Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Activision released Goat Simulator 2:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
wut.png

Caim

Arcane
Nintendo knows their Pokemon fans better than I thought...
Perhaps. I get that they made a pika-butt, but why Swablu as well? I don't think that there are that many bird fuckers amongst Pokemon fans. At least, not the ones focussing on Swablu.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/201...ses-trademark-battle-for-dieselstormers-title
Today in breathtakingly stupid trademark disputes - indie developer Black Forest Games has lost a battle to name its "roguelike coop run’n’gun game" DieselStormers, after a complaint from fashion label Diesel. Who make jeans.

I'm admittedly no expert on trademark law, but this sort of things really gets on my nipples. The Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market apparently decided that a game about people with gas tanks on their backs shooting each other was a serious infringement on the ridiculously wide-ranging trademark of a company that makes denim trousers. I don't get it.

It's a blow for Black Forest, which was gearing up to release DieselStormers after a successful Kickstarter campaign midway through last year. Still, the team plans to forge ahead under a new title.

“This decision has caught us with our pants down," writes managing director Adrian Goersch. "We are quite surprised that our trademark application has been formally denied. We are no multinational corporation, we cannot fight this decision, even though, frankly, it is a disaster with indie marketing as difficult as it is today. But the history of this game and our company as a whole has been marked with tough challenges and we will manage to overcome this one as well. First of all, we will make sure everyone will be able to keep playing the game, then we'll come back with a new name.”"

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck, but Diesel is just a fuel. A fucking fuel. A fucking fuel named after the last name of the German dude who invented it, Rudolf Diesel.

And then a fashion label that has the same name goes on suing people for using the name for their product :retarded:

In b4 they demand Vin Diesel to change his last name, and force all the languages in the world to come up with a new term for Diesel fuel and Diesel engines because obviously, only they are allowed to use that name. Also, every person ever who has Diesel as his or her last name should change it, it's not like it's a completely normal last name. :retarded:

I should found a company named Miller-Smith, trademark the name and start suing everyone who uses it.

Fucking hell this is so retarded :retarded:

pippin

That's a pre-emptive measure and follows the same logic than Zenimax/Bethesda not allowing Notch to use the word Scrolls. If they hadn't blocked Notch's Scrolls game, some other company would have released a game called, let's say, "The Old Scrolls". If Bethesda tried to sue the company that made The Old Scrolls, they would point at Notch and say, "you didn't stopped him, why are you stopping us?". The same goes for this Diesel company. It's ridiculous, though, but that's how legal stuff works.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's a pre-emptive measure and follows the same logic than Zenimax/Bethesda not allowing Notch to use the word Scrolls. If they hadn't blocked Notch's Scrolls game, some other company would have released a game called, let's say, "The Old Scrolls". If Bethesda tried to sue the company that made The Old Scrolls, they would point at Notch and say, "you didn't stopped him, why are you stopping us?". The same goes for this Diesel company. It's ridiculous, though, but that's how legal stuff works.

But then, Diesel is actually a thing that is sold. Diesel engines. Diesel fuel. While theoretically, someone could offer scrolls as a product, that doesn't really happen, so trademarking "Scrolls" as the name of a game makes sense. Also, Notch wanted to make a game called Scrolls, The Elder Scrolls is also a game. Both products are of the same industry.

But a clothes label called "Diesel" complaining about a game being called "DieselStormers" is a whole other level. When you go to a fuel station, you can buy Diesel fuel there. Diesel engines are a thing that have probably existed way longer than the fashion label (I dunno when the fashion label was founded, but probably much later than Diesel invented his engine). There's even a scifi/fantasy subgenre called Dieselpunk because its technology is Diesel-related, kinda like Cyberpunk and Steampunk are focused on cyber and steam tech. Just to clarify: THERE IS A GENRE CALLED DIESELPUNK BECAUSE DIESEL IS AN ACTUAL REAL TECHNOLOGY REFERRING TO MOTORS AND FUEL WHICH ARE ACTUALLY REALLY USED IN CARS NOWADAYS.

That's like me founding a company that makes toilet paper, calling it Petroleum, and then suing everyone who uses the name Petroleum in a computer game because my company is named Petroleum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom