Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

hiver

Strange color for albino, you have to say... kinds looked dark grayish-black to me.
Ah well... what can you do... its a black albino :P

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Seriously guys look at all the different roles you can play in Arma II
(ignore the unpromising start)

magnificent and compelling

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
TaleWorlds discusses Dragon Age and Archonsod chips in with his version of RPG history:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,220688.60.html

For some reason some fuckwits seem to think things like being turn-based, having more numbers than an excel spreadsheet and several different types of ears were somehow 'good' rather than 'irritations we were forced to put up with because there was no other choice'. While there probably is a hard core of closet accountants who found themselves wanking over the mathematic formula in say Might & Magic, you ask most players what they liked about it and they'll tend to mention things like the story, humour and similar. Not in fact the retarded turn based combat; utter lack of personality of the characters or the fact they could choose from eight slightly different types of elf. And that's before we get into the fact that 90% of the game was grinding through combats generated via a random table in order to get to the next bit of story exposition. In fact Mass Effect is pretty much the ultimate old school RPG; you still spend 90% of your time grinding through combat to reach the next bit of exposition, but at least the combat is rather more interactive (and thus fun) than watching a menu pop up asking if you'd like to swing or thrust with your +5 lamp of scurvy and then twiddling your fingers for two minutes while the computer pretends to be rolling dice (I mean seriously, why the fuck would you want virtualised die rolls? It's not like you're sat in front of a device inherently designed to do large calculations at blinding speeds ...).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Picard+Headdesk.jpg

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
TaleWorlds discusses Dragon Age and Archonsod chips in with his version of RPG history:

For some reason some fuckwits seem to think things like being turn-based, having more numbers than an excel spreadsheet and several different types of ears were somehow 'good' rather than 'irritations we were forced to put up with because there was no other choice'. While there probably is a hard core of closet accountants who found themselves wanking over the mathematic formula in say Might & Magic, you ask most players what they liked about it and they'll tend to mention things like the story, humour and similar. Not in fact the retarded turn based combat; utter lack of personality of the characters or the fact they could choose from eight slightly different types of elf. And that's before we get into the fact that 90% of the game was grinding through combats generated via a random table in order to get to the next bit of story exposition. In fact Mass Effect is pretty much the ultimate old school RPG; you still spend 90% of your time grinding through combat to reach the next bit of exposition, but at least the combat is rather more interactive (and thus fun) than watching a menu pop up asking if you'd like to swing or thrust with your +5 lamp of scurvy and then twiddling your fingers for two minutes while the computer pretends to be rolling dice (I mean seriously, why the fuck would you want virtualised die rolls? It's not like you're sat in front of a device inherently designed to do large calculations at blinding speeds ...).
my brian, it melts

it's like that thing cleve was talking about

jesus fuck, this just might be dumbfuckery distilled, 100% pure idiocy

also it seems that sergeant meltdown, apart from his own pool of unholy eye-gouging pics, is some sort of catalyst that enables other users to find the juiciest bits

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I've spotted him at RPS as well, thanks to other Codexers highlighting threads from there. The same guy is always at the forefront, waging holy war against turn-based combat and stat-based character building. I've sometimes wondered how he could stomach Mount & Blade, as it still has meaningful stats.

MMXI

Arcane
I've spotted him at RPS as well, thanks to other Codexers highlighting threads from there. The same guy is always at the forefront, waging holy war against turn-based combat and stat-based character building.
Wizardry put him in his place. He doesn't seem to be as active there as he used to be.

:rpgcodex:

I've spotted him at RPS as well, thanks to other Codexers highlighting threads from there. The same guy is always at the forefront, waging holy war against turn-based combat and stat-based character building.
Wizardry put him in his place. He doesn't seem to be as active there as he used to be.

:rpgcodex:

And we thank you for that. :salute:

Lord Haw Haw

Educated
BSN-tard wrote:

"I've ... loved this game. I was emotionally attached. I'm not kidding. I have a PhD. I'm a 49 year old father of two, both of my kids loved this game too. I pre-ordered 3 copies of the collector's edition.

And I just want to cry.

How .. how can the game be so sublimly good for the first 90% ( I was into Tali, played the game right and didn't lose anyone I wasn't forced to, got to sit on her homeworld talking about our future ), and then just ... fail. The incongruity here is what keeps making me think there *must* be more. Its like watching a world class tennis player lose to .. well me.

Can this really be it?

And let me tell you. I have no pride here. I'm not interested in 'teaching bioware a lesson', I don't care about paying for DLC. If they said 'we screwed up, give us 6 months and we'll have something for you' ... I'd preorder 3 more copies.

This *isn't* a game. This is interactive literature of great quality. That seems to have been defaced."

That, my dear Codex, is a text-book example of a cuckold.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
A thread at BSN, titled "So we can't get the ending we want after all? " was created 17 days ago.
It now stands at 1530 pages. I am very much impressed at this celebration of free speech.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9512916/1530

a recent post there:
When they want us to be quiet we will be loud,
When they want us to be loud we will be quiet.

When they want us to attack we will fall back,
When they want us to fall back we will attack.

We shall not fall, we shall not falter.

We will hold the line.
Magnificent. In time I hope mr weller too, gets fans like this for Iron Tower Studios.

speaking of fans like that

"Why I trust you Bioware. (My Bioware Testimony.) (I <3 Priestly)"
http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...ware-Testimony-I-lt3-Priestly-10043100-1.html
Bellow is my testimony to why I trust Bioware. I want other people to post their own stories of the effect Bioware had on them as gamers prior to ME3, and how ME3 effects that perspective.

I have already heard the Bad.
I have already heard the Ugly.
I want to hear the Good.
---
Bioware was my icon, the beacon of hope in a slowly dimming world. Compared to the rest of the industry they ARE the golden standard. When Bioware makes a game, I'm always forerunning with my money to Pre-Order.

Many years ago my love for Bioware started with Five Dollars and a used game on E-Bay called Bulder's Gate. I was young at the time. But I loved the game. The storyline, the plot twists. The game inspired me to become a gamer as up to that point I'd been exposed to nothing but Wolfenstein and I wasn't much of a '****/FPS/WW2' game fan.

It would be a few years that other game companies would step in, like Sony Online Entertainment. Star Wars Galaxies. It was from SOE I learned the Industry had a Dark Side, the cash cows seeking to take and rip off what was good and merely turn a prophet.

Then there was Prince of Persia: Sand of Time. I loved that game. And the follow up, Two Thrones. But then the DRM things started to happen but I stuck with Ubisoft until the Relaunch of Prince of Persia happened where the end of the story wasn't released to the PC. It was then that I boycotted Ubisoft.

At that time DRM was the norm, security software to treat the paying consumer like dirt while the pirates as always got the free pass they were so ept at taking. They treated PC gamers like crooks and were surprised when PC gamers stopped buying a lot of their games. No surprise that the amount of their games pirated outweights the amount purchaced.

However golden was always Bioware. Their was copy protection, sure. But the big message I felt playing games like Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic was that they wanted to make good games more then they wanted big checks. Like it was a passion. A passion that died with Ubisoft a long, long time ago.

Bioware wasn't an Idol to me, but it was and still is an Icon of what a game company should be. I didn't but Dragon Age. I'm tired of fantasy games as a whole but the Mass Effect series was one I dug into first oppertunity.

When Mass Effect came out on the consoles I was online patitioning and promising to buy it off the store shelves. I was front line for it. When Bioware gave us Mass Effect for the PC I hauled ass to the store and bought it.

I LOVE Mass Effect. It is an awesome game with an awesome plot with awesome inovations and a creative Sci-Fi universe that in sheer scope outweighed Star Wars when it was first released on VHS. (Granted star wars is bigger (In size) now by fan growth.)

I saw something that angered me, how many people were pirating Mass Effect, I told myself I would make up as much slack as I could feasably afford. That game as an oppertunity when I Pre-Ordered Mass Effect 2, Collector's Edition. As I've stated before. The extra armor, etc, meant very little to me. My extra money down on it was a support of Bioware.

I wasn't let down. Mass Effect 2 was amazing, high quality, it improoved on the second, and while more 'Shooteresque' then the first it maintained it's storyline edge. I bought every DLC bundle I could as fast as I could with a smile on my face.

I tracked the devs some, smiled and said to myself, "I support these people."

Then came Mass Effect 3 and the event I call 'The Shaking'.

It was amazing, it was EVERYTHING I wanted in the game, until the end.
I was pissed off, I was hot as a hornet. I felt betrayed.
However it made me think back about my history with Bioware. How they had never let me down before. It lead me to the forums where I posted many posts, some stupid ones about how PO'd I was and how I was going to 'never buy again and cancel this and that.' But then I realized, I was spouting hot air. I love Bioware. They gave me years of great entertainment and never failed me before.

So I investigated the ending and was one of the people who spread the Indoctrination Theory. I trust Bioware. And I knew that even though ME3 was out and it was the last in the Shepard Series that it wasn't the end of the story until they announced their final DLC.

A lot of people, me included didn't like this move. But I came to terms with it. Bioware had earned my trust over years and years of quality. I'm not going to let it break over one mistake.

I'M not the only one either. If people truely disparaged and hated Bioware you wouldn't have people dropping such a massive amount of self hurt on the forums over the way the ending made them feel. There wouldn't be Donations in the name of changing the ending.

Plainly put, Mass Effect has the potential to be the next Star Wars. But people feel like they just watched Luke Skywalker get fried to death by the emperor and like Darth Vader's final moment of redemption was in vein.

BIOWARE STAFF MEMBERS: I have faith in you. I know you won't let me down. I've been with you for many years. I know you won't let this be the end of the road. You've never let me down before and I know you won't. It's not in your nature.

Bioware is one of the last companies that value games as more then a way to make money. But everyone makes mistakes. But I trust bioware, much in the way they changed and advanced the games. To deal with the mistakes they make.

Please, don't forsake Bioware. Give them time fix what went wrong.

Support them working on correcting what mistakes they made.

No more "I quit you fail-corps." No more, "B i o d r o n e" posts.

I know I will continue to support Bioware. When they provide a release that will give the closure Mass Effect 3 promised, I will be there. With my money in hand. Ready to help the game company that has never failed me.
:hero:

Multi-headed Cow

Why the spaces on biodrone? Is that censored on BSN or something? And why the fuck does he love Priestly? Loving Bioware's one thing, but Priestly had nothing to do with Bioware beyond sitting on a forum and writing teh a lot.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

Why exactly does one have to be some closet accountant to play Might and Magic?

The Might and Magic games have been the simplest and most accessible RPGs to play, nearly as accessible or even more so than modern RPGs. Their real meat is in their exploration, exploration-based problem solving, and the ways in which you use spellcasting and skills to reach obscure unreachable areas.

Even early Elder Scrolls games have more number-crunching than Might and Magic.

The best thing is how he implies one can't have enjoyed the turn-based combat/ stats/ numbers AND the story / humour. It's one thing or the other, anyone who says otherwise is a fuckwit :mad:

I agree with him regarding the processing power of computers being wasted, though he seems to believe modern RPGs make much better use of it :lol:

MMXI

Arcane
I agree with him regarding the processing power of computers being wasted, though he seems to believe modern RPGs make much better use of it :lol:
I hate how he mentions "dice rolls" because faggots who mention "dice rolls" don't seem to realise that almost every single video game uses a random number generator. They use the term in a derogatory way, just like "spreadsheets" (as he did too), but fail to understand that a simulated dice roll is merely a range clamped random integer.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"When they want us to be quiet we will be loud,
When they want us to be loud we will be quiet.

When they want us to attack we will fall back,
When they want us to fall back we will attack.

We shall not fall, we shall not falter.

We will hold the line."

That's the perfect Codexers. Contrary for the sake of being contrary.

R00fles!​

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom