Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
nv herd of iit

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

vonAchdorf

Arcane
FJxwsUy.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I learned a year ago that they started allowing students at my old secondary school to take their laptops to class, when before you could only do that if you had a legitimate physical ailment that made writing difficult for you and a latter from the headmaster confirming it. Only person in the whole school I know of who got that was a guy with a metabolism defect which made tiny and as thin as a rake.

What a strange world we're going in to.

Jigawatt

Arcane
I learned a year ago that they started allowing students at my old secondary school to take their laptops to class, when before you could only do that if you had a legitimate physical ailment that made writing difficult for you and a latter from the headmaster confirming it. Only person in the whole school I know of who got that was a guy with a metabolism defect which made tiny and as thin as a rake.

What a strange world we're going in to.

Last week I was talking to a parent of a kid entering year 7 next year who is required to have a laptop for class. If you don't provide one the school will loan you a crappy netbook. Needless to say we both found it completely ridiculous for that age, but there you go.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
lol that's p. absurd. I study IS and I don't even need to carry a laptop, any kind of class that requires computer is done on the lab. The fuck a school kid needs it for?

Sounds like stupid school marketing "mah son is gonna be the next steve jobs" kind of deal.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Last week I was talking to a parent of a kid entering year 7 next year who is required to have a laptop for class. If you don't provide one the school will loan you a crappy netbook. Needless to say we both found it completely ridiculous for that age, but there you go.
Year 7 seems kinda reasonable no? It's not like they are saying they will be using the laptop for the whole 6 hours. Even back in my day (yeah not that long ago) 17-18 years ago, there were required basic computer classes once a week for an hour. To a certain degree that has to go up as computer use in everyday life has gone up, also the danger of uniformed computer/net use has gone up.

Maybe 1 to two hours a day, 3-4 days a week is something I could understand. Besides at this point writing on paper is basically a dead skill anyway, you've got maybe one more generation that will bother to use it in tests before the whole thing switches over to keyboards and screens. With the right setup it will be easier to monitor (huehue) and maybe even allow for semi real time questions to prevent cheating.

Edit: Hell doesn't England have compulsory codding classes in primary schools now? That level of education has almost always been useless skills and trivia that are more about teaching kids how to learn rather than specific important ideas. It's secondary school where they basically reboot, make sure you understand the basics of numbers/science/English in the first year and then actually start to teach more complex things.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
lol that's p. absurd. I study IS and I don't even need to carry a laptop, any kind of class that requires computer is done on the lab. The fuck a school kid needs it for?

Sounds like stupid school marketing "mah son is gonna be the next steve jobs" kind of deal.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Besides at this point writing on paper is basically a dead skill anyway
Writing yes. Sketching nope. You may say tablets but tablets are relatively expensive and less comfortable than pen and paper.

I remember a retard saying "yay, I'll write all my notes on laptop in uni!" and then he took his first algebra lecture.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Everyone in my school does take their notes on a laptop. Either they have something like a Surface and write with a stylus or they TeX the notes as they take them.

Yes.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Everyone in my school does take their notes on a laptop. Either they have something like a Surface and write with a stylus or they TeX the notes as they take them.

Yes.

The nice part is that you can sync trello or other note taking software so everything will be saved online and can be accessed by phone or other electronic devices.
Pretty handy when shopping or trying to check back on the notes.
Nice categorization too.
Better than paper notes that can go missing or stored faraway from the person who currently need it.
Also vastly easier to share notes and be popular due to it.

So I don't really understand complaints other than old farts people whining over young people using and talking about things they don't understand.
Just like old farts golden citizens two decades earlier did to them I guess.

pippin

When taking notes I vastly prefer paper to anything electronic.

The safest way to keep notes is writing on an actual notebook with a lead pencil. That way, if it gets wet for some reason, you don't lose what you wrote. Ink would get fucked up if that happened.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I remember how fucking infuriating it was when some wise-ass cunt would take a laptop to a lecture, and all I would hear was the distracting torrent of constant TAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAP

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They did... sort of. GOG is just "gog", not Good Old Games anymore.

These games lead the way on our the transition from Good Old Games to simply GOG.com. It doesn’t matter what G, O, and G stand for, Gee Oh Gee dot com stands for high-quality, DRM-free gaming, each week with bigger and newer games.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom