
You've forgotten to mention a fucking chainmail apron.

Jim Cojones said:
Stainless Veteran said:

Well, Isabella is a rogue, Merril is a mage, so what about warriors? As for warriors, DA2 has Fenris (aka Dante wannabe):

Note the exposed armpits (and feathers), and bare feet. I don't know about you, but I think exposed feet in quasy-medieval setting are just begging to be stomped on, chopped off, etc.
You've forgotten to mention a fucking chainmail apron.
Shit, mate, you're right! I will amend this.
234155-Iconic01.jpg

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah, the fuckin awesome chainmail apron which I so totally love.

Even when I try make some sense of it, it doesn't, as it leaves the massive boobs exposed, therefore not actually protecting any of the upper torso (a favourite target of any martial art/combat technique).

Give us back the steel thongs!

DarkElf_Lineage_II_Character_by_Dawn2069MS.jpg

Nael

Arcane
Jools said:

Even when I try make some sense of it, it doesn't, as it leaves the massive boobs exposed, therefore not actually protecting any of the upper torso (a favourite target of any martial art/combat technique).

/img]

Actually, the apron does protect the most vital spot on a person when considering piercing and slashing wounds. If you want to kill someone with a dagger or a sword you go in through the gut and up. You should never go in straight and expect to hit the heart because of the ribs. So yeah... the apron makes sense if you have giant tits.

DraQ

Arcane
600px-MW-npc-Beyte_Fyr.jpg

*Beyte Fyr remains unimpressed by your inane shenanigans*

Actually, the bearded guy with "emo" hair might be the only character in DA2 that looks somewhat sensible, though it may because of his "WTF am I doing here? Uh, guys? Anyone?" look, which I can't help but sympathize with him for.

Nael said:
Jools said:

/img]

Actually, the apron does protect the most vital spot on a person when considering piercing and slashing wounds. If you want to kill someone with a dagger or a sword you go in through the gut and up. You should never go in straight and expect to hit the heart because of the ribs. So yeah... the apron makes sense if you have giant tits.
Err, but she's a woman, and females are shorter than males in DA2. I doubt that her hipster scarf is providing protection, so neck is totally exposed. It makes more sense as a target for slashing and piercing blows.

DraQ said:
Actually, the bearded guy with "emo" hair might be the only character in DA2 that looks somewhat sensible, though it may because of his "WTF am I doing here? Uh, guys? Anyone?" look, which I can't help but sympathize with him for.
Um, really?
JePUL.jpg

Really?
Urjyy.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Stainless Veteran said:
DraQ said:
Um, really?
JePUL.jpg

Really?
Urjyy.jpg
Oh, :rage:

He looked somewhat sympathetic and mostly 'normal' in the apron shot.
I retract my statement.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nael said:
Jools said:

/img]

Still, it makes no sense: yeah, leaving such a big/large/protruding target (the tits) open and vulnerable may not get the wearer a deadly injury/wound there, but any attacker would just hack/slash/pierce/hit/punch there just to cause some pain, and then while the whore is distracted/cringing because of mentioned pain, kill her with ease.

My point is, if a designer wants to make something that makes no sense in the name of sex, fine (see picture i posted), but that apron doesn't make any sense from any perspective belonging to homo sapiens.

Nael

Arcane
Jools said:
Nael said:
Jools said:

/img]

Still, it makes no sense: yeah, leaving such a big/large/protruding target (the tits) open and vulnerable may not get the wearer a deadly injury/wound there, but any attacker would just hack/slash/pierce/hit/punch there just to cause some pain, and then while the whore is distracted/cringing because of mentioned pain, kill her with ease.

My point is, if a designer wants to make something that makes no sense in the name of sex, fine (see picture i posted), but that apron doesn't make any sense from any perspective belonging to homo sapiens.

If you say so. The apron still makes 1000% more sense than that bikini picture you linked. Plus if you notice the tree branch on her back you would realize that she's a mage. So wearing a full suit of plate armor is likely out of the question.

Gah.. I can't believe I'm defending DA2. I just think if you have a gripe with it, pick something better than the chainmail apron that a female mage is wearing because I can point to a lot of CODEX APPROVED games that have much stupider examples of heroic attire and overall aesthetics for their characters. I'm not naming any names though...

:smug:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Nael said:
[etc etc]If you say so. The apron still makes 1000% more sense than that bikini picture you linked.

From a "feasibility" point of view, you are absolutely right (that said, it's a chainmail apron... I mean, an apron...). But from a "will-this-merely-aesthetic-choice-give-our-fans-a-boner?" point of view (which seems to be the main drive behind any bioware design choice), the steelkini makes much more sense IMHO.

DraQ

Arcane
Nael said:
Gah.. I can't believe I'm defending DA2. I just think if you have a gripe with it, pick something better than the chainmail apron that a female mage is wearing because I can point to a lot of CODEX APPROVED games that have much stupider examples of heroic attire and overall aesthetics for their characters. I'm not naming any names though...

:smug:
I can give DA2 that - it's retarded, but still less retarded than your typical chainmail bikini.

Still, it gets negative points for actually trying and failing to be more grimdark and 'realistic' and for character design - see the one with nomable head or freak elven tatoos in general, or just plain inexcusable mook design.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What happened to good old 1980's sword-and-sorcery chainmail bikinis? Those were the sexiest and also the least ridiculous. Just a chainmail bra and chainmail panties, the rest of the body is naked, except for maybe a pair of sandals. Yes, it's also impractical and useless, but it's also practically weightless and doesn't look so incredibly DERP.

There are only two ways to make female armor: make it sexy but not too impractical (too impractical is anything that looks like it'd just be in the way without offering any significant protection), or make it realistic (chainmail that covers the complete upper body can be sexy too, as can be properly shaped platemail).

Any of these COOL AND UNIQUE armour designs such as chainmail aprons or chain shirts with holes in the arms are neither sexy nor realistic, and therefore just derp. Same goes for male armors: make them look realistic, not COOL. Gigantic fucking shoulder pads are a disease that has to be purged from the world of art design.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
JarlFrank said:
What happened to good old 1980's sword-and-sorcery chainmail bikinis? Those were the sexiest and also the least ridiculous. Just a chainmail bra and chainmail panties, the rest of the body is naked, except for maybe a pair of sandals. Yes, it's also impractical and useless, but it's also practically weightless and doesn't look so incredibly DERP.

There are only two ways to make female armor: make it sexy but not too impractical (too impractical is anything that looks like it'd just be in the way without offering any significant protection), or make it realistic (chainmail that covers the complete upper body can be sexy too, as can be properly shaped platemail).

Any of these COOL AND UNIQUE armour designs such as chainmail aprons or chain shirts with holes in the arms are neither sexy nor realistic, and therefore just derp. Same goes for male armors: make them look realistic, not COOL. Gigantic fucking shoulder pads are a disease that has to be purged from the world of art design.

My point exactly.

Anyway, a little homage to the 80-90's fantasy imaginary.

Boris-Vallejo-Invictus.jpg

frazetta_a_princess_of_mars.jpg

boris3.jpg

Nael

Arcane
I think this conversation between JarlFrankenfurter and Jools has helped me understand the Codex a little bit more.

:salute:

tennishero

Novice
ah the 80s

back when you could make games for manly men
women had to half almost no clothes on
kept their mouths shut and their chests large and heaving

better times

that reminds me of the greatest cover for a video game ever made

563326_91977_front.jpg

oh my, there is so much awesome going on there i want to scream

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whining about female armor in fantasy settings is pointless. It's always going to be like it is because of the nature of those that imagine females wearing this type of thing in the first place: sexless, spotty, overweight nerds. For the same reason men are always hulking Conan types, or were, as now there is a real emo faggot vibe to fantasy heroes due to the Wapanese influence. For a lardarse living in a basement, the 'emo' is more psychologically attuned to their nature than the 'Conan', even though every fat fuck would prefer to be a Conan.

Black

Arcane
commie said:
Whining about female armor in fantasy settings is pointless. It's always going to be like it is because of the nature of those that imagine females wearing this type of thing in the first place: sexless, spotty, overweight nerds. For the same reason men are always hulking Conan types, or were, as now there is a real emo faggot vibe to fantasy heroes due to the Wapanese influence. For a lardarse living in a basement, the 'emo' is more psychologically attuned to their nature than the 'Conan', even though every fat fuck would prefer to be a Conan.
Pay attention to my posts, fag.

DraQ said:
*Beyte Fyr remains unimpressed by your inane shenanigans*

I wonder if she'll stay unimpressed when I shove a sword in those exposed elbows of hers.

Jarlfrank said:

No. Chainmail bikini is the single most derpish thing to come out of fantasy. It's even more targeted towards prepubescent nerds than wish-fulfillment huge barbarians, which is kind of a feat in itself. Being more honest about its own retardation isn't a excuse.

queensonja1007.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom