Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bah, amateurs. Pros only use one drive.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I didn't realise it until now, but I miss floppies.

Those annoying sounds are associated with some of the best gaming experiences of my life.

Tell me about it. Right now I have a 3.5" USB floppy drive hooked up to my computer while I test the floppies on my old OLD games. I was originally planning on listening to music on headphones while doing so, but quickly turned it off because I realized that part of using floppy drives is listening to them in order to spot problems.

And my ear for that has remained pretty good, almost 20 years after I stopped using them. I tested two games yesterday, both released in 1993, one that came on 9 floppies and one that came on 8. the 9-floppy game had 3 disks with bad sectors (of which the program asked me to reformat 2 of them) and is probably useless. The 8-floppy one, however, is in perfect condition. At first I thought the 8-disk one was börked as well due to the odd sounds I heard, but it turns out that 7 of the 8 floppies are stuffed to the brim - not a single byte or sector free on the disks. (Last disk has roughly 40k free.)

Unfortunately I'm coming across games that are on 5.25" floppies, and even though I do own a B: drive (several, in fact) I just can't be arsed to install one to test the disks.

A user named cat

WinUAE (Amiga emulator) has floppy drive sound emulation you can enable for you nostalgia fetishists, it's pretty cool.

Ci7GfTn.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
He rams the horses of another chariot with his chariot wheels at roughly the 1:00 mark, and all we get are flying sparks?

Those horses should be bleeding strips of meat after having those wheels cut them up at that speed.

Astral Rag

Arcane
True, it's not perfect but check out those animations and those physics and that blur + bloom, a AAA quality arcade racing game indeed, and it's only €22 on Steam!

Riskbreaker

Another good reason to hate crap like that: those games provide Jim Sterling's YT channel with constantly increasing viewership, and Mr Sterling himself with a steady stream of revenue.
That, by itself, is enough to negate their lulzy value.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom